PDA

View Full Version : Help advancing two casters:

Os1ris09
2013-06-03, 09:55 PM
SO right now this is my build (LA buy off is allowed)

Aasimar

Warlock 2/ C-Cleric 3 / Eldritch Disciple 4

I plan on finishing out Eldritch Disciple to 9 or 10 haven't decided and I want to continue to progress both Casting Classes.

Are there any prestige classes that do this other than Eldrtich Discpile and Mystic Theurge from the DMG?

Crake
2013-06-04, 05:20 AM
SO right now this is my build (LA buy off is allowed)

Aasimar

Warlock 2/ C-Cleric 3 / Eldritch Disciple 4

I plan on finishing out Eldritch Disciple to 9 or 10 haven't decided and I want to continue to progress both Casting Classes.

Are there any prestige classes that do this other than Eldrtich Discpile and Mystic Theurge from the DMG?

mystic theurge and arcane heirophant are the only PrC that advance both arcane and divine spellcasting. Add on eldritch disciple since that advances warlock invoking and divine casting and those are your three options. Sadly arcane hierophant requires druid-y/ranger-y stuff, so your only option after eldritch disciple if you want to continue advancing both is mystic theurge

Chronos
2013-06-04, 08:56 AM
While Mystic Theurge can advance both Cleric and Warlock, you can't qualify for it without some other tricks. Alternative Source Spell or the Spell domain would probably both do it, but your DM is likely to consider either of those cheesy.

Strictly speaking, there are a few other dual-advancement PrCs, but they're all even harder to qualify for.

Os1ris09
2013-06-04, 11:38 AM
While Mystic Theurge can advance both Cleric and Warlock, you can't qualify for it without some other tricks. Alternative Source Spell or the Spell domain would probably both do it, but your DM is likely to consider either of those cheesy.

Strictly speaking, there are a few other dual-advancement PrCs, but they're all even harder to qualify for.

I thought there was a specific section in the Complete Arcane about Warlocks Qualifying for prestige classes that states that if you have an envocation of a certain level (such as an evocation that emulates a 3rd lvl spell) then you can qualify for prestige classes through that?

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-04, 01:41 PM
You qualify as having a caster level, but not spell slots. Therefore, you qualify for some PRC's, but not ones that specify the ability to cast a spell of X level.

Xervous
2013-06-04, 03:35 PM
By replacing cleric with ur-priest, you won't need to devote that many levels to advancing both classes, only enough to get ur-priest up to 9 or 10.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-04, 03:49 PM
You qualify as having a caster level, but not spell slots. Therefore, you qualify for some PRC's, but not ones that specify the ability to cast a spell of X level.

Supposedly, the Southern Magician feat can allow you to get by this by casting some of your divine spells as arcane spells.

Chronos
2013-06-04, 06:09 PM
Yeah, that's basically the same trick as Alternative Source Spell, mentioned above. Use your cleric casting to meet both the "able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells" and "able to cast 2nd-level divine spells" requirements.

Namfuak
2013-06-04, 06:18 PM
By replacing cleric with ur-priest, you won't need to devote that many levels to advancing both classes, only enough to get ur-priest up to 9 or 10.

I second Ur Priest. 2 levels of UP to qualify+9 ED levels gets you 10 UP levels (and at least 1 9th level spell per day, if you don't get more from ability scores) and 16 (at ECL 18) Warlock levels.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-04, 06:25 PM
I second Ur Priest.

Although you will need to check with your DM. Since an eldritch disciple "must worship a chaotic or evil deity" you may run into trouble with some DMs using a member of a class who "despise gods".

Os1ris09
2013-06-05, 05:46 PM
Although you will need to check with your DM. Since an eldritch disciple "must worship a chaotic or evil deity" you may run into trouble with some DMs using a member of a class who "despise gods".

