PDA

View Full Version : Combining Magic Items with the Same Effect

PrinceOfMadness
2013-06-04, 12:01 AM
My Google-fu is weak, apparently, as I am unable to answer this (seemingly simple) question. Is it possible to combine magic items with the same effect and benefit from both? As an example, could I combine two minor rings of spell storing to gain 6 levels of stored spells?

Gut instinct tells me the same effect doesn't stack, but that I could combine a minor ring with a normal ring of spell storing just fine.

Immabozo
2013-06-04, 12:08 AM
The rings can store spells as they are supposed to, but they do not work together to allow storing higher level spells than they normally could

PrinceOfMadness
2013-06-04, 12:10 AM
Ah, I see what you mean. So if I were to combine two minor rings of spell storing, I could store up to two 3rd-level spells in the ring, but no spells of 4th level or higher?

Immabozo
2013-06-04, 01:39 AM
correct. In this specific instance, they are two magic items that function in a certain way. This is not a bonus, but a specific use. One does not preclude the other from functioning, nor do they assist each other in their function.

As far as bonuses, certain bonuses do stack, like I believe dodge bonuses to AC stack and a few others do. But if something gives an enhancement bonus, to AC, to stats, or something else, it doesn't stack with enhancement bonuses to the same thing. Same for luck, inherent, deflection, etc.

Some bonuses are untyped (like a barbarian's rage) that stack with everything.

One unique one is that many Druid Buffs, like barkskin, are enhancement bonuses to your natural armor bonus, so it is a bonus to a bonus and thus stacks with an enhancement bonus to natural armor, because it's a bonus, to that bonus.

but to take advantage of that, you will have to really search for one of the few druid AC buffs not worded that way, while any other class does not have such wording.

EDIT: luck might stack, but I dont know for certain

Curmudgeon
2013-06-04, 01:53 AM
EDIT: luck might stack, but I dont know for certain
Nope.
Luck Modifier

A luck modifier represents good (or bad) fortune. Multiple luck bonuses on the same character or object do not stack. Only the highest luck bonus applies. From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes).

Immabozo
2013-06-04, 02:05 AM
Nope. From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes).

huh, my first thought was right. Thanks.