PDA

View Full Version : [AD&D 2E] Help! I wished for a spell that doesn't exist!

Chivalriffic
2013-06-05, 01:43 PM
Hey all - long time lurker, first time poster. Here we go.

The question is this: What spell in AD&D is most equivalent to the 3rd editions' spell "Ray Deflection?" I'm really at a loss.

- - -

The story is this:
My hobbit wizard wasn't prepared to let his company march into a hive of Beholders unprepared, so, lacking time, he wished at a demonic altar to be taught Ray Deflection (which I verified as a great defense against Beholders.) The problem is - I didn't realize the spell didn't EXIST until the third edition. Now our DM is asking me to find an alternative from AD&D.

So far, I've considered the Baneful Deflection spells, but.. they just re-route the ray to another target, and I can't afford that kind of potential for catastrophe.

Any help is much appreciated!

SiuiS
2013-06-05, 01:48 PM
A really vengeful 2e DM would give you a magic hand mirror :smallbiggrin:

The secret is, really, that you can research and create such a spell, so that may be the best bet. But redirecting at random might be the best you've got... See if you can redirect it to target enemies only?

Chivalriffic
2013-06-05, 01:57 PM

The secret is, really, that you can research and create such a spell, so that may be the best bet. But redirecting at random might be the best you've got... See if you can redirect it to target enemies only?

It'd be lovely to research it and create it.. if only we had the time. Unfortunately, our march on the hive is a mere one day away. Serves me right for adventuring with Clerics and a Paladin.

I'll see if I can convince my GM to flavor Baneful Deflection to be a bit more advantageous... I mean, if the powers of hell taught me a spell, you'd think they could make it at least a BIT like what I asked for.. Seeing as I gave them an innocent soul, and everything.. *ahem*

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-05, 02:15 PM

Isn't "really vengeful" kind of redundant there? After all, it is a 2nd Edition DM.

Lord Torath
2013-06-05, 02:19 PM
Isn't "really vengeful" kind of redundant there? After all, it is a 2nd Edition DM.Hey! I resnt that remark! :smallmad::smallamused:

Maybe they could give you a bit of Tarrasque Carapace?

How about Spell Turning? That can reflect spells and spell-like effects as well. Although the Anti-Magic ray will nullify it. And any other spells you might have active. Level 7. How high a level can you cast?

Edit: And, of course, while the Anti-Magic Ray is nullifying it, you're also safe from all of his other eyes. Then once the AM eye looks elsewhere, your Spell Turning will start functioning again in time to protect you from the eye stalks.

hamlet
2013-06-05, 03:38 PM
There's a spell in the compendiums somewhere called "Gaze Reflection" or some such. Don't have my books on hand, can't look until much later tonight.

Rhynn
2013-06-05, 04:15 PM
Gaze reflection is actually in the PHB; I thought it was in the Tome of Magic, but that just directed me back to the PHB. 1st-level wizard spell. Whether it works on beholders' eye-rays may be a bit... up for interpretation. The beholder's eye powers are not explicitly called gaze attacks in the Monstrous Manual - also, only 2 are called rays to begin with!

Given that the beholder's eye powers don't require it to meet anyone's gaze and aren't called gaze attacks, and that most of them aren't called rays, I actually wouldn't treat them as either... I think the idea that they're rays may be strictly 3rd edition.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure "ray" even is really a thing in 2E, is it? I mean, some spells are called "ray", but it doesn't mean "ranged touch attack" the way it does in 3rd edition.

JadedDM
2013-06-05, 04:50 PM
I can't find 'Ray Deflection' in the SRD, so I'm not entirely sure what it is supposed to do. Is it high level?

Jay R
2013-06-05, 05:09 PM
Hey all - long time lurker, first time poster. Here we go.

The question is this: What spell in AD&D is most equivalent to the 3rd editions' spell "Ray Deflection?" I'm really at a loss.

You're using a Wish. Write the spell yourself, with all relevant details, and say that this is what you're wishing for.

Isn't "really vengeful" kind of redundant there? After all, it is a 2nd Edition DM.

I've never needed to be vengeful. I just follow the rules.

Heh heh.

Alejandro
2013-06-05, 08:23 PM
Couldn't you have wished that the beholders' cave collapsed? :D

Chivalriffic
2013-06-05, 10:25 PM
Hey everyone!

Briefly, in response -

I'll definitely be writing up my own spell, and presenting it to my GM, saying it was what I wished for.

Also, my lovely lovely little wizard asked for a SMALL favor of the evil shrine, hoping that the expected payment wouldn't be too great.. Collapsing the huge magical eye hive would be quite a feat, I figure, much more than *poof*ing a bit of arcane knowledge into his brain.

And yeah. My GM is VENGEANCE INCARNATE. I already anticipate some horribly ironic, unexpected failure with the spell once I cast it for the first time - He's really got his crosshairs on poor old Melman the Sardonic. I expect a near TPK next game - Thus my attempt to minimize losses.

Thanks for the helpful ideas!

SiuiS
2013-06-06, 01:15 AM

Nah, enough of them like being honest and just give you enough rope to hang yourself with.

Hey! I resnt that remark! :smallmad::smallamused:

Maybe they could give you a bit of Tarrasque Carapace?

How about Spell Turning? That can reflect spells and spell-like effects as well. Although the Anti-Magic ray will nullify it. And any other spells you might have active. Level 7. How high a level can you cast?

Actually, that...

Edit: And, of course, while the Anti-Magic Ray is nullifying it, you're also safe from all of his other eyes. Then once the AM eye looks elsewhere, your Spell Turning will start functioning again in time to protect you from the eye stalks.

... Yeah XD

Lord Torath
2013-06-06, 10:07 AM
Although I think Spell Turning has a range of zero, meaning it only affects the caster. You may need an 8th level version that allows you to protect others.