PDA

View Full Version : Assistance required building a Swordmage|Warlock/Coronal Guard.

Volfogg
2013-06-03, 04:50 PM
Hi All,

I usually just throw something together when it comes to playing 4e because most of the games I have been in end very quickly. However, this time I am playing with a group of close friends and believe that it will last longer than a month. In light of this I would like to see what everyone thinks of the character I have put together. I am sure that its fine as a defender but I just wanted to see if it could be better or if there were any critical errors I made. Please note that I am not an optimizer nor do I know the entirety of the 4e system. I put this together after reading several forums and handbooks. Hopefully what I have is a decent creation. As of right now I will be filling one of two rolls: Defender or Leader. The build below is the Defender build that I have put together. I will be posting another build (new topic) which will have be the Leader. Please have a look below and let me know what you think.

Clicky here for the build:====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Swordlock, level 20
Human, Swordmage|Warlock, Coronal Guard
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid) Option: Aegis of Shielding
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Swordmage Warding
Twofold Pact Option: Infernal Pact
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 23, DEX 12, INT 21, WIS 14, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 16, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 36 Fort: 33 Ref: 32 Will: 32
HP: 131 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 32

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +20, Athletics +15, Endurance +21, Intimidate +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Bluff +13, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +12, Heal +12, History +15,
Insight +12, Nature +12, Perception +12, Religion +15, Stealth +11, Streetwise +9, Thievery +11

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Shielding
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Swordmage Attack 1: Sword Burst
Warlock Attack 1: Hand of Blight (this will trigger Psychic Lock)
Warlock Attack 1: Hellish Rebuke
Warlock Pact Boon 1: Dark One's Blessing
Warlock Attack 1: Diabolic Grasp -> Soul Flaying @ lvl13
Warlock Utility 1: Armor of Agathys -> Armor of Summers glory @ lvl15
Warlock Utility 2: Charm of Hearts
Swordmage Attack 3: Dimensional Vortex
Swordmage Attack 3: Transposing Lunge
Swordmage Attack 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Swordmage Utility 6: Swordmage's Decree
Warlock Utility 9: Infectious Curse -> Deaths Resurgence or Ward of Scales @ lvl19
Warlock Utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Coronal Guard Attack 11: Countering Thunderclap
Coronal Guard Utility 12: Dragon Scales
Warlock Attack 13: Soul Flaying -> Despair of Zhudun @ lvl17
Warlock Attack 15: Armor of Summer's Glory
Warlock Utility 16: Painful Transference
Warlock Attack 17: Despair of Zhudun
Swordmage Attack 19: Death's Resurgence
Coronal Guard Attack 20: Avaunt Foe

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte-> improved initiative @ lvl11
Level 4: Mindbite Scorn
Level 6: War Wizard's Expertise
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Mark of Warding
Level 11: Double Aegis
Level 11: Improved Initiative
Level 12: Twofold Pact
Level 14: Protective Hex
Level 16: Shared Pact
Level 18: Psychic Lock
Level 20: Twofold Curse

ITEMS
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Helm of Able Defense x1
Feyleather Armor of Dark Majesty +4 x1
Aegis Blade Bastard sword +4 or Rubicant Blade Bastard sword +4 x1
Cloak of Translocation +4 x1
Eladrin Boots x1
====== End ======

Cheers
Volf

Yakk
2013-06-04, 07:48 AM
I would be tempted by the paragon riposte feat.

You have few [W] powers, and those you do have are low [W] count. Bastard Sword may not be worth it. A rapier is only one die size smaller, and opens you up to getting light blade stuff, like a pact blade.

With white lotus master riposte, the punishment you put on foes who attack you is pretty nasty. Do a hellish rebuke first, then if they attack you

I think that Shadow Blend is a kick-ass utility, and I dislike daily utilities.

Level 13: Killing flames. While you have lots to do with your immediate action, sometimes you just want to kill something. And I cannot see giving up an at-will attack for a chance at weakening a single target for one round. Then again, you retrain this, so who cares?

At level 17, Obedience's Reward looks more awesome than Despair of Zhundun. You will have a striker who will be able to out damage you.

Level 19, Ward of Scales. With the above "punish enemies for attacking you", you need "punish enemies for attacking allies" as much as possible to complete the catch-22.

Another tempting technique is to MC assassin, and pick up the warlock+assassin "shadow walk" feat. Near perma-concealment for 2 feats.

