PDA

View Full Version : Jester base class (with cardmancer ACF) (3.5) (Please PEACH)

LordErebus12
2013-06-05, 06:11 AM
Gonna be updating an old homebrew ive encountered titled the Jester. Its source is here (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=28547), as well as on Dndwiki, but I intend on playing with the class a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Qjh03s8IPu8/UA6VqHCNhJI/AAAAAAAAAHg/ECoGRRz8nI0/s1600/James_root_Venetian_jester_by_Deaths_imbrace.jpg

“Despite my vanity, I fear for my sanity.”

To be a Jester is to see the joke in every tragedy. For them, life’s a party, and most poor bastards are not invited. They live hard, play hard, and laugh hard knowing that at any moment their life might be cut short by an uncaring world. Jesters may play at being buffoons, but each is a student of life and of people, and they understand not only what makes people laugh, but what makes them cry.

As adventurers, they often appreciate baubles and magical trinkets as much as anyone else, but their main goal is to have fun before the end. When fighting enemies, their sense of humor takes a macabre and dark turn, becoming cruel and vicious to better demoralize their foe.

They are generally disrespectful atheists who wander the world looking for excitement and amusement, righting wrongs or committing crimes as the mood takes them. Many are easily swayed by opportunity, jumping on the chance for their next big trick. While the chance of gold may not get them moving, the chance of rare magic or the perfect performance gets their attention nicely.

Making a Jester

Races: Jesters appear in all cultures and all races have need of buffoons.
Alignment: Any chaotic.
Starting Gold: 6d4x10 gp (150 gold).
Starting Age: As rogue.

Hit Dice: d6

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

1st
+0
+0
+2
+0
Harlequin’s Mask (Undetectable Alignment), Poison Use
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
+1
+0
+3
+0
Laugh It Off
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
+2
+1
+3
+1
Sneak Attack +1d6
-
-
-
-
-

4th
+3
+1
+4
+1
Jester’s Feint
-
-
-
-

5th
+3
+1
+4
+1
Cruel Comment
-
-
-
-

6th
+4
+2
+5
+2
Sneak Attack +2d6
-
-
-
-

7th
+5
+2
+5
+2
Sight Gag
-
-
-

8th
+6/+1
+2
+6
+2
Slapstick
-
-
-

9th
+6/+1
+3
+6
+3
Sneak Attack +3d6
-
-
-

10th
+7/+2
+3
+7
+3
King of Charades
-
-

11th
+8/+3
+3
+7
+3
Tricky Hands
-
-

12th
+9/+4
+4
+8
+4
Killer Clown, Sneak Attack +4d6
-
-

13th
+9/+4
+4
+8
+4
Harlequin’s Mask (Immune to Compulsions)
-

14th
+10/+5
+4
+9
+4
Annoy the Gods
-

15th
+11/+6/+1
+5
+9
+5
Sneak Attack +5d6
-

16th
+12/+7/+2
+5
+10
+5
Prat Fall

17th
+12/+7/+2
+5
+10
+5
Curtain Call

18th
+13/+8/+3
+6
+11
+6
Sneak Attack +6d6

19th
+14/+9/+4
+6
+11
+6
Harlequin’s Mask (Immune to Fear)

20th
+15/+10/+5
+6
+12
+6
Eternal Trickster

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the jester.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Jesters are proficient with light armor but not with shields of any kind. A jester is proficient with no weapons. However, a jester can use any improvised weapon of appropriate size without the usual -4 penalty.

Spells:
The jester is an Arcane Spellcaster with the same spells per day progression as a bard. A jester automatically knows every spell on his spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing them ahead of time, provided that spell slots of an appropriate level are still available. To cast a jester spell, he must have a Charisma at least equal to 10 + the spell level. The DC of the jester's spells is Charisma based and the bonus spells are Charisma based.

Harlequin’s Mask (Su):
As long as a Jester’s face is painted, masked, or adorned in the manner of a harlequin or other comedic figure, he functions as if under an undetectable alignment spell. At 13th level, the jester becomes immune to compulsion effects. At 19th level, the jester is also immune to fear effects.

Poison Use (Ex):
A Jester may prepare, apply, and use poison without any chance of poisoning himself.

Laugh It Off (Ex):
Fate protects fools and little children, and Jesters certainly adopt the role of fools. At 2nd level, a Jester may add his Charisma modifier as a morale bonus to his will saves.

Sneak Attack (Ex):
At 3rd level, a Jester gains the ability to make sneak attacks as a rogue would. At 3rd level, his sneak attacks inflict 1 extra d6 of damage, and this increases by 1d6 every three levels (6, 9, 12, 15, and finally 6d6 at 18).

Jester’s Feint (Ex):
At 4th level, a Jester learns to distract and unnerve his enemies by throwing unexpected objects at them. As a swift action, he may toss a brightly colored object from in hand into the square of an enemy with a Sleight of Hand Check opposed by the enemy’s Sense Motive check. If it succeeds, the enemy is denied his Dex bonus for the Jester’s next attack.

Some Jesters use objects with magical or alchemic effects that act in an enemy’s square to use with this ability, while others use colored balls, fruit, pieces of cloth or scarves, or other cast-off materials that fit the requirement of being brightly colored. Wealthy, desperate, or foolish Jesters sometime used coins or gems.

Cruel Comment (Sp):
At 5th level, the Jester has learned to say extremely funny but hurtful things about others. As a swift action, the Jester can make a Bluff check opposed by an opposed Will save. If the target fails this check, he suffers a -4 to attack rolls, saves, and all other checks. This effect lasts 1d4 rounds. This is a language-dependent compulsion ability.

Sight Gag (Ex):
At 7th level, the Jester may apply either the Silent Spell or Still Spell metamagics spontaneously to his spells, but only if he casts them as full-round actions. This ability only works with spells on the Jester list, and it does not increase the spell’s level or slot used.

Slapstick (Ex):
At 8th level, a jester has mastered the art of confusion and can strike in ways that throw opponents off their guard. Any successful sneak attack also inflict a -2 Dex penalty to an enemy for one round.

King of Charades (Ex):
At 10th level, so long as he meets the requirements of his Harlequin’s Mask ability, all creatures who the jester attempts to fool suffer a -4 penalty on sense motive checks to see through the charade.

