PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Getting Fear on the Summoner list or as a Spell-like Ability?

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-05, 06:16 AM
Alright so, I'm applying for a Kingmaker campaign, and I have a very specific character idea in mind.

The only thing holding me up is spells - summoners are (understandably) not much for the mind effecting/emotional manipulation type magic; and this character really ought to have at least a few spells in that vein.*

I'm also not allowed to use Samsaran, so I can't go for the usual Mystic Past Life shenanigans to poach from the Bard list like I was originally planning.

So far it seems like my only real chance is to buy Wands of the spells I want and UMD them. That's doable, but not ideal.

Is there any other reasonable way to get access to Fear without having to heavily multiclass? (I'm using Broodmaster Summoner, so multiclassing would hurt even more than usual, and it's rarely good for a summoner to begin with.)

Ultimately I can live without it if there's simply no way to do it (and after much looking I'm certainly not seeing any way to do it) - but before I resign myself to wand-wielding I figure I'll ask the folks here if there's something I've overlooked somewhere that might get me what I want?

Fear is the only "must have" spell, but there are a few others I'd like to nab off the Bard list if possible.

*I've thought about trying to run as other classes, particularly as suggested by someone else the Dread; but Summoner fits so perfectly in every other respect that I feel like I probably am going to have to give up one piece of the concept to get any of it to work.

Corlindale
2013-06-05, 10:42 AM
A few levels in Arcane Savant can do it. Not as good as Samsaran, since you lose Summoner progression and the spell becomes higher level, but it's the only other way I know of to freely pick off-list spells.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-05, 12:00 PM
Hrm, that IS useful information! Thank you!

Keneth
2013-06-05, 12:45 PM
If this is a standard campaign, not some unreasonably restrictive crap like PFS, I suggest you ask the GM if they'll let you research the spells you need. Multiclassing, or using uncommon races just to get a few spells makes no sense, it tends to damage your character concept far more than it solidifies it.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-06-05, 12:51 PM
If this is just a home game talk to your GM about the concept you want to play. He might be able to suggest a better class or write up a quick archetype that lets you match the play style you're looking for.

I really wouldn't recommend multi-classing as a Summoner, especially not for fear spells. It just won't work well in the end.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-05, 01:16 PM
Going to ask about researching the spells I think. Barring some other class that can get multiple eidolons* that I've somehow missed I feel like that's pretty much my only option.

*Dread with the Nightmare Constructor archetype is painfully close to what I want, but I can only get one eidolon that way rather than running a brood as I intend.

JusticeZero
2013-06-05, 03:50 PM
Then pick up the feat to get a power from wherever, and use it on the ectoplasmic construct power?
www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/unlocked-talent

grarrrg
2013-06-05, 05:26 PM
Samsaran is out.
Arcane Savant has already been mentioned.

Last option is Improved Eldritch Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-eldritch-heritage), taking the Arcane Bloodline (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/arcane-bloodline)'s level 9 ability.

You presumably have the CHA requirement, but you'd have to wait until level 11 to take the feat, which isn't too bad, as Fear is a 4 level spell, which you don't have those until level 10 as a Summoner anyway (unless you want the lower level versions).

The main downside is the Feat investment.
3 feats just to add a spell (or 3) to your list (Skill Focus, Eldritch Heritage, Imp. Eld. Her.).

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-05, 05:52 PM
While that IS a lot of feats I admit, but for something so central to my concept I'm fairly willing to do that. Thank you grarrrg!

grarrrg
2013-06-05, 06:22 PM
While that IS a lot of feats I admit, but for something so central to my concept I'm fairly willing to do that. Thank you grarrrg!

Granted, only 1 of the feats is really "wasted", the Skill Focus: Knowledge (unless you can afford the Skill points to make it useful that is).

Eldritch Heritage (normal) will get you an Arcane Bond. That's either +1 of your best spell slots every day, or a Familiar.