Painful Tranferance is cute, but I just love Hero's Defence. (It is a "no, that attack missed" ability)

Eladrin Ring and Lesser Ring of Feather Falling (because teleporting into the air is awesome, and the ring means you land on your feet and take no damage).

Shard of the Mage (at least Heroic) for +1 damage with all implement attacks.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Swordlock, level 20
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Will
Twofold Pact: Infernal Pact
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 23, Dex 12, Int 21, Wis 14, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 36 Fort: 33 Reflex: 32 Will: 32

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Bluff +13, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +12, Heal +12, History +15, Insight +12, Nature +12, Perception +12, Religion +15, Stealth +11, Streetwise +9, Thievery +11

FEATS
Human: Hybrid Talent
Level 1: White Lotus Riposte
Level 2: Improved Initiative (retrained to White Lotus Master Riposte at Level 11)

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Sword Burst
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Hand of Blight
Infernal Pact: Hellish Rebuke
Hybrid encounter 1: Diabolic Grasp
Hybrid daily 1: Armor of Agathys
Hybrid utility 2: Shadow Blend
Hybrid encounter 3: Transposing Lunge
Hybrid daily 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Hybrid utility 6: Swordmage's Decree
Hybrid encounter 7: Dimensional Vortex
Hybrid daily 9: Infectious Curse
Hybrid utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Hybrid encounter 13: Killing Flames (replaces Diabolic Grasp)
Hybrid daily 15: Armor of Summer's Glory (replaces Armor of Agathys)
Hybrid utility 16: Hero's Defense
Hybrid encounter 17: Obedience's Reward (replaces Killing Flames)
Hybrid daily 19: Ward of Scales (replaces Infectious Curse)

ITEMS
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Feyleather Armor of Dark Majesty +4, Cloak of Translocation +4, Helm of Able Defense (paragon tier), Eladrin Boots (paragon tier), Eladrin Ring of Passage (paragon tier), Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier), Lesser Ring of Feather Fall, Pact Blade - Raiment of Shadows Rapier +4
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Volfogg
2013-06-04, 09:24 AM
I would be tempted by the paragon riposte feat.

You have few [W] powers, and those you do have are low [W] count. Bastard Sword may not be worth it. A rapier is only one die size smaller, and opens you up to getting light blade stuff, like a pact blade.

With white lotus master riposte, the punishment you put on foes who attack you is pretty nasty. Do a hellish rebuke first, then if they attack you

I think that Shadow Blend is a kick-ass utility, and I dislike daily utilities.

Level 13: Killing flames. While you have lots to do with your immediate action, sometimes you just want to kill something. And I cannot see giving up an at-will attack for a chance at weakening a single target for one round. Then again, you retrain this, so who cares?

At level 17, Obedience's Reward looks more awesome than Despair of Zhundun. You will have a striker who will be able to out damage you.

Level 19, Ward of Scales. With the above "punish enemies for attacking you", you need "punish enemies for attacking allies" as much as possible to complete the catch-22.

Another tempting technique is to MC assassin, and pick up the warlock+assassin "shadow walk" feat. Near perma-concealment for 2 feats.

Painful Tranferance is cute, but I just love Hero's Defence. (It is a "no, that attack missed" ability)

Eladrin Ring and Lesser Ring of Feather Falling (because teleporting into the air is awesome, and the ring means you land on your feet and take no damage).

Shard of the Mage (at least Heroic) for +1 damage with all implement attacks.

Swordlock, level 20
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Shielding
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Will
Twofold Pact: Infernal Pact
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 23, Dex 12, Int 21, Wis 14, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 36 Fort: 33 Reflex: 32 Will: 32

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Bluff +13, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +12, Heal +12, History +15, Insight +12, Nature +12, Perception +12, Religion +15, Stealth +11, Streetwise +9, Thievery +11

FEATS
Human: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Improved Initiative (retrained to White Lotus Master Riposte at Level 11)

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Sword Burst
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Hand of Blight
Infernal Pact: Hellish Rebuke
Hybrid encounter 1: Diabolic Grasp
Hybrid daily 1: Armor of Agathys
Hybrid utility 2: Shadow Blend
Hybrid encounter 3: Transposing Lunge
Hybrid daily 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Hybrid utility 6: Swordmage's Decree
Hybrid encounter 7: Dimensional Vortex
Hybrid daily 9: Infectious Curse
Hybrid utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Hybrid utility 16: Hero's Defense

ITEMS
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Feyleather Armor of Dark Majesty +4, Cloak of Translocation +4, Helm of Able Defense (paragon tier), Eladrin Boots (paragon tier), Eladrin Ring of Passage (paragon tier), Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier), Lesser Ring of Feather Fall, Pact Blade - Raiment of Shadows Rapier +4
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Many thanks for the revised build and explaination Yakk! I gotta admit I feel pretty good about this character. I have never played a hybrid before but I believe this one is gonna rock.

