PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Help - Stats Quandry & Kelpie Question

vivace
2013-06-04, 06:55 AM
I've never played a Gestalt campaign before, and need some help.

I'm looking to create a Selkie (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Selkies_(3.5e_Race)). It makes the most sense to me that she would be a sorcerer, but here's the question:

- I think playing a bard would be REALLY fun (never tried it before)

but

- the DM suggested since I'm interested in having a Kelpie as a companion/familiar/mount that I level it up instead as part of the Gestalt. Since a Kelpie is a sentient creature (int +3) it can't really be a mount, it would have to have been kidnapped or forced into servitude or maybe my character could save it's life and it could feel obligated? Have to figure that part out. PROBLEM with having a Kelpie is that as a sentient creature it's always got the option as a chaotic evil to just wreak havoc - I don't want to build it up and have it take off and or seek revenge on me.

Is it okay/legit to do both bard and have a Kelpie?

If I end up keeping the sorcerer/bard combo - what would the best distribution of these rolls be?

Crake
2013-06-04, 07:25 AM
Just gonna let you know off the bat that the selkie race you listed is from dandwiki which is generally considered a horrible source, and in this case is no different. The selkie race listed there has many statistics wrong compared to the actual Selkie race in Fiend Folio, a 3.0 book (no official 3.5 update beyond generic 3.5 changes that may apply).

As for having a Kelpie mount (also detailed, properly, in Fiend Folio, I suggest you find yourself a digital or hard copy if you wish to use the creatures in it), it does not seem suitable as a mount or companion in any way. It doesn't match the type requirements for a familiar or an animal companion, has too high an intelligence to be trainable as a mount and lacks a level adjustment to be viable as a cohort. Not to mention depending on your starting level the kelpie may well be overwhelmingly more powerful than the rest of the party, having 10 HD/CR. Pretty much anything you and your DM do to get you a kelpie mount will be in the realm of homebrew.

As for stopping it from turning on you, generally speaking most DMs will let players roleplay their companions and familiars to prevent discontent, though ymmv i guess.

Edit: Also how'd you get 19s as part of your rolls?

vivace
2013-06-04, 07:52 AM
Crake,

Thanks for your prompt and courteous response.

Stats are me copying the wrong line from my excel file, sorry! I'd been playing around with what went where and copied the a 'trial' instead of originals. This is what I get for asking things before 8 Am. Fixing now :)

I'd be more than open toa suggestion for an alternate that would require less tweaks, i need something that can cross over between ocean and land as it's a port city based 50/50 land and water.

Crake
2013-06-04, 10:31 PM
I'd be more than open toa suggestion for an alternate that would require less tweaks, i need something that can cross over between ocean and land as it's a port city based 50/50 land and water.

Some more details would probably be helpful then, is the game starting at 1st level? If so, how much LA are you allowed at most, is LA buyoff an option? Do you only need a swim speed or do you need to be able to breathe underwater too? If you just need to be underwater for short periods of time I believe there's a cheap short term waterbreather-ish item that lasts for an hour or so (Auran Mask from complete mage, 10 minutes of water breathing)?