Also, the jester receives a luck bonus equal to 1/4th his class level (maximum +5) on the following skill checks: bluff, diplomacy, disguise, perform, sleight of hand, perform and use rope. However, the jester loses these bonuses that round if ever caught flat-footed.

Tricky Hands (Ex):
At 11th level, the Jester has mastered Sleight of Hand and can use this subterfuge while applying poisons. Applying any poison to a weapon requires only a swift action. The jester can use sleight of hand check to not only draw or conceal weapons but to apply poisons. However, he suffers a culmative penatly for each size category bigger than light (-4 for one-handed, -8 for two handed).

Killer Clown (Su):
At 12th level, so long as he meets the requirements of his Harlequin’s Mask ability, the Jester can make a special Intimidate check as a move action. If successful, this check causes the enemy to suffer the panicked condition for 1d4 rounds. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Annoy the Gods (and DM) (Su):
As world-class pranksters, Jesters must learn to avoid the curses and transformations of enemies with a sense of humor. Any time a 14th level Jester has spent at least one round as the victim of an effect that could be removed by a break enchantment effect, the effect is removed.

Prat Fall (Ex):
At 16th level, any time a Jester strikes an enemy with a sneak attack, the Jester can make a free Trip attack that does not provoke an Attack of Opportunity. This ability cannot be used on any one enemy more than once a round. The Jester cannot be tripped in return if this attempt fails, and it may be used with ranged sneak attacks. The Jester may substitute his Dexterity modifier for his Strength modifier for the opposed test to trip his foe.

Curtain Call (Su):
At 17th level, the Jester can turn even his death into a joke. Any time the Jester is killed or knocked unconscious, one of his spells known is cast as if it were spell in a contingency effect. The jester can freely choose which spell is unleashed, assuming it a jester spell.

Eternal Trickster (Su):
At 20th level, the Jester becomes an enigma. While meeting the requirements of his Harlequin’s Mask ability, he does not age, knowledge checks used to identify the jester automatically fail and is under the effects of a mind blank effect.

LordErebus12
2013-06-05, 06:14 AM
0—Alarm, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Grease, Unseen Servant, Ventriloquism

1st—Fire Trap, Glitterdust, Magic Mouth, Misdirection, Pyrotechnics, Reduce Person, Sleet Storm, Hideous Laughter, Teleport Trap, Touch of Idiocy

2nd—Baleful Transposition, Explosive Runes, Glyph of Warding, Rage, Rope Trick, Secret Page, Sepia Snake Sigil, Sniper's Eye, Unluck

3rd—Feeblemind, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, Modify Memory, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Nightmare, See invisibility, Servant Horde, Shrink Item

4th—Globe of Invulnerability, Greater Glyph of Warding, Insect Plague, Persistent Image, Sword of Deception, Symbol of Weakness, Tree Shape, Wood Rot

5th—Bigby's Interposing Hand, Energy Immunity, Eyebite, Repulsion, Screen, Symbol of Insanity, Telekinesis

6th—Creeping Doom, Insanity, Refuge, Symbol of Sleep, Symbol of Stunning, Temporal Stasis

LordErebus12
2013-06-05, 06:15 AM
Reserved for "Deck of Cards" alternate class feature. I immediately thought the term Tarotmancer... I hope it doesn't stick.

It would replace spellcasting (although spell activation still works), as well as Sight Gag and Curtain Call.

you lose "concentration" and "spellcraft" but gain the "use magical device" skill.

PRESENTING THE TAROTMANCER:

http://i.imgur.com/Dn1f20l.jpg

At the beginning of combat, draw 5 cards. This is your hand. At the beginning of each turn, you draw one card as a free action, adding it to your hand. You can have up to 7 cards in your hand at the end of your turn. If you have more than 7 come the end of your turn, remove as many as you wish from your hand. These cards are considered used for the purposes of the encounter.

A single card can be played as a standard action. When a card is played, the effect functions until its duration finishes, after which that card is considered dormant (placed face up, at the bottom of your deck) until you reshuffle your deck after the encounter encounter is over. Doing so takes about a minute of your time but restores any cards previously used.

The 78 Cards

Minor Arcana Effects
Draw Time: 1 free action, at the beginning of your turn.
Playing Time: 1 standard action
Card Duration: 1 round, ending on your next turn.
Bonus (X value): Equal to the card value.
Distance: Medium (100 ft. plus 10 ft. per jester level)
Target: Single target or all allies (see text)
Save: None

Card Name|Card Effect
"1~10" of Cups| heals X hp to one target or repairs X damage to one object.
"Page" of Cups| heals 1 hp to all allies.
"Knight" of Cups|heals 2 hp to all allies.
"Queen" of Cups|heals 3 hp to all allies.
"King" of Cups|heals 4 hp to all allies.

"1~10" of Swords| grants a +X bonus damage on attacks to one target.
"Page" of Swords| grants a +1 bonus on damage rolls to all allies.
"Knight" of Swords| grants a +2 bonus on damage rolls to all allies.
"Queen" of Swords| grants a +3 bonus on damage rolls to all allies.
"King" of Swords| grants a +4 bonus on damage rolls to all allies.

"1~10" of Wands| grants a X bonus on one saving throw.
"Page" of Wands| grants a +1 bonus on all saving throws made by all allies.
"Knight" of Wands| grants a +2 bonus on all saving throws made by all allies.
"Queen" of Wands| grants a +3 bonus on all saving throws made by all allies.
"King" of Wands| grants a +4 bonus on all saving throws made by all allies.

"1~10" of Coins| grants a X bonus on one skill check.
"Page" of Coins| grants a +1 bonus on all skill checks made by all allies.
"Knight" of Coins| grants a +2 bonus on all skill checks made by all allies.
"Queen" of Coins| grants a +3 bonus on all skill checks made by all allies.
"King" of Coins| grants a +4 bonus on all skill checks made by all allies.

Major Arcana Effects*
Draw Time: 1 free action, at the beginning of your turn.
Playing Time: 1 standard action
Card Duration: rounds equal to 1/2 your jester level.
Bonus (X value): 1/4th your Jester level.
Distance: Medium (100 ft. plus 10 ft. per jester level)
Effect Radius: 5 ft. per two jester levels.
Save: Varies; DC 10 + 1/2 Jester level + Jester's charisma modifier.

