PDA

View Full Version : VERMIN LORD advice

leegi0n
2013-06-04, 08:55 AM
Playgrounders, I need some advice...

I have rolled up a Vermin Lord based on what seems to be sheer coolness with this class, with the hopes that I can use him as the BIG BOSS fight for a group of 5 players that are all level 13. I want to make sure that I use him to his maximum ability and that's where my dilemma comes in...

What would be a good, step by step, tactical approach for this character in a fight?

The stage is set for him as the characters are venturing deep underground. They have no prior knowledge of him.

Thank you for your help.

Zubrowka74
2013-06-04, 10:30 AM
Flavor-wise, I'd see a hit-n-run guerrilla tactic at first. Think were-rat rogue. Then, when the party is sufficiently weakened, a swarming by hordes of critters. While at this level disease might not be a concern, you could get through with poison. Or vice-versa, depending on the optimization level. Have bats hinder spellcasting.

dascarletm
2013-06-04, 10:48 AM
Well, you'll have good justification as to why bugs and stuff are attacking the players in swarms leading up to him.

Personally I'd play him with the feel of an overwhelming tide of minions.

Big boss battle:
Him + 2-3 colossal vermin (centipedes?) + 5-7 CR 6ish vermin medium to large sized + A bunch of swarms so that the players are almost always covered in bugs and such.

increase or decrease depending on how strong the party is.

I like the idea of waves of waves of bugs coming at them, and then just using him in a final confrontation.

Steward
2013-06-04, 10:52 AM
I would have him talk like he's from the 1950s, or like the Rat Pack (Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, etc.) Like once the PCs are exhausted and have depleted the bulk of their resources fighting off the waves of vermin mentioned by dascarletm, you should have him sidle up, wearing shades and a dapper suit.

"Hey, looks like you cats are looking for a little ring-a-ding-ding..."

And then he tears them to pieces.

Zombulian
2013-06-04, 11:03 AM
I would have him talk like he's from the 1950s, or like the Rat Pack (Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, etc.) Like once the PCs are exhausted and have depleted the bulk of their resources fighting off the waves of vermin mentioned by dascarletm, you should have him sidle up, wearing shades and a dapper suit.

"Hey, looks like you cats are looking for a little ring-a-ding-ding..."

And then he tears them to pieces.

This. So much.

leegi0n
2013-06-04, 11:24 AM
"Strangers in the night...." LOL!

With the various swarms, how do you treat damage for each swarm? Is it one roll to account for the entire swarm's bite/sting? i.e.: a swarm of scorpions deals 1d? + poison?

I understand the swarm distraction (locusts/bats) as it pertains to nausea. But actual DAMAGE calculation is eluding me.

Also, can someone explain hivemind to me, as it pertains to spell sharing/casting?

Thank you ~

Zombulian
2013-06-04, 11:29 AM
"Strangers in the night...." LOL!

With the various swarms, how do you treat damage for each swarm? Is it one roll to account for the entire swarm's bite/sting? i.e.: a swarm of scorpions deals 1d? + poison?

I understand the swarm distraction (locusts/bats) as it pertains to nausea. But actual DAMAGE calculation is eluding me.

Also, can someone explain hivemind to me, as it pertains to spell sharing/casting?

Thank you ~

Hivemind can get seriously borked. Let me direct you to the Jellomancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214898).

leegi0n
2013-06-04, 03:15 PM
Hivemind seems like such a pain in the @$$, such micromanagement. Yeah, no thanks. I'll pack as many bugs and such into a single cavern and let the good times roll....sans hivemind.