PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 What kind of Action would it be to change rings

Wolfswift
2013-06-04, 04:08 PM
As the topic says. Friend is making an epic campaign, I intend to have a character be super stealthy spellcasting sneak-attacker. He has a Ring of Invisibility, Gwaeron's Boots which give a constant pass without trace and make you produce no smell, and are thereby undetectable by scent, I was considering a rod of silence and using silent spell meta magic or the Ring of Silent Spells, but I encountered a problem, Ring of Invisibility won't keep him invisible indefinitely. If he attacks, invisibility turns off.

Looked around and found activating the ring to become invisible again is a standard action, which is no good... I found two options, 1. Have an intelligent Ring of Invisibility that readies it's action to activate the ring and turn invisible again as soon as the attack hits, which I don't think my DM will allow. Or 2. If I use Rings of Vanishing, which are really sweet, except limited, 2 rounds, 3 times a day. I thought maybe if I had a lot of them it'd work, but what kind of action would it be to either change rings on your hand, or if wearing all of them, re-designate which rings are active.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-04, 04:15 PM
Swapping rings, assuming you had the replacement in your hand at the time, would be two move actions: one to take it off and one to put it on.

I believe that if you're wearing more than one item in a given slot that whichever you put on last overrides the others, so if you wore ten rings, for example, you could pull one off to restore one other.

Don't forget, though, that there are other ways to detect you, including see invisibility, detect magic/arcane sight, blindsight, and mindsight.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-04, 04:16 PM
As the topic says. Friend is making an epic campaign, I intend to have a character be super stealthy spellcasting sneak-attacker. He has a Ring of Invisibility, Gwaeron's Boots which give a constant pass without trace and make you produce no smell, and are thereby undetectable by scent, I was considering a rod of silence and using silent spell meta magic or the Ring of Silent Spells, but I encountered a problem, Ring of Invisibility won't keep him invisible indefinitely. If he attacks, invisibility turns off.

Looked around and found activating the ring to become invisible again is a standard action, which is no good... I found two options, 1. Have an intelligent Ring of Invisibility that readies it's action to activate the ring and turn invisible again as soon as the attack hits, which I don't think my DM will allow. Or 2. If I use Rings of Vanishing, which are really sweet, except limited, 2 rounds, 3 times a day. I though maybe if I had a lot of them it'd work, but what kind of action would it be to either change rings on your hand, or if wearing all of them, re-designate which rings are active.

Just get a ring of spell storing and UMD a scroll of greater invisibility into it (or cast it yourself into the ring). Or just cast greater invisibility yourself. Greater invisibility doesn't go away when you attack (though the duration is inferior). Superior invisibility (8th level, Spell Compendium), is the ideal solution, and is a great spell if you can manage to UMD or cast 8th level spells.

cerin616
2013-06-04, 05:26 PM
get rid of those silly boots and instead pick up the dark stalker feat.

blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you.

So much better.

Also, there is no Raw way to gain immunity to mindsight, but DM interpretation could say that immunity to mind affecting works (such as mind blank) or AMF since it negates the telepathy.