PDA

View Full Version : PF or 3.5: Gain a Magical Beast Companion?

Oryan77
2013-06-04, 03:00 PM
I'm trying to figure out a way to provide a CR 1 magical beast (called an Ethyk from the Planescape setting) as an animal companion.

3.5 has a feat called Exalted Companion in the Book of Exalted Deeds that provides a magical beast animal companion. I'm looking for something similar in Pathfinder.

Is there any official way in Pathfinder of getting a CR 1 magical beast as an animal companion? I assume not since I've only seen stats for base animal types as animal companions. But I'm hoping to get lucky. :smallbiggrin:

Pesimismrocks
2013-06-05, 02:23 AM
In 3.5 I know that plan escape rangers get celestial companions and that beast heart adepts are a PrC dedicated to getting Monster companions. A 1 level dip will get you 1 and the requirements aren't that difficult to get. I don't really know any ways in pathfinder though.

Coidzor
2013-06-05, 04:54 AM
Only the Sable Company Marine archetype that gives a hippogriff and the generic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/sable-company-marine)version.

And it's only for a hippogriff...

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-05, 12:57 PM
With a pair of feats from the ECS, you can get one of 10 magical beasts as your animal companion (assuming you meet the minimum AC level, which ranges from 7th (Cockatrice, Krenshar or Displacer Beast) to 16th (Gorgon or Yrthak)).

BTB
2013-06-05, 02:12 PM
Not exactly what you're looking for, but Wild Caller Summoner in Pathfinder (athough cheesy) gets an Eidolon largely flavored as a magical beast. I'm sure if you chose your evolutions wisely you could replicate any number of creatures from the bestiary.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-06-05, 04:03 PM
Can you base the feat off of this?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

I can't think of any official way to do it. Your best bet is to ask the GM about it and what an appropriate cost would be.

Coidzor
2013-06-05, 09:50 PM
Not exactly what you're looking for, but Wild Caller Summoner in Pathfinder (athough cheesy) gets an Eidolon largely flavored as a magical beast. I'm sure if you chose your evolutions wisely you could replicate any number of creatures from the bestiary.

The Eidolon basically is animal companion+++...