Card Number | Card Name | Card Effect
0 or 22 |The Fool |All gear and equipment within range unequip by themselves, and fall to the floor. Once on the floor, they become too heavy to lift, as if they were glued down.
1 |The Magician |All within range gain a competence bonus to all physical-based ability and skill checks.
2 |The High Priestess |(representing 'secrets' but not clear whether its a secret kept or revealed)
3 |The Empress |All within range gain a luck bonus to all saving throws.
4 |The Emperor |All within range gain DR X/---.
5 |The Hierophant |All within range gain a competence bonus on all mental-based ability and skill checks.
6 |The Lovers |All within range are treated as X steps closer to "friendly".
7 |The Chariot |All within range gain a competence bonus on attack and damage rolls.
8 or 11 |Strength |All within range gain a competence bonus vs. any charge, bull rush, trample, or overrun attempts.
9 |The Hermit |(represents isolation and an adventurers return from a great journey)
10 |Wheel of Fortune |All allies gain a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks, while each of your foes takes a –1 penalty on such rolls.
11 or 8 |Justice |(represents either life in balance or life in chaos; things to be righted)
12 |The Hanged Man |All within range suffer a luck penalty to all saving throws.
13 |Death |All critical hits within range are confirmed.
14 |Temperance |All within range gain X temporary hit points per hit dice.
15 |The Devil |All within range are afflicted with a heavy load and moves as though on difficult terrain.
16 |The Tower |All checks within range that would normally be successful, fail. All checks that would fail, succeed.
17 |The Star |All enchantments or status conditions are broken and removed.
18 |The Moon |All sources of damage within range deal 50% more damage.
19 |The Sun |All within range gain Xd8+X in positive energy.
20 |Judgement |(Represents resurrection or a new beginning)
21 |The World |(Represents wholeness or completion)

*while not directly related, these card themes were meant to reference the cards interpretation, although this isn't perfect and sometimes was even a stretch. These are negotiable and most likely need PEACHing. I want this to function correctly.

OzymandiasX
2013-06-05, 09:37 AM
Jester, as written, is much more powerful than Bard or Rogue (the classes it seems to have been launched from).

As a charisma-based caster, he'll likely be getting +4 and higher morale bonus to all saves at 2nd level from Laugh it Off. Then add in things like full immunity to compulsion effects... ability to do full-round sneak attacks every round without flanking/invisibility/etc... Free silent and still spell... plus a lot more.

It is a very cool concept, but if it is intended to be used alongside 3.5 books, it is far superior to a rogue or bard and many of its abilities are stronger than most prestige class top-level abilities.

Daverin
2013-06-05, 10:02 AM
Ah, there is a definite reason for this: It is part of the Frank and K series. This guy? Not really meant so much to be by a vanilla rogue or (unoptimized) bard. He is meant to be able to at least pull weight along bigger hitters like wizards and clerics. Of course, take of that what you will based on your thoughts about optimization and the like.

LordErebus12
2013-06-05, 12:27 PM
Jester, as written, is much more powerful than Bard or Rogue (the classes it seems to have been launched from).

As a charisma-based caster, he'll likely be getting +4 and higher morale bonus to all saves at 2nd level from Laugh it Off. Then add in things like full immunity to compulsion effects... ability to do full-round sneak attacks every round without flanking/invisibility/etc... Free silent and still spell... plus a lot more.

It is a very cool concept, but if it is intended to be used alongside 3.5 books, it is far superior to a rogue or bard and many of its abilities are stronger than most prestige class top-level abilities.

this is apparent but not necessarily a bad thing. Rogues are fine, imo, but bards are underpowered and under-utilized. In my games the Jester class has replaced the bard in usefulness.

Ah, there is a definite reason for this: It is part of the Frank and K series. This guy? Not really meant so much to be by a vanilla rogue or (unoptimized) bard. He is meant to be able to at least pull weight along bigger hitters like wizards and clerics. Of course, take of that what you will based on your thoughts about optimization and the like.

All good points. My goal is to tweek it a bit, while keeping with the same sort of feel to the class. i cant really get started on building it just yet (I will tonight sometime), but i can say that its worth the wait.

As for the Deck of Cards acf, i figured in place of casting you could have a deck of cards that you draw from to perform special effects.

Daverin
2013-06-05, 02:16 PM
Interesting. Makes me kind of think of the Persona series. I look forward to seeing the changes you make! I myself liked this class when I first saw it, but I think the cards are more flavorful.

Also, my understanding, at least, is that bards are only underpowered if you ignore supplemental material and, in particular, prestige classes, since there is even one to advance spellcasting to 9th level.

LordErebus12
2013-06-05, 06:43 PM
Interesting. Makes me kind of think of the Persona series. I look forward to seeing the changes you make! I myself liked this class when I first saw it, but I think the cards are more flavorful.

Class is up.

I'd actually prefer help on the "deck of cards" ACF.

It would replace spellcasting (although spell activation still works), as well as Ignore Components and Sight Gag.

LordErebus12
2013-06-06, 02:14 AM
kind of stuck on the cards...

OzymandiasX
2013-06-06, 09:18 AM
A good rule of thumb when trying to make a somewhat balanced class is to make sure that people would still want to play other classes that have similar roles.

Serious question: Why would anyone play a rogue over this? The benefits of this class are flat out amazing.

LordErebus12
2013-06-06, 02:35 PM
Serious question: Why would anyone play a rogue over this? The benefits of this class are flat out amazing.

to list a few reasons why someone might favor rogue over this.

Lack of skill with magical system.
better sneak attack progression.
evasion and improved evasion.
wrong theme for character
PrC requirements
Trapmaking and disarming them.
Lock picking

but thats not the point. it may be better than another class, but doesnt mean someone will want to play with it.

also, im debating wether it would be better to have good will, rather than reflex for this class. thinking the character is gonna keep dexterity quite high, then will use Power Slide, meaning good reflex saves are useless and will further distinguish this from a rogue.

