PDA

View Full Version : Epic Psionic Enemies

intothenight
2013-06-04, 11:33 AM
I'm working on introducing psionics into an epic campaign. I've made a few decent psionic NPCs to challenge the party, but I haven't had much luck finding interesting psionic monsters to add some variety. Any suggestions for good psionic monsters that can become epic encounters or monsters that can be turned psionic without too much trouble? Aside from the Elder Brain, that is. No way am I passing up a fight like that.

Homebrew monsters are fine, but the party's not quite ready to fight Cthulhu Mythos enemies just yet.

Demonic_Spoon
2013-06-04, 11:54 AM
I'm working on introducing psionics into an epic campaign. I've made a few decent psionic NPCs to challenge the party, but I haven't had much luck finding interesting psionic monsters to add some variety. Any suggestions for good psionic monsters that can become epic encounters or monsters that can be turned psionic without too much trouble? Aside from the Elder Brain, that is. No way am I passing up a fight like that.

Homebrew monsters are fine, but the party's not quite ready to fight Cthulhu Mythos enemies just yet.

Pandorym mind shard?

MrNobody
2013-06-04, 12:18 PM
If you are ok with monsters form Dragon magazine I can suggest the Brainstealer Dragon (#337). Its description says it comes form illithid's breeding experiment but i prefer see them as the true progenitors of mindflyers.

intothenight
2013-06-05, 10:26 AM
Pandorym mind shard?

Now that's a campaign all to itself. Maybe I'll come up with something to hint at its existence.

If you are ok with monsters form Dragon magazine I can suggest the Brainstealer Dragon (#337). Its description says it comes form illithid's breeding experiment but i prefer see them as the true progenitors of mindflyers.

Hmm... interesting. They'll never see that coming. Heh heh heh...

Urpriest
2013-06-05, 10:28 AM
Anything with relatively high HD with the Phrenic template could prove interesting. Mind Flayers and Ulthalids with lots of Psion levels could similarly prove fun.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-05, 10:41 AM
Take a Shadesteel Golem and tack on 19 levels of Psion and one of Mindbender. Give it Permanent Emanation: Selective Antimagic Field (Selected its self), Mindsight, a couple iterations of Improved Metapsionics, and a couple iterations of Improved Manifestation and Epic Psionic Focus.

Fluff it as a Psion Telepath that True Mind Switched himself with the golem so that he could live forever (Give the Golem Rudimentary Intelligence and then have it either lower its immunity, iffy, or Skin of the Proteus its self (clear cut legal) into a human before you TMS with it).

Your players might really hate you though, being able to cast (and benefit from magic items) inside an AMF that is always up tends to make people whine.

Demonic_Spoon
2013-06-05, 12:16 PM
Take a Shadesteel Golem and tack on 19 levels of Psion and one of Mindbender. Give it Permanent Emanation: Selective Antimagic Field (Selected its self), Mindsight, a couple iterations of Improved Metapsionics, and a couple iterations of Improved Manifestation and Epic Psionic Focus.

Fluff it as a Psion Telepath that True Mind Switched himself with the golem so that he could live forever (Give the Golem Rudimentary Intelligence and then have it either lower its immunity, iffy, or Skin of the Proteus its self (clear cut legal) into a human before you TMS with it).

Your players might really hate you though, being able to cast (and benefit from magic items) inside an AMF that is always up tends to make people whine.

How do you mind switch with something that's immune to mind-affecting? Did you ability rip it out?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-05, 12:21 PM
How do you mind switch with something that's immune to mind-affecting? Did you ability rip it out?

Skin of the Proteus used by the Golem to change its type to, say, human. The immune to mind-affecting comes from its type which is changed by the shape-changing effect and thus doesn't apply.

Demonic_Spoon
2013-06-05, 12:57 PM
Skin of the Proteus used by the Golem to change its type to, say, human. The immune to mind-affecting comes from its type which is changed by the shape-changing effect and thus doesn't apply.

I somehow missed that particular part of the procedure. Thanks.

intothenight
2013-06-07, 07:40 PM

They'll hate me until it's dead. Then come bragging rights galore. This should be the perfect addition to my campaign! You have my thanks.

Psyren
2013-06-07, 08:28 PM

There's more horrors in the Flayer Sovereignty than just Elder Brains. An Ultiharid/Alhoon with class levels, or an Illithid Savant, could be deadly foes as well.

Ancient+ Gem Dragons are a good staple.

An Unbodied Thrallherd could be a real nightmare to take down, with an entire army of pawns at its disposal.

You can also take any regular epic threat and slap Phrenic on it. Phrenic Living Spells could be interesting!

TuggyNE
2013-06-07, 08:38 PM
They'll hate me until it's dead. Then come bragging rights galore. This should be the perfect addition to my campaign! You have my thanks.

Assuming, of course, that it ever dies. This is not guaranteed, especially given the general power level of Tippy's creations.

SamBurke
2013-06-07, 08:42 PM
I somehow missed that particular part of the procedure. Thanks.

Tippy has said it, therefore it is correct by RAW. ALWAYS. :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-07, 10:16 PM
1. Psicrystal Affinity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psicrystalAffinity) feat.
2. Keep it in a compartment on your person so opponents never have line of sight/effect to it, they cannot target it or hit it with area effects.
3. Share Pain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePain.htm) on it. Remember the psicrystal has Hardness 8, which reduces every instance of damage it takes from Share Pain regardless of the damage type of the original attack.
4. Vigor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vigor.htm) and share it just like any other buff.

You now have an opponent who takes half damage from all sources, and they'll have to deal ten times his manifester level in damage before they even get through his temporary hit points. If using Schism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/schism.htm) and/or Linked Power (CP) he can refresh Vigor every round until he runs out of powerpoints.

Zomg Zombies
2013-10-03, 10:30 PM
Yikes, and I thought I'd be going overboard by flipping the world upside down on them with a Mechinoid attack....

Rubik
2013-10-03, 10:53 PM
If a manifester has three levels of illithid savant, it can add the metamind's capstone ability for infinite power points for 1 min/day. If that manifester uses the Temporal Reiteration power (from CPsi), it can gain infinite power points all day long until it's dispelled. If it nabs access to the ardent's Magic Mantle and takes the Supernatural Transformation feat for (Psionics) and (Font of Power) from Savage Species, those become undispellable, and its ML becomes its HD, so no more than 20 levels of its manifesting class are necessary. If it takes a few more levels in illithid savant, it can grab the spell-to-power erudite's learning mechanic, and can therefore get access to every spell and power in the game if one looks hard enough.

For more info: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16123163#post16123163

Note that gestalt isn't required for this, but it does help you get more illithid savant levels.