PDA

View Full Version : so we have the technology to make it?

Immabozo
2013-06-04, 02:11 AM
I am imagining a Gatling gun with wands instead of barrels and the top most wand casting fireball and the bottom most wand gets recharged, spinning fast, shooting 1000 fireballs per minute, or 100 fireballs per round.

can it be done? Or even done slower?

SciChronic
2013-06-04, 02:39 AM
wands typically have command words or somatic components that must still be done to use them, so most likely not.

you could maybe do it with crossbow bolts though, if the crank also pulls back the strings, would likely require strength checks to use continuously or at all. The lower the strength check needed, the more mechanically efficient it is, but each rotation would do less, and it would likely be heavier from more parts being needed.

ArcturusV
2013-06-04, 02:48 AM
Would probably work better with something like a Necklace of Fireballs. As those are designed to detonate if the necklace breaks. So just find a way to launch it. Ammunition is destroyed on impact by the rules. So the necklace would shatter, and you'd end up with multiple fireballs going off on the target.

Downside would be that it's more expensive to pull off most likely.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-04, 02:52 AM
I am imagining a Gatling gun with wands instead of barrels and the top most wand casting fireball and the bottom most wand gets recharged, spinning fast, shooting 1000 fireballs per minute, or 100 fireballs per round.

can it be done? Or even done slower?

Step 1: Make a Colossal Metal "wand barrel".
Step 2: Cast Animate Objects on it+ Permanency.
Step 3: Use Awaken Construct on it (maximized).
Step 4: Create an Ice Assassin of it.
Step 5: Give it max UMD ranks and wand use associated feats.
Step 6: Have it use a Scroll of Shapechange to become a "wand barrel" just small enough to slide a regular wand into.
Step 7: Create an Ice Assassin of it for every barrel that you want (100 in your case).
Step 8: Mount these ice assassins in a frame with a crank.
Step 9: Create a Permanent Telepathic Bond with each Ice Assassin.
Step 10: Load each "barrel" with the wand that you desire (Fireball it appears).
Step 11: Order them to ready an action to use their wand when they are spun past a specific point on the ring/frame.
Step 12: Spin the crank.

Each one will UMD the wand it has with its ready action each round. Be warned that this is quite expensive as you will burn through wands very fast (five minutes of full firing).

---
There you go, one totally RAW legal fireball Gatling gun.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-06-04, 02:54 AM
Totally crazy suggestion and very impractical before level 30+ but here goes, what about a gatling ballista that shot staffs of power?

edit:it would be really fun with the old wands of wonder in a gatling crossbow. Imagine every shot released 50 random effects.

CRtwenty
2013-06-04, 02:57 AM
Step 6: Have it use a Scroll of Shapechange to become a "wand barrel" just small enough to slide a regular wand into.
Step 7: Create an Ice Assassin of it for every barrel that you want (100 in your case).
Step 10: Load each "barrel" with the wand that you desire (Fireball it appears).
Step 11: Order them to ready an action to use their wand when they are spun past a specific point on the ring/frame.

Each one will UMD the wand it has with its ready action each round. Be warned that this is quite expensive as you will burn through wands very fast (five minutes of full firing).

---

Ice Assasin... is there anything it CAN'T do?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-04, 02:59 AM
Ice Assasin... is there anything it CAN'T do?

No. :smallwink:

You can also do this with Simulacrum if you want to stay fully core.

CRtwenty
2013-06-04, 03:04 AM
No. :smallwink:

You can also do this with Simulacrum if you want to stay fully core.

Not even close to those two in terms of power, but "Clone" is probably my favorite spell of that type. If only because of how frequently it got tossed around in the AD&D and FR canon.

Anyway now that we've got the actual firing mechanic down. What about a way to make it mobile and target things on its own? I'm imagining flying fireball gatling drones enchanted with enough intelligence to be used militarily. See a Great Wyrm Green Dragon coming after your base? Just launch a half dozen of the buggers and watch the fireworks.

Immabozo
2013-06-04, 03:10 AM

---

Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-04, 03:31 AM
Not even close to those two in terms of power, but "Clone" is probably my favorite spell of that type. If only because of how frequently it got tossed around in the AD&D and FR canon.

Anyway now that we've got the actual firing mechanic down. What about a way to make it mobile and target things on its own? I'm imagining flying fireball gatling drones enchanted with enough intelligence to be used militarily. See a Great Wyrm Green Dragon coming after your base? Just launch a half dozen of the buggers and watch the fireworks.

Make another "frame holder" Ice Assassin/Simulacrum that has Wheels. It's 32 HD give it an IL of 16, have it take Martial Study 3 times for Shadow Hand Maneuvers (maybe the Shadow Jaunt line?) and then have it take Martial Stance for Balance on the Sky. Have it have multiple arms and a crate like area to store reloads in and have it be the thing that the "wand barrels" Telepathic Bonds are with (and have one of your own with the "frame holder".

With it's 18 Int and max skill ranks of +35 it should be more than capable of it's own strategy.

Link multiple such platforms with Telepathic Bonds to one another so that they can coordinate and work together.

