PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Characters

Razanir
2013-06-04, 09:49 AM
What are your favorite PCs or NPCs from campaigns you've played in or ran. Preferably characters you or the DM made yourself, not premades.

Here's a cool NPC I made for an upcoming Legend game:

He's a dwarf paladin who used to be in the army. Before he went off to fight in the war, his wife gave him an amulet (+2 Charisma). Notably, she was pregnant with their second child when he left. Well while he was away, the enemy would up attacking his hometown. He rushed back, but it was too late. His wife was already dead. So he retired from the army, took his two kids, and moved onto a farm. Now he lives a simple life as a farmer, willing to help anyone travelling by.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-04, 04:09 PM
An NPC from a campaign setting I'm working on: Gulo is a Solamith demon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20070705b&page=2), basically an incarnation of gluttony forged from raw chaos and evil. He's considerably smarter (Intelligence 7 rather than 4) and more charismatic (Charisma 26 rather than 8) than normal Solamiths, and works with a CN church of magic, knowledge, and feasts. He has max ranks in Profession (chef) and a few magic items to boost his abilities there, and possesses an artifact that lets him produce prodigious amounts of good-tasting food, use hero's feast once a day, and once a week resurrect someone. He uses this to run a soup kitchen where he laces the food with a highly addictive drug to force people to indulge in his favorite sin.

RossN
2013-06-06, 08:23 AM
I'm playing an Andorian cadet in a Microlite Star Trek game over on RPOL who is both the dumb muscle and the brainless beauty of the group because I made her Security orientated Red Shirt and gave her the Long Legs, Short Skirt feat (the female counterpart to the Kirk style Manly Chest feat.)

She's a lot of fun to play but sadly the game seems to have run out of steam recently. :smallfrown:

SethoMarkus
2013-06-06, 10:04 AM
Wizban, the eccentric quasi-deus-ex-machina character of the first campaign world I played in.

An incredibly powerful "wizard" of unspecified age (very, very old) who wandered the world trying to help where he could. He was sort of a Tom Bombadil like character, in that he never interacted with the main plot directly, but there was the sense that he was a lot more powerful than he let on. I say "wizard" because he would often hold his spellbook noticeably upside down, and I have a good suspicion that it was simply a fancy picture book in any case... I consider him "quasi" deus-ex because the DM played him by rolling d100 and consulting a chart; all results of doubles were Fireball, and a result 99 was Meteor Swarm. He never told us what a result of 100 was... He'd attack the party's enemies, but the exact spell and it's use were completely random... Such as the time he teleported from the surface to underground, crumbled a tower we were supposed to investigate with Earthquake, or the time, in the middle of combat, he summoned a phantasmal steed and rode off into the sunset. So although he would show up when we were in danger or lost in the plot, he didn't exactly do all the work for us either.

By far Wizban was the most memorable NPC I have come across to date.

Talya
2013-06-06, 10:32 AM
For about five years I was a player in a live (non-pbp) D&D 3.5 game. We started at level 4, and got to level 18. While I've made a lot of other characters, none have felt so real to me. (She's still my avatar here.) She had more personality and growth potential from a fluff standpoint than anything else I've ever tried.

Forgotten Realms setting
Nara Aesera Nahid (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=1001)
Nara was a harem girl in a Pasha's palace outside the bustling metropolis of Calimport. Her striking, fiery red hair was almost unheard of among those of Calishiite ancestry, but it was correctly surmised that the girl likely had Efreeti or Genaasi blood in her lineage. When Pasha Jhozim el Fadeel saw the young child with the fiery hair, he knew he had to have her for his own harem, and so the purchase was made.

Growing up in a harem provided Nara with ample opportunities to enhance her social skills and performing arts, as well as religious traning from the Sunite Headmistress Cassindra, but what surprised nobody was how magic came to her so naturally. Nobody understood to what extent, though, until the bugbear raiding party fought its way into the harem looking for the Pasha's blood. They received a warm welcome...warmer than they expected by far when flames burst from 17 year old Nara's hands, incinerating the lot of them. Nara received her freedom from the grateful Pasha in exchange for her act.

House rules in creation: DM granted spontaneous casters +1 spell per spell level, with the caveat that the extra spell HAD to come from a forgotten realms based source.

Mobility requirement for PRC was substituted for "Harem Trained" regional feat.

Bardic Weapon Proficiency: Longsword was substituted for Weapon Proficiency: Scimitar due to her Calishiite (Arabic) heritage.

The non-optimal bard multiclass allowed getting into the PrC early (skills and whip proficiency), as well as giving her some divine-like healing ability. The class has a very divine flavor for a sorceror.

Complete Champion and PHBII were not available when we started and the DM hasn't allowed them yet, so some other flavorful additions might have been useful that she doesn't have.

Her cohort was here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78574

When the campaign ended, she had built a gargantuan, "Wonder of the World" temple to Sune in Calimport, known as "The Basilica of Burning Passions" that resembled, somewhat, the hanging gardens of babylon. (My pseudo-ziggurat style towering basilica in the middle of a desert city also had waterfalls going down its sides and massive fountains powered by magical decanters of endless water.) Our players have continued to play campaigns in the same setting (we like the continuity), with various DMs, and Nara is an occasional quest giver, and the Basilica is a permanent fixture in Calimport for our campaigns now.

Footnote: For a character loosely based on some Arabian Nights stories, getting the Character Sheet ID 1001 on The Tangled Web has always been a point of pride for me. This character was meant to be awesome.

Demidos
2013-06-06, 01:46 PM
A certain rogue-golem, named Shard. Actually using the Nerra monster class on these boards, with half celestial and half fiend tacked on. He would fight invisibly and Sneak attack for massive damage, as well as had massive SR (~28 at 8th level). His deepest wish was to be able to fly higher than any before him. He died (after accidentally killing half the party by summoning a demon) after fleeing into the world of Mirrors and being killed by his doppelganger.

Arcane_Snowman
2013-06-06, 02:26 PM
I think my favorite character has got to be a short-lived Ars Magica character turned NPC of mine called Anicetus of Mecere:

I introduced Anicetus because the group I was DMing split up, and the workload had me needing a bit of a break, so the smallest of the groups got converted into a rotating DM game. He was born with a unique view of magic, and I played him with a heavy dose of Hollywood Insanity and some fourth wall breaking abilities. He specialized in changing things into lava. When the groups reunited, Anicetus stayed for a little while, wrecking the kind of havoc only he could (he was teaching one of the character's children how to make "lava lamps"). It all ended after a particularly nasty adventure, having decided he didn't want to stay anymore, he turned to the party and said "you know what, I think I'll go punch Seth in the teeth, see ya!".

He has yet to be heard from again, but time will tell. :smallbiggrin: