PDA

View Full Version : Instantaneous buffs

Divide by Zero
2013-06-05, 12:53 AM
Basically, I'm looking for spells like mantle of the fiery spirit (Sandstorm) - spells that you cast once, then forget about them and keep the benefits forever. What else is there? My Google-fu couldn't pick up any comprehensive lists for this.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-05, 01:05 AM
Multiple castings of return to nature on a half-giant caster?

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-05, 01:47 AM
Clerics only get a few. The list is:

--Axiomatic Creature (BoED 91). Gain Smite, Telepathy, and outsider traits. 15,000 gp.
--Mantle of the Icy Soul (Fb 101): Gain cold subtype. 10,000 gp.
--Mantle of the Fiery Spirit (Ss 118): Gain fire subtype. 15,000 gp.
--Incarnate Construct (SaS 67): Construct gains the incarnate construct template (SaS 121). 25,000 gp.
--Planar Familiar (SpA Web) If any of my followers have scribe scroll and it's possible for my to use their feat to make scrolls, then I can give your familiar/animal companion/special mount one of the alignment templates and a bunch of resistances and stuff. Otherwise, I can only do it for a familiar, and it will only gain an alignment template (celestial/fiendish/axiomatic/anarchic). 2,500 gp.

(c+p from a post I made before) I think there's one more, but if it was against my alignment (LG), I didn't write it down (and it's also not on my spell list). It'll be a 9th lvl cleric spell, though, I'm sure.

Flickerdart
2013-06-05, 01:52 AM
--Mantle of the Icy Soul (Fb 101): Gain cold subtype. 10,000 gp.
As of Spell Compendium, this is no longer accurate - the spell now only works for hours per level, though there is no more XP cost.

GilesTheCleric
2013-06-05, 01:55 AM
As of Spell Compendium, this is no longer accurate - the spell now only works for hours per level, though there is no more XP cost.

What? Man, that's super weak. Well, it might be a valid target for Permanency. If not, maybe the DM will allow it.

On that note, there's probably a list of everything you can permanency somewhere. That might be useful.

Saintheart
2013-06-05, 02:28 AM
Nerveskitter maybe falls under this heading. Cast once during Initiative rolls, keep that initiative count for as long as initiative matters, i.e. until the end of combat :smalltongue:

Divide by Zero
2013-06-05, 02:35 AM
What? Man, that's super weak. Well, it might be a valid target for Permanency. If not, maybe the DM will allow it.

On that note, there's probably a list of everything you can permanency somewhere. That might be useful.
I did find such a list (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=skifnivd54dv5g3ll4j1n3rqb4&topic=4544.0), but I'm mostly looking for spells with an Instantaneous duration, since they can't be dispelled or suppressed (Permanent spells are still useful, though).

Nerveskitter maybe falls under this heading. Cast once during Initiative rolls, keep that initiative count for as long as initiative matters, i.e. until the end of combat :smalltongue:

You still have to cast it before every combat, though, so that's not really what I'm looking for so much as things you only have to cast once ever.

Saintheart
2013-06-05, 02:36 AM
Hallow or Unhallow. Lasts one year, which isn't quite permanent I suppose, but it has an Instantaneous duration and therefore can't be dispelled, thus making permanent whatever spell you feel like putting in there?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-05, 02:40 AM

I maintain that they are two different spells that just happen to have the same name and thus SC doesn't overwrite Frostburn.

Thurbane
2013-06-05, 03:04 AM
--Vile Death (SC 229). Adds the Fiendish template to an undead. 500gp.

Spuddles
2013-06-05, 03:47 AM
Psionic lion's charge technically gives you pounce forever, but is definitely not RAI and few DMs would let that fly.

Alleran
2013-06-05, 03:56 AM
--Axiomatic Creature (BoED 91). Gain Smite, Telepathy, and outsider traits. 15,000 gp.
As a note on this one, Axiomatic is Permanent, not Instantaneous, so it can be dispelled/disjoined/suppressed.

Vaern
2013-06-05, 04:12 AM
Hallow or Unhallow. Lasts one year, which isn't quite permanent I suppose, but it has an Instantaneous duration and therefore can't be dispelled, thus making permanent whatever spell you feel like putting in there?

The description states that optional spell effects that are added to the Hallow/Unhallow spell will fade after one year. There's nothing that indicates that the spells' base effects ever expire. The Magic Circle Against Evil/Good and modifiers to Turn Undead would remain permanently, even after any additional effects dissipate.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-05, 06:30 AM
Might want to count Azuth's Exalted Triad. 6th level spell in Magic of FR that is instantaneous and gives you two addition uses of a spell of third level or lower.

Nothing stops you from spending a few days to triple all of your third level and lower spell slots before an adventure.

Spuddles
2013-06-05, 07:35 AM
Might want to count Azuth's Exalted Triad. 6th level spell in Magic of FR that is instantaneous and gives you two addition uses of a spell of third level or lower.

Nothing stops you from spending a few days to triple all of your third level and lower spell slots before an adventure.

Interesting. Will have to look into that. MoF is 3.0, and a lot of it got errata'd in SpC.

Kazyan
2013-06-05, 07:52 AM

Azuth's Exalted Triad is now Triadspell as of SpC, and one level lower.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-05, 08:01 AM
Azuth's Exalted Triad is now Triadspell as of SpC, and one level lower.

All the better, and for extra fun argue that they are different spells and thus can both be used getting you six times as many 3rd and lower spell slots. :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2013-06-05, 09:05 AM
I don't think Triadspell is actually use-once-benefit-forever, though. It effects "one prepared spell", which suggests that once you no longer have that prepared spell, the effect is gone (if you then re-prepare the same spell, it's a different instance of "prepared spell", and so doesn't gain the benefits of Triadspell).

It would still be quite useful any time you had downtime before an adventure, though, since you could cast it an arbitrary amount of time in advance, so long as you didn't need to use up the spell in the meanwhile.

Urpriest
2013-06-05, 10:15 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Awaken yet, or its friends Mass Awaken, Awaken Undead, and Awaken Construct.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-05, 11:47 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Awaken yet, or its friends Mass Awaken, Awaken Undead, and Awaken Construct.

Especially Maximized, Empowered Awaken to have all mental scores above 18.