PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question: Advertising and Non-Profit Crowdfunding

Teddy
2013-06-03, 03:13 PM
I'm currently involved in a project for which we've recently launched a crowdfunding campaign to pay for the rather expensive building materials which will be required. The project itself is strictly non-profit in nature (working to create something which will be displayed and used at a festival next year) and all of us who work with it are volunteers, but as is customary, the crowdfunding campaign itself offers reward tiers to those willing to pitch in.

Now, this poses a dilemma, because I'd like to put a link to this campaign in my signature, but the offering of rewards in exchange for funds could be considered somewhat similar to selling goods, and I don't want to run afoul of the commercial advertising bans, so I thought I'd better ask: could we get an official clarification of where the lines between non-profit and commercial in terms of crowdfunding campaigns actually are drawn?

Roland St. Jude
2013-06-03, 03:26 PM
Sheriff: Offering rewards in exchange for funds does seem like a commercial transaction. Look for the Kickstarter thread in whatever subforum seems relevant and put a post there. Make sure to follow the rules for that thread. That seems to be the appropriate place to mention crowdfunded efforts at this time.