PDA

View Full Version : mounted warlock?

CyberThread
2013-06-05, 01:39 PM
Just curious, because the idea seems interesting, how would a mounted warlock work out?

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-05, 01:43 PM
Well...

I imagine that you build a glaivlock with wild cohort. Then dip Silverwood Arcanist to add to the cross class ride problem and allow you to control your mount as a free action. Then you ride forward and glaive things to death.

I can't remember the rules for PRCing warlocks with classes that advance spellcasting. Can you qualify as casting 3rd level spells or not? If not, then the PRC will be hard to get into.

awa
2013-06-05, 01:49 PM
A warlock does not get a lot out of being mounted

the big advantage to being mounted are charging with a lance or moving and making full attacks with a ranged weapon. Neither helps a warlock much.

A flying mount is useful but warlocks can fly under there own power by level 6 anyways

Urpriest
2013-06-05, 01:58 PM
If a warlock is blasting and using their move actions for Psionic Shot or similar, then a mount could add some mobility.

The case of glaivelocks is interesting. Since glaivelocks technically use a full-round casting invocation rather than making an actual full attack, the restriction against making full attacks when your mount moves arguably doesn't apply. If you read things that way, that could be a good way to move and full attack.

Amphetryon
2013-06-05, 04:00 PM
A Warlock with a mount is potentially an interesting take on the Mounted Archery archetype, which 3.5 otherwise makes notoriously difficult to do well. A Mounted Xeph Warlock/Hellfire Warlock (with a means of mitigating the CON damage, of course) and the feats/invocations for long-range combat can be a particularly aggravating foe, given the active defenses potentially available to him aside from the range and the prodigious damage output potential.

CyberThread
2013-06-05, 05:15 PM
How does xeph speed boost affect the mount, I thought it didn't.

Amphetryon
2013-06-05, 05:19 PM
How does xeph speed boost affect the mount, I thought it didn't.

I simply chose a Psionic Race at random; pick any other Psionic Race you like. I have seen shenanigans to get the boost to apply to a mount, but the logic/rules-fu applied may have been flawed.

I sincerely hope you're not missing the forest for the trees here by choosing to focus on a single word in my response as if the whole concept were faulty by virtue of a particular Racial ability not (necessarily) applying.

Darrin
2013-06-05, 05:37 PM
A warlock does not get a lot out of being mounted

the big advantage to being mounted are charging with a lance or moving and making full attacks with a ranged weapon. Neither helps a warlock much.

Actually, a glaivelock is one of the few ways you can charge on a mount and get a full attack. While the rules for mounted charges prevent you from making a full attack if the mount moves more than 5', they do not prevent a warlock from using a full-round SLA... which is what eldritch glaive would be. So a mounted warlock could direct his mount to charge, then full-round SLA, which allows him to make iterative attacks.

Unfortunately, you don't get all the various charging multipliers on your eldritch glaive, and all the various vagaries of how feats/weaponlike SLAs interact still needs to be worked out with your DM. But I've been waiting to see a really good mounted glaivelock build for a while now.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-05, 05:59 PM
What I would do would be to make a gnome warlock with craft effigy. Then make a nice mount with a very fast fly speed. You could do some cool stuff alternating between glaivlocking and spear fishing.

CyberThread
2013-06-05, 06:15 PM
I think the three most important things that would need to be considered.

Resolving weapon sla issues with DM

Having spell like abilities , to have some sort of shared spell or benfits, that you see with familiars or companions.

Have the DM be generous with what warlocks count for spellcasting prestige.

**one nasty thing that would be nice, is Zent Skymage**

Urpriest
2013-06-05, 07:12 PM
I think the three most important things that would need to be considered.

Resolving weapon sla issues with DM

Having spell like abilities , to have some sort of shared spell or benfits, that you see with familiars or companions.

Have the DM be generous with what warlocks count for spellcasting prestige.

**one nasty thing that would be nice, is Zent Skymage**

Hmm...Zhent Skymage is an interesting one. Warlocks definitely don't qualify for PrCs that ask for x level of spells...but they actually do qualify for specific spells if they have an invocation or other SLA that mimics the spell in question. And they do get a few of the options on the list. You get Invisibility with Walk Unseen, you can get Detect Thoughts, Suggestion, and Summon Monster from the Fiendish Heritage line. You'd have to ask your DM what the Scry ranks become though.

CyberThread
2013-06-05, 07:44 PM
I think the huge thing needed, is share spell affects with whatever you are riding.