PDA

View Full Version : Nnja'd!

Hogwarts9876
2013-06-04, 06:50 AM
(This may not be the right place for this, but I couldn't think of anywhere else for it.)
Is the term ninja'd a GitP forum term? Or is it used on other forums? This is the only one I frequent, which is why I don't know.

SiuiS
2013-06-04, 06:52 AM
It finds use elsewhere.

GitP uses Swordsage'd occasionally, because swordsages are better ninjas, but that's pretty niche.

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-04, 07:42 AM
Exalted players sometimes use "Sidereal'd" or "Night Caste'd", depending on context, but that's just Exalted players being silly.

I personally prefer "shinobi'd" for no particular reason.

Eldan
2013-06-04, 07:54 AM
There's variants. I've seen warhammer 40k Players use "Creeeed!" and "Scout move'd!".

Traab
2013-06-04, 08:16 AM
Its a term thats been used since back in the heyday of everquest at least. In WoW it was used to refer to players in a dungeon group rolling need on items they either dont need, or cant even use. So say some awesome, highly valuable, random item drops off a monster in the dungeon. Yeah its worth a lot of money, but one of the group members will be equipping it right then and there as it is a huge upgrade for them. Everyone else agrees to pass on it then at the last second someone else rolls need and gets a higher number, looting the item for himself. Thats ninja looting.

Emmerask
2013-06-04, 09:22 AM
in older mmos (older then wow ^^) loot dropped to the ground and everyone could pick it up. Also there was no simple keyboard key to loot, you had to click the bag with your mouse which meant it was generally done after combat... (oh and the dungeons where not instanced^^)

Some sneaky guy could come by and just loot the stuff while the group/player was still in combat, so it was coined ninja (because sneaky) looter.

The term was then transfered to forums in various variations but has lost its negative aspect, you practically say I just wanted to say what he/she already said.
Overall its mostly used in gamer affine forums be it computer or tabletop ^^

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2013-06-04, 10:43 AM
In another forum I frequent, it's called being emu'd, after a poster Blue Emu who became famous for doing it.

messy1349
2013-06-04, 10:49 AM
how about "kunoichi'd" when ninja'd by a woman? :smallbiggrin:

Zorg
2013-06-04, 03:42 PM
I remember seeing similar things used on BBSes back in the late 90s, so I doubt it's very new. I mainly see it here though, but probably because this is the "fastest" forum I frequent.

Lauren
2013-06-05, 07:52 AM
I see it a lot on RPG.net.