You are correct however there is another reason that I can't play Ur-Priest.
Since the class is designed for an evil character and our PC's are the hero's of the campaign of which must be at worst neutral aligned I can't take Ur-Priest.

I found this out after having to clarify alignment constraints since our paladin is CN and I believed that alignment traits were waived. Alas I was wrong and my Warlock 5 / Ur-Priest 2 / Eldritch Disciple 2 was banished.

So I now am trying to find ways to progress both warlock and cleric without resorting to cheese since I can't continue to advance E.D. until post 20.

Any suggestions either than alternative spell source?

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-05, 10:50 PM
Okay, let's break down your dilemma. Eldritch Disciple requires at minimum Warlock 1, Cleric 3, and a total of 5 levels. So either Warlock 1/Cleric 4 or Warlock 2/Cleric 3 is your entry. This is followed by Eldritch Disciple 10. At this point you have 5 more levels befor you can start taking Epic levels of Eldritch Disciple. So you are looking for a prestige class that will advance divine spellcasting and either invocation-using or arcane spellcasting for 5 levels. Prerequisites for the class cannot include 'spellcasting' level requirements or the ability to cast spells of a certain level, but can include 'caster' level requirements or requirements to be able to cast a specific spell that the warlock can duplicate with an invocation.

Mystic Theurge (DMG 192) requires the ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells, so without Alternative Source or Southern Magician cheese, this is out.
Fochlucan Lyrist (CAdv 47) requires the ability to cast 1st-level arcane spells (as well as Bardic Knowledge and Evasion) so would also be problematic to enter.
Arcane Hierophant (RotW 108) requires the ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells (as well as Trackless step), so is actually harder than Mystic Theurge to achieve.
True Necromancer (LM 51) requires ability to cast command undead as an arcane spell. If you can figure out how to do this, you will get a level of arcane and one of divine at levels 1 and 2, respectively, then a level of each at levels 3-5.
Yathrinshee (PGtF 187) requires ability to cast spectral hand as an arcane spell, the Lichloved feat from BoVD and being a Drow Female. Honestly, True Necromancer would be easier.
Green Whisperer (Dragon 311) I don't have the actual source material, but understand there are no caster requirements. It is possible that there are requirements of another sort that would prevent this from working. If Dragon is allowed as a source in your campaign, it may be worth checking out.
Uncanny Trickster (CSco 67) This is a different sort of cheese, and may very well not be allowed by your DM. You take 3 levels, and two of those advance the existing class features of another class you have taken. The theory is that you can use this to further advance your Mystic Theurge class by two additional levels. In practice, many DMs will rule that once you have finished all 10 levels of Mystic Theurge, there is no way to take it further before reaching Epic levels. (DMG page 206 states "You can also advance the class level of a ten-level prestige class beyond 10th level, but only if the character level of the advancing character is already 20th or higher.")
Legacy Champion (WoL 19) This is the same cheese as Uncanny Trickster, but can advance 4 of the 5 levels you need.

Um...good luck...?

Os1ris09
2013-06-05, 11:37 PM
Okay, let's break down your dilemma. Eldritch Disciple requires at minimum Warlock 1, Cleric 3, and a total of 5 levels. So either Warlock 1/Cleric 4 or Warlock 2/Cleric 3 is your entry. This is followed by Eldritch Disciple 10. At this point you have 5 more levels befor you can start taking Epic levels of Eldritch Disciple. So you are looking for a prestige class that will advance divine spellcasting and either invocation-using or arcane spellcasting for 5 levels. Prerequisites for the class cannot include 'spellcasting' level requirements or the ability to cast spells of a certain level, but can include 'caster' level requirements or requirements to be able to cast a specific spell that the warlock can duplicate with an invocation.