Deaxsa
2013-06-06, 04:36 PM
is this a PEACH? or are you just posting it? cause i can PEACH it if you want.
also, yea. i mean, this is overpowered(at least, by 3.5 standards). why would anyone play rogue over this? heck, if i had the option to go gestalt or go this, i might just have to choose this.

LordErebus12
2013-06-06, 05:43 PM
is this a PEACH? or are you just posting it? cause i can PEACH it if you want.
also, yea. i mean, this is overpowered(at least, by 3.5 standards). why would anyone play rogue over this? heck, if i had the option to go gestalt or go this, i might just have to choose this.

its a PEACH and yes its OP.

Removing power slide.

Deaxsa
2013-06-06, 05:51 PM
its a PEACH and yes its OP.

Removing power slide.

ok, here goes: also, please not that i may sound a bit harsh, i tend to do that (not because i don't like having nice things, but because i don't like allowing abuse, and imho less nice things>abusable things). also, i PEACH'd it while power slide was still there (it is a really cool idea, but it just needs some balancing).

Jesters are proficient with light armor but not with shields of any kind. A jester is proficient with no weapons, but suffers no attack penalty for using a weapon with which they are not proficient. If it is made for a character of a different size than themselves, the jester can still use it assuming it is within one size category. Even improvised weapons may be used without the usual -4 penalty.
in other words, proficient with all weapons. :smallmad:

Harlequin’s Mask (Ex):
As long as a Jester’s face is painted, masked, or adorned in the manner of a harlequin or other comedic figure, he functions as if under an undetectable alignment spell. At 13th level, the jester becomes immune to compulsion effects. At 19th level, the jester is also immune to fear effects.
make this (Su).. it feels more magical than anything

Poison Use (Ex):
A Jester may prepare, apply, and use poison without any chance of poisoning himself.

makes sense

Laugh It Off (Ex):
Fate protects fools and little children, and Jesters certainly adopt the role of fools. At 2nd level, a Jester may add his Charisma modifier as a morale bonus to his saves.
how is one supposed to laugh off a lightning bolt "oh haha it just blew my face off, but because i'm laughing i made my save". i'd limit this to will saves, and may not even include fort saves.

Power Slide (Ex):
If a 3rd level Jester takes damage from an attack, he may allow himself to be flung backwards, thereby lessening the impact. He may make a balance check with a DC equal to the damage inflicted and if she succeeds, he suffers only half damage.

This is a skill check, not a Saving Throw, so abilities such as Evasion do not apply. He is moved away from the source of damage by 5' for every 5 points of damage (or part thereof) negated in this way. If there is not enough space for him to move, he suffers a d6 of damage for each square not moved. If he passes through an occupied square provoking AoO, the Jester would have to make a tumble check to avoid any attacks of opportunity, following the rules of tumble.

If this ability is gained from another class, then the Jester may choose to increase or decrease the total distance moved by 50% (so a Power Slide that negated 12 points of damage can cause him to move 5’, 10’, or 15’ at her choice).
let me get this straight... assuming there is no room at all to move in (you ARE, after all, pitting a skill up against an attack roll), you would probably take 30% less damage than you were supposed to?
-i would make it so that if there's not enough space, you take full damage for every 5 feet you cannot move ( i mean, 5 turned into 1d6? really?), and fall prone
-additionally, i would make it so that you can only use this ability once per round. (or maybe once per round at 1st level, 2 at 7th, 3 at 13th, and 4 at 19th) otherwise you could flip past people to provoke AoOs, to continue flipping, to move one bajillion feet in a round.
-In conjuntion with the previous point, you should probably have to decide whether you are going to use this ability or not before you actually know how much damage you take.
-maybe (if you want to keep nerfing it) make it so that if yuo fail the check, you end up on your face.
-you should also make it so that it only reduces HP damage. (imo)

Sneak Attack (Ex):
At 3rd level, a Jester gains the ability to make sneak attacks as a rogue would. At 3rd level, his sneak attacks inflict 1 extra d6 of damage, and this increases by 1d6 every three levels (6, 9, 12, 15, and finally 6d6 at 18).
sure, makes sense

Jester’s Feint (Ex):
At 4th level, a Jester learns to distract and unnerve his enemies by throwing unexpected objects at them. As a swift action, he may toss a brightly colored object in the square of an enemy with a Sleight of Hand Check opposed by the enemy’s Sense Motive check. If it succeeds, the enemy is denied his Dex bonus for the Jester’s next attack.

Some Jesters use objects with magical or alchemic effects that act in an enemy’s square to use with this ability, while others use colored balls, fruit, pieces of cloth or scarves, or other cast-off materials that fit the requirement of being brightly colored. Wealthy, desperate, or foolish Jesters sometime used coins or gems.
i'd just include a clause about how long the flat-footedness lasts (within one or two turns before they are no longer flat-footed), and how they actually have to have a brightly colored object on them, and that reaching for one is not, in fact, part of his action(if it's in a bag or something)

Ignore Components:
At 5th level, a Jester may cast spells from the Jester list without using material components, unless they cost more than or equal to 1000 gp. This has no effect on any spells that a Jester casts from any other spell-list.
...lol up to 1k gp? AND you have UMD as a class skill? yea... no. maybe give them eschew materials for free, but this, this is overpowered.
also you have no (Ex, Su, or Sp)

Cruel Comment (Su):
At 5th level, the Jester has learned to say extremely funny but hurtful things about others. As a swift action, the Jester can make a Bluff check opposed by a d20 + target’s level + Charisma check. If the target fails this check, he suffers a -4 to attack rolls, saves, and all other checks. This effect lasts 1d4 rounds. This is a language-dependent compulsion ability.
A) wouldn't it be wisdom, not charisma,
B) whynot just make it a will save?
C) this one should definitely be (Sp)

Sight Gag:
At 7th level, the Jester may apply the Silent Spell and Still Spell metamagics spontaneously to his spells, but only if he casts them as full-round actions. This ability only works with spells on the Jester list, and it does not increase the spell’s level or slot used.
not much to say about this one, but if the spell list is any good, it's overpowered. additionally, you should make it so that it's either/or, not and/or. also, should be (Ex)

Low Comedy (Ex):
By using this ability, a Jester of 8th level or higher can double the armor check penalty of an opponent within 50 feet that he hits with a ranged touch attack. Using this ability is an attack action and counts as a thrown weapon. The penalty can be restored to its normal value with 10 minutes and a bar of soap.
...I honestly don't even get this ability, but ok.

