PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 DPR Help

shortnsweet456
2013-06-03, 04:28 PM
I am DMing a game for a group of people new to the D&D system, though they have role playing experience to a small degree in other systems. This is currently a level 5 party, with a human warblade, an elf necromancer, a human barbarian (who instead of rage has a lyncanthropy-like change shape into a lion), and a character who just died.

The previous character, 1 dragonshamen/4 duskblade. He was very unhappy with his character, and whined until the party effectively killed him. I am letting him come back as a level 5 character provided he stops whining and shapes up his attitude, but I am trying to help him come back with a character he'd be happy with. The role he wants to play is either melee or ranged DPS, but he seems to favor ranged DPR from what I've noticed of his play style. I do not allow anything from dragon magazines or dragon books, and I allow homebrews that are slight modifications such as the barbarian above, and am more lenient about thematic changes. The starting state array the have is 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17.

Anyone have any ideas for directions I could point him in?

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-03, 04:29 PM
DPR

Round or Turn is the basic unit of 'time', and it is six seconds....

/pedant

shortnsweet456
2013-06-03, 04:32 PM
DPR

Round or Turn is the basic unit of 'time', and it is six seconds....

/pedant

fixed, thanks :-)

Aegis013
2013-06-03, 04:34 PM
Wilders (from Expanded Psionic Handbook) make pretty good blasters, which would let him be ranged DPR.

Alternatively Sorcerer or Warmage if you don't like psionics.

You can find archery handbooks floating around the internets if he wants to use a bow and arrows, although it's not the strongest, it can hold its own if you build it well.

Fable Wright
2013-06-03, 04:36 PM
Perhaps a Swift Hunter build?

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-03, 04:46 PM
I ran a rogue based off of thrown weapons and TWF who could do some nice DPR. Using throw weapons is a rare situation where you can get your full set of iterative attacks, another set of off-hand attacks with the TWF chain of feats, plus an additional attack with your primary hand using the Rapid Shot feat.

By 5th level, a human rogue should already be able to pick up Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, and Two-Weapon Fighting for 3 thrown attacks per round. PBS is a prerequisite for RS, but +1 attack and damage is certainly welcome too. Add in 3d6 sneak attack damage and you can seriously wreck an opponent's day.

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-03, 04:48 PM
Thrown weapon rogues tend to require grease happy wizards and sorcerers.