I have one more question, in regards to the MC Assassin + Cursed Shadow trick ... which two feats could I replace? I noticed that trick in some of the other forums but the character is so feat starved I thought it best that I didn't bother trying to get them.

Again, thanks for your help!

Cheers
Volf

Yakk
2013-06-05, 07:18 AM
I would probably drop shared pact, unless you think it is a particularly good combo.

You are also minor action starved, between your swordmage aegis and your warlock's curse. An interesting option is to grab Relentless curse. Together with Relentless Curse, every time one cursed enemy drops the two nearest foes get Cursed. Which basically means you always have 2 foes cursed (because probably one of the two foes you cursed is still alive, and among the 2 nearest foes to you) without always having to spend minor actions on it. You can then spend your minor actions on armor of summer's glory and/or aegis re-marking or something else.

The build as written has two tricks already -- attack penalties for a pseudo-super-mark (curse then hit with a psychic lock), and catch-22 (rebuke, riposte, and mark punishments via swordmage powers).

Marked, Cursed foe hit with Hand of Blight takes a -6 penalty to attack your allies, and a -2 penalty to attack you. You gain a +2 item bonus to all of your defences against them (which is similar to another -2 penalty on your attacks).

With your cloak and always-teleport (you have an at-will teleport 4), your AC is usually 38 (level+18, not great, but not bad either). The real punishment for attacking you is your riposte and pact blade.

Oh wait -- Githyanki Silver Weapon -- that will let you turn *all* of your damage to Psychic, triggering Psychic lock with your Hellish Rebuke! Or your sword burst!

Drop the pact blade. Get a Githyanki Silver Longsword.

Now, Hellish Rebuke on a cursed but not marked foe deals 4d6+11 psychic damage, and is at a -4 to attack your allies and you (I'll treat your +2 item bonus as a -2 penalty, so long as you have no other item bonuses, which you don't). If they attack you, they take another 1d6+17 psychic damage and then you repeat the attack for another 4d6+11 psychic damage if it hits.

Now, this isn't top-end striker damage, but it is acceptable.

If you mark the target, the master riposte doesn't work, but I still think it can be worthwhile. One of your encounter swordmage punishment abilities doesn't require that the target be marked (Dimensional Vortex), so you still have a (weak) catch-22 to punish the foe with.

A side effect of this is you have a free at-will. Frigid Blade is some strong control (at-will almost-immobalize).

Volfogg
2013-06-06, 10:29 AM
I would probably drop shared pact, unless you think it is a particularly good combo.

You are also minor action starved, between your swordmage aegis and your warlock's curse. An interesting option is to grab Relentless curse. Together with Relentless Curse, every time one cursed enemy drops the two nearest foes get Cursed. Which basically means you always have 2 foes cursed (because probably one of the two foes you cursed is still alive, and among the 2 nearest foes to you) without always having to spend minor actions on it. You can then spend your minor actions on armor of summer's glory and/or aegis re-marking or something else.

The build as written has two tricks already -- attack penalties for a pseudo-super-mark (curse then hit with a psychic lock), and catch-22 (rebuke, riposte, and mark punishments via swordmage powers).

Marked, Cursed foe hit with Hand of Blight takes a -6 penalty to attack your allies, and a -2 penalty to attack you. You gain a +2 item bonus to all of your defences against them (which is similar to another -2 penalty on your attacks).

With your cloak and always-teleport (you have an at-will teleport 4), your AC is usually 38 (level+18, not great, but not bad either). The real punishment for attacking you is your riposte and pact blade.

Oh wait -- Githyanki Silver Weapon -- that will let you turn *all* of your damage to Psychic, triggering Psychic lock with your Hellish Rebuke! Or your sword burst!

Drop the pact blade. Get a Githyanki Silver Longsword.

Now, Hellish Rebuke on a cursed but not marked foe deals 4d6+11 psychic damage, and is at a -4 to attack your allies and you (I'll treat your +2 item bonus as a -2 penalty, so long as you have no other item bonuses, which you don't). If they attack you, they take another 1d6+17 psychic damage and then you repeat the attack for another 4d6+11 psychic damage if it hits.