Slapstick (Ex):
At 8th level, any successful sneak attack also inflict a -2 Dex penalty to an enemy for one round.
don't get this one either...

King of Charades (Ex):
At 10th level, so long as he meets the requirements of his Harlequin’s face ability, all creatures who the jester attempts to fool suffer a -4 penalty on sense motive checks to see through the charade. Also, the jester receives a luck bonus equal to 1/4th his class level (maximum +5) on the following skill checks: bluff, diplomacy, disguise, perform, sleight of hand, perform and use rope. However, the jester loses these bonuses that round if ever caught flat-footed.
A) harlequin's face ability? where is that?
B) since when is sense motive used to see through a disguise?

Tricky Hands (Ex):
At 11th level, the Jester has mastered Sleight of Hand and can use this subterfuge while applying poisons. Applying any poison to a weapon requires only a swift action. The jester can use sleight of hand check to not only draw or conceal weapons but to apply poisons.
ok, but what would the check modifier be? maybe it's -0 for light weapons, -4 for one-handed, and -8 for two-handed/double?

Killer Clown (Su):
At 12th level, so long as he meets the requirements of his Harlequin’s face ability, the Jester can make a special Intimidate check as a move action. If successful, this check causes the enemy to suffer the panicked condition for 1d4 rounds. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.
A) again with the "Harlequin's Face" ability

Annoy the Gods (Su):
As world-class pranksters, Jesters must learn to avoid the curses and transformations of enemies with a sense of humor. Any time a 14th level Jester has spent at least one round as the victim of an effect that could be removed by a break enchantment effect, the effect is removed.
you should rename this ability "annoy the DM" and then watch as he removes it from your list of class abilities.

Prat Fall (Ex):
At 16th level, any time a Jester strikes an enemy with a sneak attack, the Jester can make a free Trip attack that does not provoke an Attack of Opportunity. This ability cannot be used on any one enemy more than once a round. The Jester cannot be tripped in return if this attempt fails, and it may be used with ranged sneak attacks. The Jester may substitute his Dexterity modifier for his Strength modifier for the opposed test to trip his foe.
sure, why not

Curtain Call (Su):
At 17th level, the Jester can turn even his death into a joke. Any time the Jester is killed or knocked unconscious, one of his spells known is cast as if it were spell in a contingency effect.
why not make it so that he must decide beforehand, or it's a random spell?

Eternal Trickster (Ex):
At 20th level, the Jester becomes an enigma. While meeting the requirements of his Harlequin’s Mask ability, he does not age, knowledge checks used to identify the jester automatically fail and is under the effects of a mind blank effect.
make this (Su), remove the "autofail" bit, and you have a deal.

LordErebus12
2013-06-06, 06:02 PM
ok, here goes: also, please not that i may sound a bit harsh, i tend to do that (not because i don't like having nice things, but because i don't like allowing abuse, and imho less nice things>abusable things). also, i PEACH'd it while power slide was still there (it is a really cool idea, but it just needs some balancing).

okay, give me a bit to make some changes.

LordErebus12
2013-06-06, 06:12 PM
Changes made throughout.

I pulled Low Comedy and Power Slide out of the class.

Jodah
2013-06-06, 10:40 PM
Could you state how the proficiency statement is at all different from "proficient with all weapons?" I get that since you technically don't have proficiency it doesn't meet prerequisites, but without the penalties there is really no issue without proficiency.

LordErebus12
2013-06-06, 10:47 PM
Could you state how the proficiency statement is at all different from "proficient with all weapons?" I get that since you technically don't have proficiency it doesn't meet prerequisites, but without the penalties there is really no issue without proficiency.

well lets look at the example of a GISH prestige class.

Eldritch Knight requires proficiency in all martial weapons. This class may have no penalties for using a martial weapon, but it isn't proficient, meaning it would not qualify without taking a dip in another martial class.

Xuldarinar
2013-06-07, 12:57 AM
What an amusing interpretation of the Jester. I like it, though its more rogue like than the Jester class I'm accustomed to. The Dragon Magazine Compendium rehash of the bard. Ignoring comparisons and favoritism, however, it looks pretty good. Very creative.

LordErebus12
2013-06-07, 02:15 AM
What an amusing interpretation of the Jester. I like it, though its more rogue like than the Jester class I'm accustomed to. The Dragon Magazine Compendium rehash of the bard. Ignoring comparisons and favoritism, however, it looks pretty good. Very creative.

thanks. hopefully it wasn't all for nothing.

Edit: went through and started fleshing out concepts for the 22 major arcana card effects. Figured they could be cast as AoE buffs/debuffs that generally affect all within range, with a few exceptions.

Edit: 70+ cards down.

LordErebus12
2013-06-07, 02:52 PM
could use some peaching on the ACF

Deaxsa
2013-06-07, 03:13 PM
could use some peaching on the ACF

will PEACH it when i have more time (probably this evening).

in the meantime, how do jesters cast spells?(Cleric Vs. Sorcerer Vs. Wizard Vs. Beguiler) is that list spells known, spells/day, or what? are they arcane or divine?

you need a spellcasting section where you describe how the jester's spells work, in detail.

edit: cruel comment currently has no downtime or limit to it's uses, and stacks with itself(maybe a jester can only use it a class level times/day, and there is a 1d4+2 round downtime between uses on the same target?).

additionally, (i'm not entirely sure about this one) but i think you can even hit constructs with it as long as they speak your language/understand you. you should make it [mind-affecting]. (not just to make it weaker, but so that it actually makes sense).

edit2: both annoy the gods and eternal trickster are (still) OP(and not in the fun way).

-there is no way to fix Annoy the gods without limiting it's uses(say, x/day, where x=1/4 class level, rounded down) or removing it (you do realize it's basically a permanent contingent IHS, right?). additionally, make it so that it can only remove effects if it is the second round of that effect being active (so you can't remove yesterday's curses with today's uses, or put off curse removal to see which ones you want to remove at the end of the day)

-Eternal trickster is a great ability (especially as a capstone)but you have to remove the part about auto-failing checks! the way it's set up, even if you get extremely famous, people cant know anything about you (even the scams that caused you to be famous). maybe make it "the DC to make any knowledge check about this character increases by 5 (or 10), but you absolutely cannot make it an absolute statement.(see what i did there?) i mean, my epic level archivist/factotum/bard is not allowed to know things about you, even though i should totally be able to find out at least who your persona is, because of that clause.