You might also want to alternate energy types (use Energy Sub wands) and probably throw some metamagic onto the wands as well.

How would you like to fight a hundred "mailmen" per round? You can do that. :smalltongue:

CRtwenty
2013-06-04, 03:33 AM
Make another "frame holder" Ice Assassin/Simulacrum that has Wheels. It's 32 HD give it an IL of 16, have it take Martial Study 3 times for Shadow Hand Maneuvers (maybe the Shadow Jaunt line?) and then have it take Martial Stance for Balance on the Sky. Have it have multiple arms and a crate like area to store reloads in and have it be the thing that the "wand barrels" Telepathic Bonds are with (and have one of your own with the "frame holder".

With it's 18 Int and max skill ranks of +35 it should be more than capable of it's own strategy.

Link multiple such platforms with Telepathic Bonds to one another so that they can coordinate and work together.

You might also want to alternate energy types (use Energy Sub wands) and probably throw some metamagic onto the wands as well.

How would you like to fight a hundred "mailmen" per round? You can do that. :smalltongue:

I don't even want to know how much a hundred of those things would cost. I don't think even the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Minerals has that much gold and gems, infinite or not.

SciChronic
2013-06-04, 03:36 AM

they sound like the most amazing guards ever, until their 18 Int brings them to the conclusion that they should not serve man, but rule them with an iron (and flaming) fist.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-04, 03:37 AM
they sound like the most amazing guards ever, until their 18 Int brings them to the conclusion that they should not serve man, but rule them with an iron (and flaming) fist.

That is why you use Ice Assassin or Simulacrum and not the templates (well one of the reasons, that it's instantaneous is another), they are incapable of ever disobeying you.

CRtwenty
2013-06-04, 03:37 AM

Or make something even stronger to beat them.
Best.Arms.Race.Ever.

Arcanist
2013-06-04, 03:38 AM

When Tippy optimizes, DMs all across our crystal sphere cry...

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-04, 03:41 AM
I don't even want to know how much a hundred of those things would cost. I don't think even the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Minerals has that much gold and gems, infinite or not.

One 9th level spell slot or 3,825 GP for a Scroll of Shapechange, and you can produce 14,400 per day from the factory in your portable hole.

Doable on an ECL 8 character (without need for the scroll).

LordChaos13
2013-06-04, 03:44 AM

That's why you use Ice Assassin, they are completely and totally loyal to you
Alternatively, Diplomancy up to Fanatic

mabriss lethe
2013-06-04, 08:04 AM
While not as entertaining and over the top as Tippy's suggestion... Why not use the mechanical trap rules? This sounds almost exactly like the sort of thing it was meant to create. I'm at work, so I can't break it down like I'd want. If anyone wants to see if its feasible, be my guest.

Immabozo
2013-06-04, 12:21 PM
While not as entertaining and over the top as Tippy's suggestion... Why not use the mechanical trap rules? This sounds almost exactly like the sort of thing it was meant to create. I'm at work, so I can't break it down like I'd want. If anyone wants to see if its feasible, be my guest.

what book is that in?

Flickerdart
2013-06-04, 12:44 PM
A Gatling gun that doesn't need to spin is not a Gatling gun, it's an Organ gun. To make it spin, you'll want your barrels to have an attack with a cooldown or refresh (like a dragon's breath weapon, swordsage's Desert Wind maneuvers, auto-recharge traps, or binder stuff) and then switch our recharging ones for ready ones.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-04, 01:03 PM
A Gatling gun that doesn't need to spin is not a Gatling gun, it's an Organ gun. To make it spin, you'll want your barrels to have an attack with a cooldown or refresh (like a dragon's breath weapon, swordsage's Desert Wind maneuvers, auto-recharge traps, or binder stuff) and then switch our recharging ones for ready ones.

Hmm, I need to replace the wands of fireball with miniature dragons.

Let's see, Great Wyrm Red is Colossal. Dungeonbred template to make it Gargantuan. Ring of Shrinking for Huge. Augmented Compression to reach medium. Ring of Reduction to get it to small.

Now make an Ice Assassin of that small Great Wyrm Red.

Use an Augmented Compression to drop two more categories down to Fine and make an Ice Assassin of that.

Now you have your template, copy that Fine Great Wyrm Red a hundred or so times (chaos shuffle for optimum breath weapon maximization). Load them into the barrels instead of the wands (and these barrels don't have to be Ice Assassin Animated Objects).

There you go, a dragon ammo Gatling gun. All RAW legal as well. ;)

mabriss lethe
2013-06-04, 02:21 PM
what book is that in?

available as part of the rules in the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/traps.htm)

Immabozo
2013-06-04, 02:45 PM
Hmm, I need to replace the wands of fireball with miniature dragons.

Let's see, Great Wyrm Red is Colossal. Dungeonbred template to make it Gargantuan. Ring of Shrinking for Huge. Augmented Compression to reach medium. Ring of Reduction to get it to small.

Now make an Ice Assassin of that small Great Wyrm Red.

Use an Augmented Compression to drop two more categories down to Fine and make an Ice Assassin of that.