Now, this isn't top-end striker damage, but it is acceptable.

If you mark the target, the master riposte doesn't work, but I still think it can be worthwhile. One of your encounter swordmage punishment abilities doesn't require that the target be marked (Dimensional Vortex), so you still have a (weak) catch-22 to punish the foe with.

A side effect of this is you have a free at-will. Frigid Blade is some strong control (at-will almost-immobalize).
That is awesome advice Yakk! Thanks. So, should I drop Shared Pact and pick up the Cursed Shadow trick or should I go with Relentless Curse instead? Oh, yeah, btw the Githyanki Silver sword trick is made of win!

Cheers
Volf

Yuukale
2013-06-06, 12:16 PM
I have some questions regarding this combination (swordmage-warlock):

is the OP build the best possible combination of these 2 elements to deal damage? I mean, is there room for more dmg?

And: is "fey pact" for a warlock-swordmage interested in dealing damage any worth?

thank you all

allonym
2013-06-06, 12:55 PM
The OP build could focus more on damage by taking Aegis of Assault instead of Aegis of Shielding, but that would end up being a significantly less effective defender, as Aegis of Shielding is by far the most effective of the three for doing a defender's job.

Fey Pact is perhaps the least damaging of the warlock pacts, and being cha-based is not ideal - a conlock has much more synergy with swordmage.

Yuukale
2013-06-06, 01:10 PM
is it possible to pull teleportation shenanigans nowadays? if so, does it have striker-dmg potential?

Volfogg
2013-06-06, 03:37 PM
is it possible to pull teleportation shenanigans nowadays? if so, does it have striker-dmg potential?
I am sure there are some tricks that can be done. For a better breakdown of what is/isn't available check out some of the handbooks over on the CharacterOp boards at www.wizards.com. You might find what you're looking for there. Also note that there is a topic found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285676) which details some teleporting shenanigans.

Cheers
Volf

VeliciaL
2013-06-06, 07:58 PM
For reference, here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649074/The_Complete_Collection_of_Character_Build_Links) is a decent post compiling all the handbooks, although I think it's a little outdated.

Yakk
2013-06-06, 09:44 PM
The build above is nowhere near max damage. It has other nice features, like -4 to hit debuff on basically every attack, and some fun out of turn stuff.

Volfogg
2013-06-07, 07:22 PM
Hi All,

Finally had the chance to sit down and redo the character. Please let me know if I missed anything. Just in case; this build goes with White Lotus Riposte and White Lotus Master Riposte, however. I had to drop Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword). I also picked up a Githyanki Longsword so that I can spam Psychic Lock with my attacks. Another change was the replacement of my original at will power.

Please click here for updated character:
Swordmage|Warlock/CG, level 20
Human, Swordmage/Warlock, Coronal Guard
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid) Option: Aegis of Shielding
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Twofold Pact Option: Infernal Pact
Hybrid Talent Option: Swordmage Warding
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 23, DEX 12, INT 21, WIS 14, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 16, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 36 Fort: 33 Ref: 32 Will: 32

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Shielding
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Swordmage Attack 1: Sword Burst
Swordmage Attack 1: Frigid Blade
Warlock Attack 1: Hellish Rebuke
Warlock Pact Boon 1: Dark One's Blessing
Warlock Utility 2: Charm of Hearts
Swordmage Attack 3: Dimensional Vortex
Swordmage Attack 3: Transposing Lunge
Swordmage Attack 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Swordmage Utility 6: Swordmage's Decree
Warlock Utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Coronal Guard Attack 11: Countering Thunderclap
Coronal Guard Utility 12: Dragon Scales
Warlock Utility 16: Hero's Defense
Coronal Guard Attack 20: Avaunt Foe

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Improved Initiative (replaced by White Lotus Master Riposte @ Lvl11)
Level 11: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 16: Relentless Curse

ITEMS
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Helm of Able Defense x1
Feyleather Armor of Dark Majesty +4 x1
Cloak of Translocation +4 x1
Eladrin Boots x1
Githyanki Silver Longsword +4 x1
Eladrin Ring of Passage x1
Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier)
====== End ======

Here's another idea; replace White Lotus Riposte and White Lotus Master Riposte with Practiced Killer and Cursed Shadow for more defendery goodness. Would this prove better than the current build?

Again, many thanks for all the awesome comments, help and advice!

Cheers
Volf

PS Gonna be posting a Warpriest build soon as I might have to fill the Leader role.