PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying advice

BenShums
2013-06-05, 10:06 AM
I'm playing a beguiler, but I'm not too fond of his personality. He's lived his whole life on the streets and, up until the last session, could only afford rags for clothes. He's joined a party of nobles who all speak sophisticated, while my character speaks like trash (no wittiness at all; too easily afraid of things). He's chaotic neutral, which means he's selfish and hard to get along with. I need to figure out how to alter his personality so that I like him more. Tips?

Raven777
2013-06-05, 10:21 AM
I'm playing a beguiler, but I'm not too fond of his personality. He's lived his whole life on the streets and, up until the last session, could only afford rags for clothes. He's joined a party of nobles who all speak sophisticated, while my character speaks like trash (no wittiness at all; too easily afraid of things). He's chaotic neutral, which means he's selfish and hard to get along with. I need to figure out how to alter his personality so that I like him more. Tips?

Buy some nice clothes. Become this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFj3OXVL_wQ). Or any one of these guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImMGNQ2OEjo).

nedz
2013-06-05, 10:33 AM
So your character thinks that The Aristocrats is just the punchline of a classy joke.

You could play him as a rags to riches type. Hanging out with the Aristocrats is a fine piece of social climbing, just be sure to wear lots of bling.

Or you could be an anti-snob always having a chip on your shoulder about the Aristos. Just make sure you always point out their snobbishness.

I've no idea which character you would like more.

Ed: Or you could play him as a chancer — which would fit with the Beguiler stuff.

Mutazoia
2013-06-05, 10:34 AM

Watch a few episodes of the original "Lost in Space" TV show...emulate Dr. Smith...

Miranius
2013-06-05, 10:35 AM
For that i would need to know what you like. Strong evil characters, selfless good ones, heroic scoundrels or bumbling well meening fools?

btw, why did you post that twice, you can edit your posts after all.... ?

TheStranger
2013-06-05, 12:32 PM

What about him don't you like playing, other than being afraid of things (which is an easy fix - just stop being afraid)? Playing a street tough who thinks he's as good as anybody could be fun. Lack of education doesn't mean he's not clever (unless you don't want him to be). The fast-talking street urchin is a great trope. Sure, you'll have an uneducated dialect, but there's nothing wrong with that; you could even play it up and act like the noble are halfwits because they don't follow your street slang, which would play right into being selfish and hard to get along with (not a mandatory aspect of CN, but that's a different thread).

So if you've decided your character isn't fun to play, you should change the way you play him, but I think he sounds (at least potentially) fun as is.

mcbobbo
2013-06-05, 01:58 PM
If you decide what you want to change are are next wondering how to go about it, I always recommend emulation. Say you want to be more heroic. Start sucking up to the Paladin. Or if you were going to take a level of Cleric some day, pick up a holy symbol and start blessing stuff. Just imagine your insecure preteen brother and picture what he would do.

It usually makes for a lot of fun, and you can get over your phase as soon as it grows old.

BenShums
2013-06-05, 02:35 PM
Sorry about the double post; new to this thread. Lots of good ideas guys, thanks!