Jodah
2013-06-07, 03:49 PM
Deaxsa: I think that is the point. The jester is simply the jester when he has his makeup on. He has no background to know, no ties to exploit, anything. The bonus is that the BBEG can't find anyone you care about, but the downside is that no matter how good your joke is - no one realizes you are any different from any other jester and tip you accordingly.

Erebus: I get the lack of meeting prereqs, but I find that being able pick up a chair is probably flavorful while being able to pick up a 3 part staff and use it is probably not. I would alter it to no proficiencies but able to use anything as an improvised weapon without penalties. The change is that weapons will not deal damage based on what size object they are (type should fall under common sense) rather than a the larger amounts of damage listed on the item. It also forces the player to take the penalty if they want to use the special features like free trips and what not. Basically, the flavor is that they can use it and not hurt themselves but they are not trained and can't "make it look easy" like the professionals.

This is advice, by the way, for you to do with what you will (either way, I recommend looking at the rues for improvised weapons when making the decision so that it is doing what you want it to do flavor wise.

Deaxsa
2013-06-07, 04:36 PM
Deaxsa: I think that is the point. The jester is simply the jester when he has his makeup on. He has no background to know, no ties to exploit, anything. The bonus is that the BBEG can't find anyone you care about, but the downside is that no matter how good your joke is - no one realizes you are any different from any other jester and tip you accordingly

except, he does have a background. he has a history. he has an MO. he has made friends (or at least, made acquaintances). he has had emplyers (or might even currently have an employer). he has had lovers. heck, he might have even had a spouse at some point.

now, while protecting that information is absolutely something that should be part of a jester's priorities, it should not be an in-game mechanic that actively disallows people from learning about you.

LordErebus12
2013-06-07, 06:10 PM
Heading to a fair in a few minutes, wont be able to reply until tonight sometime.

I want those checks to fail as a capstone. its the whole point, to be another person entirely. Makes true naming difficult (I think), as well.

as for the Annoy the Gods ability, i dont feel right in editing it. You suffer the one round and then slip out of the effect.

Spells: The jester is an Arcane Spellcaster with the same spells per day progression as a bard. A jester automatically knows every spell on his spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing them ahead of time, provided that spell slots of an appropriate level are still available. To cast a jester spell, he must have a Charisma at least equal to 10 + the spell level. The DC of the jester's spells is Charisma based and the bonus spells are Charisma based.

LordErebus12
2013-06-08, 01:08 AM
Deaxsa: I think that is the point. The jester is simply the jester when he has his makeup on. He has no background to know, no ties to exploit, anything. The bonus is that the BBEG can't find anyone you care about, but the downside is that no matter how good your joke is - no one realizes you are any different from any other jester and tip you accordingly.

Exactly my point, thank you for putting it so elegantly.

Erebus: I get the lack of meeting prereqs, but I find that being able pick up a chair is probably flavorful while being able to pick up a 3 part staff and use it is probably not. I would alter it to no proficiencies but able to use anything as an improvised weapon without penalties. The change is that weapons will not deal damage based on what size object they are (type should fall under common sense) rather than a the larger amounts of damage listed on the item. It also forces the player to take the penalty if they want to use the special features like free trips and what not. Basically, the flavor is that they can use it and not hurt themselves but they are not trained and can't "make it look easy" like the professionals.

This is advice, by the way, for you to do with what you will (either way, I recommend looking at the rues for improvised weapons when making the decision so that it is doing what you want it to do flavor wise.

I might see that working. it would seem better if it were worded that way.

LordErebus12
2013-06-08, 01:10 AM
except, he does have a background. he has a history. he has an MO. he has made friends (or at least, made acquaintances). he has had emplyers (or might even currently have an employer). he has had lovers. heck, he might have even had a spouse at some point.

now, while protecting that information is absolutely something that should be part of a jester's priorities, it should not be an in-game mechanic that actively disallows people from learning about you.

He may have all that, but when he puts on the mask, he becomes an idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/bobmitchell/blog%20pics/V-ideas.jpg

Debihuman
2013-06-08, 03:56 AM
Jesters are proficient with light armor but not with shields of any kind. A jester is proficient with no weapons. Any weapon that the jester uses that they are not proficient, which is treated as an improvised weapon of appropriate size, without the usual -4 penalty. If the weapon is made for a character of a different size than themselves, the jester can still use it assuming it is within one size category.

I find this blatantly unfair to any class with prerequisites. A weapon by its nature cannot be an "improvised weapon" as those are things that aren't weapons that are used as weapons. If someone came to me with this class, I'd not let them use a knife as an improvised weapon at all unless it was to use the butt end of the knife as bludgeoning improvised weapon. Holding weapons as improvised weapons could lead to the pointy end causing self-inflicted wounds on a miss....because I'm a mean and heartless DM at times.

Debby

LordErebus12
2013-06-08, 04:09 AM
I find this blatantly unfair to any class with prerequisites. A weapon by its nature cannot be an "improvised weapon" as those are things that aren't weapons that are used as weapons. If someone came to me with this class, I'd not let them use a knife as an improvised weapon at all unless it was to use the butt end of the knife as bludgeoning improvised weapon. Holding weapons as improvised weapons could lead to the pointy end causing self-inflicted wounds on a miss....because I'm a mean and heartless DM at times.

Debby

how would you handle it?

I liked it before but at least when its an improvised weapon some of its power is clipped. I dont honestly feel that just because its a bit OP, doesnt mean it isnt still viable. when a character can create a fireball with a simple gesture and some muttered words, why cant someone simply pick up a random weapon and use it without a penalty? Its the magic (and more importantly the flavor) of the class.

OLD:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Jesters are proficient with light armor but not with shields of any kind. A jester is proficient with no weapons, but suffers no attack penalty for using a weapon with which they are not proficient or which is made for a character of a different size than themselves. Even, perhaps especially, improvised weapons may be used without the usual -4 penalty.

