PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.X] In the Mind of Madness

Kinsmarck
2013-06-03, 04:27 PM
Hello again, Playgrounders. Got a little question for you.

I'm putting together a mid-to-high-level BBEG themed around Lovecraftian madness. So far, the build I've got for him is a Sorcerer/Alchemist(Vivisectionist archetype) with a bit of Mindbender and Dread Witch thrown in for good measure. What I'm missing now are some really nice, flavorful but effective feats for him. If you've any other ideas, feel free to toss them my way, but feats are what I'm really after. Anything Pathfinder is allowed, and 3.x splatbooks are allowed on a case-by-case basis.

Show me some madness!

Aegis013
2013-06-03, 05:36 PM
How about the willing deformity stuff from Heroes of Horror? (3.5)

It doesn't do much for your BBEG, but it certainly has the theme you want.

Fell Drain and Fell Frighten metamagics from 3.5 stuff too. Or PF versions if they've been converted.

Humble Master
2013-06-03, 05:41 PM
Give him the feat Graft Flesh (I found it in Fiend Folio but it might be elsewere). It lets him stick things like tentacles and claws and more tentacles to himself and his minions as magical items.

Edit: Have the BBEG say stuff like: “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."
durring the fight to make him seem even more Cthulhu'y

Kinsmarck
2013-06-03, 06:38 PM
Ooo, deformity's nice, but I like Graft Flesh even better. Definitely fits with his mad alchemist motif. I'll have to check around for Fell Frighten/Drain.

I'm also kicking around the idea of replacing his Sorcerer levels with Oracle. I think it could make him even more unsettling for the players if they realize he's actually wielding some manner of divine magic rather than garden variety arcane madhattery. Sort of the "What in the hells would be granting power to him?" response. The hiccup with that shift is, it seems like arcane magic's got more in the way of enchantment and fittingly madness-themed spells. Insight, anyone?