PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Design

Razanir
2013-06-04, 05:18 PM
This is meant for Legend, but should be applicable to most d20 systems. I know the rule of thumb about 3-5 encounters at their level before needing to rest. What about lower levels? How many levels below the players to you have to go before becoming negligible for resources?

Also, is there a rate of trade? Something where I can say 1 encounter at their level is equivalent to 3 at 2 levels below. So a party at EL 3 can handle 3 at EL 1 and 2-4 at EL 3.

SamBurke
2013-06-04, 05:21 PM
From what I understand of Legend, it works similarly enough to DnD to use the same ideas.

If it's more than EL-2, it's probably negligable, and doesn't even matter. It's a speedbump, basically. So, in order to fix that, add some more enemies, or, perhaps an obstacle or terrain issue.

As to tradeoffs, it's done via the XP system, probably... though as I remember XP is much smaller per encounter in Legend.

Razanir
2013-06-04, 05:35 PM
I'm mainly wondering can I have 4-5 EL-2 encounters and 3 EL encounters and not worry about where they might need to rest. And Legend eschews XP, by the way. It offers a unit-scaled XP system, but as a variant. The main rule is hand out levels when the DM sees fit.

Razanir
2013-06-05, 01:33 PM
This has been bumped

Madcrafter
2013-06-05, 02:59 PM
IIRC doesn't Legend involve less consumable resources? I thought it was designed so that PCs would usually enter combat at full capabilities, and therefore resting in between was mostly a formality. Maybe I need to go read the pdf again.

As for in general, I would also say it depends on the power/optimization level the game is being played at. Some parties are better suited to handle certain challenges, others are better suited to handle all challenges. At the table I play at, almost every fight is at least EL+4, but that is not the case everywhere.

Legend (IIRC again) also has the low level mooks be slightly more dangerous to higher level PCs than D&D does. Nonetheless, I think that'd you'd be ok running some EL-2s without much impact on the EL encounters. Unless of course you mix things up with terrain and the like, or use very intelligent tactics, or any of the other things that can drastically alter the difficulty of an encounter.

Razanir
2013-06-05, 05:57 PM
Legend (IIRC again) also has the low level mooks be slightly more dangerous to higher level PCs than D&D does. Nonetheless, I think that'd you'd be ok running some EL-2s without much impact on the EL encounters. Unless of course you mix things up with terrain and the like, or use very intelligent tactics, or any of the other things that can drastically alter the difficulty of an encounter.

So as long as the EL-2 enemies aren't a certain group of kobolds created by a certain man named Tucker, I should be fine.