Debihuman
2013-06-08, 04:44 AM
why can't someone simply pick up a random weapon and use it without a penalty?

Because that's what weapon proficiencies do, they negate the penalty. If you give them Improvised Weapons as a proficiency then they lose the penalty (which they should) but that still doesn't allow them to use weapons as improvised weapons. I can smack you with a rifle as an improvised weapon--that doesn't mean I have the ability to shoot you with it.

Casting a fireball doesn't make you better at throwing rocks or wielding a dagger.

Debby

LordErebus12
2013-06-08, 04:53 AM
Because that's what weapon proficiencies do, they negate the penalty. If you give them Improvised Weapons as a proficiency then they lose the penalty (which they should) but that still doesn't allow them to use weapons as improvised weapons. I can smack you with a rifle as an improvised weapon--that doesn't mean I have the ability to shoot you with it.

Casting a fireball doesn't make you better at throwing rocks or wielding a dagger.

Debby

fair enough

Jesters are proficient with light armor but not with shields of any kind. A jester is proficient with no weapons. However, a jester can use any improvised weapon of appropriate size without the usual -4 penalty.

Debihuman
2013-06-08, 04:55 AM
Now that looks exactly perfect. :-)

Debby

LordErebus12
2013-06-08, 04:56 AM
Now that looks exactly perfect. :-)

Debby

Harley Quinn used a giant hammer... maybe we should allow that to be an improvised weapon?

Debihuman
2013-06-08, 05:00 AM
I think the hammer violates the weapon proficiency and the appropriate size limitation.

However, I made a pair of stiletto heels for my Acolyte of the Blessed Imelda Marco's prestige class that can be thrown like a weapon. Your jester could use them too.

Debby

LordErebus12
2013-06-08, 05:02 AM
I think the hammer violates the weapon proficiency and the appropriate size limitation.

However, I made a pair of stiletto heels for my Acolyte of the Blessed Imelda Marco's prestige class that can be thrown like a weapon. Your jester could use them too.

Debby

Who throws a shoe, honestly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0bVaTjF_Y

Debihuman
2013-06-08, 06:38 AM
People who throw shoes as deadly weapons: Fashionistas; the barmaid who was fed up with the last patron who hit on her or the one who tried to skip out without paying (bet she beaned him good!); the scorned wife, mistress, hooker, etc.; a succubus in cognito; the old lady you rushed passed and didn't hold the door for (bet you didn't know she was a secret member of the Red Hat Society either), peeved fairy godmothers, etc. Throwing shoes are so unexpected.

Stiletto Shoes of Salsa Dancing
These open-toed shoes come in variety of colors, with or without sequins. In either case, the heels add 3-5 inches of height to the wearer. These strappy shoes look deceptively fragile, but have a steel bar supporting the heel. They add +2 to Perform (Dance) and add 5 feet to the speed of anyone wearing them. As a last resort, the wearer can remove a shoe and use it as a weapon. The heel does 1d3 points of piercing damage. The shoe may be thrown and has a 10-foot range.
Moderate Transmutation; CL 6, Craft Wondrous Item; cat's grace, haste; Cost 8,000 gp; Weight 2 lbs.

And now we're off topic.

Debby

LordErebus12
2013-06-08, 07:18 AM
And now we're off topic.

lol, yeah. speaking of removing shoes, does removing it count as drawing it? Does quick draw apply?

--------------------

what about the ACF?

Debihuman
2013-06-08, 10:31 AM
lol, yeah. speaking of removing shoes, does removing it count as drawing it? Does quick draw apply?

While I hadn't considered that, I would say removing a shoe in order to throw it counts as drawing it and thus quick draw would apply.

what about the ACF?

As an aficionado of the tarot deck, I found your chart to be rather disappointing. When using tarot card, there should be an opposite effect for when a card is pulled upside-down. Your deck misses all the nuances of the cards and doesn't allow for tarot lay out of the cards. Granted, it's a huge undertaking and I understand why you avoided it. That doesn't stop my disappointment that you went that particular route. I would have preferred something like this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/22813842/Homebrew-Tarot-Deck-of-Many-Things. [Not that I agree with the choices of this deck either but you get the idea].

How about allowing a jester to peak a look at magical cards (deck of illusion or deck of many things or Harrow deck from Pathfinder or Tarroka cards in Ravenloft), in addition to using a magical tarot deck?

Debby

Jodah
2013-06-08, 11:21 AM
The idea I was basing the improvised weapon thing off of was an ability from the Oathsworn in Arcana Unearthed (A Sword and Sorcery book).

Objects as Weapons (Ex): Rarely, an oathsworn faces
a foe her fists cannot overcome or one that is foolish
to touch (a caustic ooze, or a fire elemental). In such cases, a 6th-level
and higher oathsworn can use any object she can lift over her head as a
weapon she is proficient with. The object must weigh at least 1 lb. to use
it as a weapon. She uses her normal attack bonus and unarmed damage.
The DM should pay close attention to the sturdiness of the object.
Although the oathsworn can inflict surprising damage with harmlesslooking
objects, this ability does not grant the object any special
strength. Many objects will break when used as weapons. Some objects,
at the DM’s discretion, might grant special abilities. For example, a
character might wield a rope as a whip, and use it to make trip attacks.

The major change I made was that the object deal damage according to it's size as an improvised weapon. As written I see no reason this can't extend to weapons, as if you are not proficient with it, almost any weapon is improvised (with the exception, maybe, of a club - as I can imagine no other action to do with it).

Debihuman
2013-06-08, 11:43 AM
The idea I was basing the improvised weapon thing off of was an ability from the Oathsworn in Arcana Unearthed (A Sword and Sorcery book).

THANk YOU for providing the source. I wish more people did that.

The major change I made was that the object deal damage according to it's size as an improvised weapon. As written I see no reason this can't extend to weapons, as if you are not proficient with it, almost any weapon is improvised (with the exception, maybe, of a club - as I can imagine no other action to do with it).

It can't extend to weapons because technically they aren't "objects" they're "weapons." If I throw a club at you technically that's using it as an object but If I melee with it, it's being used as weapon and doesn't qualify. We're all gonna need a drink after wrapping our heads around that.