Mystic Theurge (DMG 192) requires the ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells, so without Alternative Source or Southern Magician cheese, this is out.
Fochlucan Lyrist (CAdv 47) requires the ability to cast 1st-level arcane spells (as well as Bardic Knowledge and Evasion) so would also be problematic to enter.
True Necromancer (LM 51) requires ability to cast command undead as an arcane spell. If you can figure out how to do this, you will get a level of arcane and one of divine at levels 1 and 2, respectively, then a level of each at levels 3-5.

Um...good luck...?

Those possibilities might not be out of the question. I took the magic domain and can cast arcane spells as a wizard half my cleric level.

Currently this is my build:

Aasimar

C-Cleric 1 / Warlock 1 / C-Cleric 2 / Warlock 1 / E.D. 4 (bought off LA) so ECL 10

Domains: Knowledge, Magic, Travel (haven't traded domains away yet as I am still putting ranks into knowlege)

Magic Domain Power lets me cast arcane spells as a 1st level wizard. 1 Level of C-Cleric gets me as a 2nd level wizard I believe. Take Divine Oracle to 2 and get evasion for Clerics.

Now I believe i qualify for Fochlucan Lyrist?

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-06, 07:18 AM
I took the magic domain and can cast arcane spells as a wizard half my cleric level...

The Magic Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#magicDomain) does not allow you to cast arcane spells at all. You can merely use arcane scrolls, wands and other arcane spell completion or spell trigger devices.

The Divine Magician ACF from CM might be easier to get past your DM, although a lot of DMs will rule that the spells gained are cast as divine spells. I do not know of any official ruling on this - someone else in the playground might know.

Os1ris09
2013-06-07, 12:40 AM
Ok so I want to maximize both of my warlock abilities and my cleric casting. I want 9th level divine spells by 20 and as high of invocations as I can by 20.

Currently my build is as follows.

Aasimar
STR 18 DEX 16 CON 16 INT 16 WIS 24 CHA 22

C-Cleric 1 / Warlock 1 / C-Cleric 2 / Warlock 1 / E.D. 4 (+1 LA bought off)

Feats
1- Knowledge Devotion
3- Extend Spell
6- Persist Spell
9- DMM Persist

What build path can I follow out of Core and Complete only? What feats should I take?

DM prefers to stay to core as much as possible.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-07, 09:24 AM
If you enter ED with Warlock 2/Cleric 3 you will effectively have Warlock 12/Cleric 12 by 15th level. With 5 levels to go you can go with Warlock 12/Cleric 17th, in which case you achieve 9th level Cleric spells and your Warlock levels will give you Greater Invocations, but not Dark. Or you can go with Warlock 16/Cleric 13 and get Dark Invocations but only 7th level spells. So what you are really looking to do is improve on this as much as possible.

One thing to consider is that Clerics get 7th level spells at level 13, 8th level spells at level 15, and 9th level spells at level 17. There are PrCs that have an accelerated divine caster progression that allows them to gain 9ths much faster (Apostle of Peace, Blighter, Divine Crusader, and Ur-Priest all get 9ths by 9th), but you have to deal with their quirks.

shaikujin
2013-06-07, 10:01 AM
Divine Crusader sounds like the best bet.

See if your DM allows Sovereign Speaker to expand the Divine Crusader's domain spell list.

Bare minimum of 1 level of Divine Crusader + 8 Sovereign Speaker (or other divine progression PRC) 9 Sovereign Speaker levels will give level 9 divine spells (provided you have enough Cha to get bonus spells, otherwise you need 1 more level).

Edit: Forgot that the 1st level of Sovereign Speaker doesn't increase spellcasting levels.

Warlock 10 / Divine Crusader 1 / Sovereign Speaker 3 / ED 6 will get you 9th level Divine spells plus Dark Invocations.

Os1ris09
2013-06-08, 04:16 AM
Divine Crusader is limited to only the domain that is taken with the class. I kind of find that hardly useable since every other casting class gets more versatility with their spell slots.

Well I guess I'll talk to the DM and see what we can come up with to continue the progression of E.D. pre-epic. Thanks again playground for trying to help out.