PDA

View Full Version : Mount Suggestions

vivace
2013-06-04, 01:45 PM
I think I asked too many questions at once in my last thread, so here goes. I'm looking for newbie friendly answers.

I've played a couple of campaigns casually and am looking for suggestions for a mount (or mount equivalent) to babysit a weak and small character in the lower levels. Must be able to go in BOTH water and land as the setting is a port city with lots of water adventures.

ArcturusV
2013-06-04, 01:50 PM
Hippocampus (Odd monster, half horse, half fish) is the only one I can really think of off the top of my head that would fit your criteria without dipping into something unusual. Well, MORE unusual. Most Aquatic Mounts are Aquatic only.

I suppose you could take something like a Frog, upsize it to Medium, give it a saddle and call it good as well. Make it "War" trained so it doesn't freak out and need Ride Checks to be able to handle combat.

Warfrog. Huh. Sounds fun. But weird.

Urpriest
2013-06-04, 01:51 PM
Hippocampus (Odd monster, half horse, half fish) is the only one I can really think of off the top of my head that would fit your criteria without dipping into something unusual. Well, MORE unusual. Most Aquatic Mounts are Aquatic only.

I suppose you could take something like a Frog, upsize it to Medium, give it a saddle and call it good as well. Make it "War" trained so it doesn't freak out and need Ride Checks to be able to handle combat.

Warfrog. Huh. Sounds fun. But weird.

Dire Toad sounds like the right idea. They're in MM2.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-04, 01:52 PM
But Battletoads always come in pairs, and you have to be willing to let a mount in with power attack and improved unarmed strikes. :smalleek:

Grayson01
2013-06-04, 02:30 PM
Ride and alligator!!!! Or a hippo! Hmmm a medium Dragon with water breathing?

vivace
2013-06-04, 07:07 PM
I really like the Hippocampus or water dragon idea. Any feelings toward Kirin (sp? - I know they exist in myth. I'm sure i've seen them in D&D somewhere) or Kelpie?

ArcturusV
2013-06-04, 07:38 PM
Kirin are in Oriental Adventures. They're also not Aquatic, but Flying. They're also so insanely powerful for a "Mount" that I can't imagine most DMs would let you have one before say... level 16. At which point you can usually just Polymorph a horse into an Elder Dragon for an even more effective mount.

The Ti Mi Lung (Typhoon Dragon) might be an option if you want an Oriental flavored mount for that. Got Flight and Swimming, plus "Summon: Hurricane" as a SLA. No breath weapon, but eh.

Humble Master
2013-06-04, 07:50 PM
You might try the Seryulin from Monster Manual 3. It has 50ft move and swim plus some cool special abilities like Pain Toxic, Sticky Spray and Slick, which make the Seryulin (and you it's rider) immune to paralysis (even magical paralysis), Slow a tanglefoot bag or the Seryulin's sticky spray. With all this said Seryulin's are CR 7 so you might have to work to get one.