PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with...

imaloony
2013-06-04, 12:26 AM
So, sometimes our group just comes across hilariously awesome items. Sometimes, they aren't even useful, or at least aren't anything that our group could use, but we still talk about the funny things our group could do with them.
For example, there was the time when our Evil party came across a Holy Avenger. One of the best weapons in the game in the hands of a Paladin, but just an angry hunk of steel to us, but that thing was funny.
My DM also homebrewed some of his magic items (Powerful, but balanced. The real powerful ones we never saw in the game world), and I suggested one called the Money Stream. Just a normal looking hammer, if it struck any form of currency (Gold, Platinum, Gems, Jewelry, ect) it would convert it to its equivalent value in copper. We never saw that hammer in-game, but I know he's never forgotten the idea, so I can only hope...

In particular, there was one time when our DM was reading off a list of loot we got, and one of the items caught a few of our eyes: A +3 Weightless Tower Shield.
None of us actually used a Tower Shield, so it never got put into practical use, but we had some funny ideas of how to use it. An emergency boat, improvised door, or, our best idea, have a thief set it up in an empty field and hide behind it. Proceed to murder anyone who walks by it and nick all their stuff. Retrieve shield, reset elsewhere, repeat.

So what funny uses for oddball magic items have you thought up, whether you put them into practice or not?

DigoDragon
2013-06-04, 06:55 AM
One amusing magic item given in an old campaign years back was a "+4 Glueon Sword". The joke was that the sword was perminately glued to the scabbard it came in so you could never draw it, But weilding it 'as is' made for a great bludgeoning weapon.

Later on, the wizard accidently broke it when he wished for the sword to be freed of the scabbard. Apparently separating the two killed the magical "bond" the weapon had with its scabbard. Oops. :smallsmile:

Jay R
2013-06-04, 08:29 AM
A party of adventurers had many items, including a useless Bag of Duplication. If you put something in the bag, you would get a useless duplicate: swords that didn't hold an edge, magic items that looked identical but weren't magic, food that tasted bad and didn't satisfy, etc.

This party was turned to stone by a bunch of cockatrices. My "paladin" heard about them, and went out to rescue them. (My character at the time was an ex-Paladin who was turned Evil, but no other players knew it yet.)

Some time later, they woke up back in town, having been rescued by a paladin, who (of course) refused any kind of reward. But for some reason, none of their magic items worked. I understand they spent a fair amount of time trying to find out how being turned to stone would neutralize their magic items, and looking for a way to reverse the result.

Meanwhile, my ex-paladin had several new magic items. They never came looking for him, because they never realized that their real magic items had been stolen.

Angel Bob
2013-06-04, 08:31 AM
My players have convinced me to homebrew two magic items for them: a teapot that can constantly produce tea leaves (but not water or fire), and an "arsenal sheathe" that can hold dozens of weapons at once.

I dread the day they find a creative way to use those...

Slipperychicken
2013-06-04, 01:34 PM
This party was turned to stone by a bunch of cockatrices. My "paladin" heard about them, and went out to rescue them. (My character at the time was an ex-Paladin who was turned Evil, but no other players knew it yet.)

Should have put the party members in the bag, just to see what would happen.

Hyena
2013-06-04, 02:09 PM
Nothing. Adventurers are useless, mundane, dumb, unsatisfying and leave bad taste in the mouth by their definition.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-04, 02:20 PM
Nothing. Adventurers are useless, mundane, dumb, unsatisfying and leave bad taste in the mouth by their definition.

So it would just clone them?

Jay R
2013-06-04, 04:58 PM
Should have put the party members in the bag, just to see what would happen.

The only actual effect this might have had would be to provide them with evidence that I was using the duplication bag on them, thus revealing that I had the real magic items.

LokiRagnarok
2013-06-04, 05:14 PM
Money Stream. Just a normal looking hammer, if it struck any form of currency (Gold, Platinum, Gems, Jewelry, ect) it would convert it to its equivalent value in copper. We never saw that hammer in-game, but I know he's never forgotten the idea, so I can only hope...

That sounds pretty broken. Seriously.
Let's say you use it on a gem worth 1000gp = 10,000sp = 100,000cp.

Depending on which sources you look into, 1 cp weighs roughly 10 gram. 100cp weigh 1 kilogramm. Congratulations, you now have one ton of copper.

And don't even get me started on what would happen if you strike a gold vein with it :smallbiggrin:

imaloony
2013-06-04, 05:32 PM

Depending on which sources you look into, 1 cp weighs roughly 10 gram. 100cp weigh 1 kilogramm. Congratulations, you now have one ton of copper.

And don't even get me started on what would happen if you strike a gold vein with it :smallbiggrin:

I believe the DMs reaction when I told him was "Oh dear lord there is a tower made entirely out of Platinum in my world."

Omegonthesane
2013-06-05, 10:07 AM
I believe the DMs reaction when I told him was "Oh dear lord there is a tower made entirely out of Platinum in my world."

Just be glad it doesn't adjust for the reduced value of copper relative to other metals caused by its use...

Lord Torath
2013-06-05, 02:05 PM

Well, if you take into account that it only affects currency, it's not too horrible. Your Platinum Tower is safe (unless Platinum Towers are a standard unit of trade in your world). So would the gold vein, because gold bullion isn't currency until it's been minted. Or shaped into bars. And jewelry is generally not considered currency, although I suppose it's possible that gems are. But I would tend to doubt it.

Madfellow
2013-06-05, 05:32 PM
My personal favorite is the Bag of So Forth. I wasn't part of this game myself, but I heard about it after the fact. One of the characters had written on his character sheet in the inventory section all of the stuff his character carried around with him (as any player would), and at the bottom of that list he wrote "And so forth," implying that he had more stuff but was too lazy to write it all down. The DM looked at the sheet and approved it.

Later in the game, he was on top of a building and needed to get down to the street in a hurry. So he reached into his bag and pulled out... A PARACHUTE! The DM said, "Hey, I don't remember seeing a parachute in your inventory list." The player pointed to the list where it said, "And so forth."

The DM facepalmed.

The game continued like that for a while. If the player ever needed anything he'd just reach into his Bag of So Forth. :smallbiggrin:

Selein
2013-06-10, 01:18 AM
One I'm excited for my player's to find out about is a voodoo doll. Odd things have been happening to and around a member of the party. The result of a one of them being the subject of a voodoo doll which allows the possessor to target the subject of the doll with spells at any range on the same plane.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-10, 01:52 AM
One I'm excited for my player's to find out about is a voodoo doll. Odd things have been happening to and around a member of the party. The result of a one of them being the subject of a voodoo doll which allows the possessor to target the subject of the doll with spells at any range on the same plane.

Just hope to Pelor they don't reverse-engineer it to kill the BBEG from the comfort of their homes.

Vultawk
2013-06-10, 03:45 PM
Well, if you take into account that it only affects currency, it's not too horrible. Your Platinum Tower is safe (unless Platinum Towers are a standard unit of trade in your world). So would the gold vein, because gold bullion isn't currency until it's been minted. Or shaped into bars. And jewelry is generally not considered currency, although I suppose it's possible that gems are. But I would tend to doubt it.

But on the bright side, if you come across a bartering society you can go around smacking livestock with it. :smallbiggrin:

One homebrew item I'm going to drop for my players is a hat that allows the wearer to "handle" elementals (equating it to a druid handling an animal). I'm looking forward to how they'll use it.

DrewID
2013-06-10, 08:17 PM
I cannot help but be reminded of the Badger Launcher in Rusty and Co http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-5/ which finally gets used here http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-35/.

DrewID