PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) (Spell) Shell Game Cheating (PEACH)

DracoDei
2013-06-04, 01:43 PM
Was inspired by a PbP game I am in to think this one up. Not sure on the spell level or if I could have worded it better. Help on both those things especially appreciated.

Shadow Mirror
Illusion (Shadow) [Teleportation]
Level: Brd 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal; see text
Target: You
Duration: 5 rounds/level
This spell functions as per Mirror Image except as above and as follows: the number of "images" is capped at 10, not 8, and you have no true position until and unless you choose to, your "original self" is just another duplicate. If it ever matters which of the images is real(regardless of if this is due to your own actions or the actions of another), pick the option that is most beneficial to you. You may pick more than one location to be real at that instant, in order to keep your options open for the future.

If the number of "images" is ever reduced to one, then the spell ends immediately.

As a swift standard action you may equalize your reality between all the images, giving you the option of "really" being at the location of any image again. A "real" image moving through a "not real" image also renders both images "real".

For the duration of this spell you may take a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity to have a single additional "image" fission off an existing duplicate (neither need be or not be "the real you"). The new "image" is adjacent to the duplicate it fissioned off of. This may not increase the total number of you to more than 8.

Alternate/Older version of text:

Version 2:
You split into several quasi-real duplicates, making it impossible for enemies to know which target to attack. The figments stay near you and disappear when struck.

Shadow Mirror splits you into 1d4+1 duplicates plus one duplicates per three caster levels (maximum ten total). These duplicates split off from eachother and remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of at least one duplicate. They can move into and through eachother. Two or more duplicates separate, observers can’t use vision or hearing to tell which one(s) could possibly be the real one((is this necessary, or should it be covered by a teleportation mechanic?)). The figments mimic eachothers actions, pretending to cast spells when you cast a spell, drink potions when you drink a potion, levitate when you levitate, and so on.

Enemies attempting to attack you or cast spells at you must select from among indistinguishable targets. Generally, roll randomly to see whether the selected target is real or a figment. Any successful attack against an image destroys it. An image’s AC is 10 + your size modifier + your Dex modifier. Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball).

While moving, you can merge with and split off from figments so that enemies who have learned which image is real are again confounded.

An attacker must be able to see the images to be fooled. If you are invisible or an attacker shuts his or her eyes, the spell has no effect. (Being unable to see carries the same penalties as being blinded.)

for the duration of this spell you may take a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity to have a single additional duplicate fission off an existing duplicate (neither need be or not be "the real you"). The new duplicate is adjacent to the duplicate it fissioned off of. This may not increase the total number of you to more than 8.

TuggyNE
2013-06-04, 07:12 PM
Seems like it should be a little easier to get more images, especially with the AoO thing. Maybe just make it a swift action to fission an image? It's really not overpowered.

Fizban
2013-06-05, 12:07 AM
My gut reaction is it's way too powerful, like boss quality 8th level spell powerful. My more measured reaction is that with no chance of hitting the real target and mirror image being unaffected by area effects, this at minimum wholly negates a number of attacks like I hear oldschool stoneskin used to do. You can also hide an "image" around the corner to make yourself immune to bursts, or scout around corners without any risk, and make a mockery of any spell that's normally balanced with a 10' or 15' range limit. Being in multiple places at once is a crazy thing (even dealing with medium creatures on large mounts started driving me nuts), and standard Project Image doesn't come up till bard 6/sor7. Even without the free images and reduced duration this is just straight up way better than Greater Mirror Image. I'd make it at least 5th level with Greater Blink (which I think is hideously overpowered anyway).

About the overlapping images being "real," I assume this is so that you can ready an action to strike when they're overlapped an vulnerable, which is a cool idea. Also like any spell that uses a teleport descriptor without just being point A to B. And a question I don't think even normal mirror image addresses: what happens if you break a link in the image chain? All images must be adjacent to another image, so if they're spread out in a line you should be able to take out half by hitting one in the middle.

DracoDei
2013-06-05, 11:33 AM
Seems like it should be a little easier to get more images, especially with the AoO thing. Maybe just make it a swift action to fission an image? It's really not overpowered.
That is more for between battles than in-battle, and Mirror Image doesn't even allow that.

My gut reaction is it's way too powerful, like boss quality 8th level spell powerful. My more measured reaction is that with no chance of hitting the real target and mirror image being unaffected by area effects, this at minimum wholly negates a number of attacks like I hear oldschool stoneskin used to do. You can also hide an "image" around the corner to make yourself immune to bursts, or scout around corners without any risk,
Ah, but if you can see what is around the corner then you must have really gone around the corner! So that doesn't work.

and make a mockery of any spell that's normally balanced with a 10' or 15' range limit.
You casting such spells? If so, then if you have any effect (IE they don't totally negate it with a save or SR) then you must have been one of the images that was within range.

Being in multiple places at once is a crazy thing (even dealing with medium creatures on large mounts started driving me nuts), and standard Project Image doesn't come up till bard 6/sor7. Even without the free images and reduced duration this is just straight up way better than Greater Mirror Image. I'd make it at least 5th level with Greater Blink (which I think is hideously overpowered anyway).
I'll change it to 5th, until and unless someone says differently.

About the overlapping images being "real," I assume this is so that you can ready an action to strike when they're overlapped an vulnerable, which is a cool idea.
Nope, that is so you can fiddle around with move actions to make a few images real again if you are using your Swift for something else.

Also like any spell that uses a teleport descriptor without just being point A to B.
Thank you.

And a question I don't think even normal mirror image addresses: what happens if you break a link in the image chain? All images must be adjacent to another image, so if they're spread out in a line you should be able to take out half by hitting one in the middle.
My GMs reading of Mirror Image is that adjacency is only for the STARTING positions, and they can spread out as much as you like after that.

TuggyNE
2013-06-05, 04:24 PM
That is more for between battles than in-battle, and Mirror Image doesn't even allow that.

No, but greater mirror image spins up new copies 1/round.

My GMs reading of Mirror Image is that adjacency is only for the STARTING positions, and they can spread out as much as you like after that.

Given that they "remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of another image or you", that doesn't seem quite right.

However, presumably if a more distant image is cut off by popping, it just hurries over to the nearest valid space.

DracoDei
2013-06-05, 04:58 PM
No, but greater mirror image spins up new copies 1/round.
Which I haven't actually read, and thus didn't know the regeneration speed, but this makes me feel that what I have is about right, since this one has some obvious other advantages. Of course, an 8th/9th level version with everything and the kitchen sink would be possible, but one thing at a time...

Given that they "remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of another image or you", that doesn't seem quite right.
Yeah, I think my GM got it wrong... or there is something more going on tactically.

However, presumably if a more distant image is cut off by popping, it just hurries over to the nearest valid space.
Sounds plausible... really should have been defined more explicitly by the spell description though.