Now you have your template, copy that Fine Great Wyrm Red a hundred or so times (chaos shuffle for optimum breath weapon maximization). Load them into the barrels instead of the wands (and these barrels don't have to be Ice Assassin Animated Objects).

There you go, a dragon ammo Gatling gun. All RAW legal as well. ;)

That one is great too! haha.

available as part of the rules in the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/traps.htm)

thank you

maxriderules
2013-06-04, 02:45 PM
So once you've got your intelligent flying fireball Gatling gun, there is one last question; how do you avoid them combusting? Because if a wand breaking means it releases all of it's charges, it could lead to a chain reaction with one stray fireball destroying a drone. Unless I've missed something important.

Immabozo
2013-06-04, 02:46 PM
So once you've got your intelligent flying fireball Gatling gun, there is one last question; how do you avoid them combusting? Because if a wand breaking means it releases all of it's charges, it could lead to a chain reaction with one stray fireball destroying a drone. Unless I've missed something important.

How would the wands break?

RFLS
2013-06-04, 02:53 PM
-snip-

It's not Tippy unless it involves Ice Assassin and/or Shapechange.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-06-04, 02:55 PM

I don't think wands release all their charges in 3rd edition. I believe that was only in older editions.

Immabozo
2013-06-04, 03:14 PM
It's not Tippy unless it involves Ice Assassin and/or Shapechange.

I think that is cause those two spell's insane versatility

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-06-04, 05:55 PM
Huh... I think mounting multiple spell turrets onto a single platform does this well without ice assassin cheese (although Tippy's method is so much more awesome).

Spell Turrets hold spells and fire them per round, DMG2. Dungeonscape also has complex trap rules.

Venusaur
2013-06-04, 06:14 PM
I feel like a spellclock or a bunch of spellclocks could do this, without ever running out of ammo.

Immabozo
2013-06-05, 10:15 PM
Where can I find spell clocks and spell turrets?

LordChaos13
2013-06-05, 10:24 PM
Spell clocks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a)

I think Spell Turrets are in DMG2 but Im not sure

killem2
2013-06-06, 07:37 AM
Hey tippy, I showed your gatling gun to my DM in good spirits because I found it hilarious and he said:

I am not sure on the fire rate – activate a wand is a standard action, I would also say that it would have to be an area effect wand. Gatling gun is not designed for targeting, more of an area sweep.

What would you respond to this? :smallconfused:

LordChaos13
2013-06-06, 07:51 AM
Thats why you Awaken them as Constructs.
They can take their own actions. Which they do, Readying an action to UMD the wand.

All your doing is spinning a crank 360 degrees. Each time a wand is lined with the hole the Ready goes off and fires the wand.

Granted an AoE spell would be better but remember each Construct can target on it's own and its a Free Action to talk to them, identifying hostiles and friendlies

shaikujin
2013-06-06, 08:09 AM
Deathwand Crossbow in AE&G allows you to hold 2 wands in it.

Add a wand chamber.

You now have a crossbow with 3 wands.

Instead of a normal x-bow, make it into a double x-bow : http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a

Have the 2nd x-bow be enchanted as a Deathwand x-bow with a wand chamber as well.

You now have a single weapon that's comprised of 2 x-bow, holding a total of 6 wands.

Or make it into a double hand x-bow so that you can dual wield them for 6 wands on each hand, for a total or 12.

Activating them will be a problem though, it's normally a standard action to activate a wand. 1 of the Eberron feats changes this to a swift.

But to activate them, you need to be a Ruby Knight Vindicator (get lots of turn undead sources), or Factotum (with a lot of Font of Inspiration feats).

Alternatively, there's a world record build somewhere for the most number of arrows fired in a round. Using Splitting enchantment plus spells and other synergies.

I can't seem to find it at the moment though.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-06-06, 08:56 AM
A simpler solution would be spell traps with a triggering condition of "turned X side up". The trigger would need to be "turned" rather than "is" so they could be on standby without continuously firing.

Without an intelligent "barrel creature" the spell would need to be something that targeted a line rather than spot like fireball does.

Not as cool as Tippy's solution, but it doesn't invoke spells that can do anything just to make a cool gun.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-06, 07:24 PM
Hey tippy, I showed your gatling gun to my DM in good spirits because I found it hilarious and he said:

I am not sure on the fire rate – activate a wand is a standard action, I would also say that it would have to be an area effect wand. Gatling gun is not designed for targeting, more of an area sweep.

What would you respond to this? :smallconfused:

What LordChaos13 said, each barrel is its own creature with its own set of actions and its own ability to activate the wand. Each of those creatures readies an action that goes off when you spin the crank.

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-06-06, 07:26 PM
Or, you know, we could combine all these methods to create an ungodly, hazardous machine of mass/mini/middle/ranged/close/explosive/cheesy destruction.

Immabozo
2013-06-07, 07:12 AM
Or, you know, we could combine all these methods to create an ungodly, hazardous machine of mass/mini/middle/ranged/close/explosive/cheesy destruction.

just think of how great the nachos will be!