Obviously what constitutes appropriate size is up to a DM. If a PC picks up a table (assuming the PC is strong enough to lift it in the first place) and throws it at foes who are standing side-by-side, how much damage does it do? There are no good equivalents for somethings. As for the table, I'd rule 3d6 points of bludgeoning damage.
Debby

LordErebus12
2013-06-08, 03:36 PM
As an aficionado of the tarot deck, I found your chart to be rather disappointing. When using tarot card, there should be an opposite effect for when a card is pulled upside-down. Your deck misses all the nuances of the cards and doesn't allow for tarot lay out of the cards. Granted, it's a huge undertaking and I understand why you avoided it. That doesn't stop my disappointment that you went that particular route. I would have preferred something like this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/22813842/Homebrew-Tarot-Deck-of-Many-Things. [Not that I agree with the choices of this deck either but you get the idea].

How about allowing a jester to peak a look at magical cards (deck of illusion or deck of many things or Harrow deck from Pathfinder or Tarroka cards in Ravenloft), in addition to using a magical tarot deck?

Debby

The big problem is the abilities are so powerful and permanent. Honestly, i thought about using flip effects for the Major Arcana only.

LordErebus12
2013-06-08, 04:15 PM
perhaps a different approach???

I suggest another type of card using ability, scratching the tarotmancer concept for a moment.

imagine that cards could be made from other spells, from items, from creatures. Lets say for 50 gp (Special Inks and Paper) plus 25 per CL/HD of the spell/item/creature being used. You would have to actually have one scroll of the spell, the body of a creature, or the item in question to be used as a focus. Doing so takes a small arcane ritual that takes 10 minutes.

The item becomes a summonable item that becomes automatically equipped, worn, carried and can be used normally. A creature's body is cloned, absorbed or and restored to a semblance of life within the card, and is able to be summoned for a single encounter. the spell would be set as a specific caster level based on the use magical device check used to "cast" it for the focus. That way whenever it is used, it functions as the card's spell effect, power and caster level.

deck size could be limited to 60 at max, although it would start small and increase in size over time.

ArcherMaru
2013-06-11, 12:10 AM
I really like what you're doing so far though. I think your idea might be interesting but what you're already doing for the tarrotmancer is excellent so far. I feel it might become too complicated way too quickly if you go with that new idea.

LordErebus12
2013-06-11, 01:02 AM
I really like what you're doing so far though. I think your idea might be interesting but what you're already doing for the tarrotmancer is excellent so far. I feel it might become too complicated way too quickly if you go with that new idea.

the biggest problem is i need some help with it all.

Debihuman
2013-06-11, 09:14 AM
Imagine that cards could be made from other spells, from items, from creatures. Lets say for 50 gp (Special Inks and Paper) plus 25 per CL/HD of the spell/item/creature being used. You would have to actually have one scroll of the spell, the body of a creature, or the item in question to be used as a focus. Doing so takes a small arcane ritual that takes 10 minutes.

That's assuming that making the cards is worthwhile endeavor. Creating the card would require the Craft Wondrous Item feat as well as well as other creation feats.

The item becomes a summonable item that becomes automatically equipped, worn, carried and can be used normally. A creature's body is cloned, absorbed or and restored to a semblance of life within the card, and is able to be summoned for a single encounter. the spell would be set as a specific caster level based on the use magical device check used to "cast" it for the focus. That way whenever it is used, it functions as the card's spell effect, power and caster level.

I really dislike this as a renewable resource for spells as that has game breaking repercussions (at no level would I want the PCs to get a hold of a card of wish for unlimited wishes). As a creature, it's too much like a figurine of wondrous power. As an item, why bother? Once you have the item or can make it, you stick in a bag of holding. Turning an item that's very heavy into a card is kinda neat but makes things way too easy for the PCs.

A deck size could be limited to 60 at max, although it would start small and increase in size over time.

That's far more gear than the PCs should have at most levels.

Debby

ArcherMaru
2013-06-11, 10:42 AM
The Fool(Upside Down): Reinforces all equipment within range with a bonus, giving armor, rolls to hit, and damage a +X for the duration.

The Magician(Upside Down):(Fortitude) All within range suddenly find physical-based abilities and skill checks more difficult and take a -X to them.

The High Priestess(Rightside Up): (Will save) All within range suddenly become unable to speak or communicate amongst each other impossible.

The High Priestess (Upside Down): The next spell used by the spell-caster is able to be mimiced by the Jester X times while in the encounter. This means the spell can only be used by the Jester during that encounter.

The Empress(Upside Down): All within range take a karmic minus to their saving throws equal to x.

The Emperor(Upside Down): All within range take a +x to any damage they take.

The Hierophant(Upside Down):All within range take a karmic minus to their mental abilities.

Just some ideas. I don't know if you like them any, but i'm more than willing to help. We can even change it so the Jester takes some kind of penalty instead when he draws an upside down card. Or if you want to be true to a Jester, the Jester is forced to pick an ally for its effects to plague.

LordErebus12
2013-06-11, 04:06 PM
The Fool(Upside Down): Reinforces all equipment within range with a bonus, giving armor, rolls to hit, and damage a +X for the duration.

The Magician(Upside Down):(Fortitude) All within range suddenly find physical-based abilities and skill checks more difficult and take a -X to them.

The High Priestess(Rightside Up): (Will save) All within range suddenly become unable to speak or communicate amongst each other impossible.

The High Priestess (Upside Down): The next spell used by the spell-caster is able to be mimiced by the Jester X times while in the encounter. This means the spell can only be used by the Jester during that encounter.

The Empress(Upside Down): All within range take a karmic minus to their saving throws equal to x.

The Emperor(Upside Down): All within range take a +x to any damage they take.

The Hierophant(Upside Down):All within range take a karmic minus to their mental abilities.

Just some ideas. I don't know if you like them any, but i'm more than willing to help. We can even change it so the Jester takes some kind of penalty instead when he draws an upside down card. Or if you want to be true to a Jester, the Jester is forced to pick an ally for its effects to plague.

all excellent ideas, i need time to handle some personal stuff but when i get to it, i'll be making upside down effects for the major arcana. i will most likely use some of these you posted. keep them coming.