PDA

View Full Version : Ancestral Knowledge without connection to my clan?

Jallis370
2013-06-05, 02:42 PM
I may have screwed up big time with my cleric. His story is based upon him having left his family at an early age to live in another mountain with other dwarves. Then I found out about the Ancestral Knowledge feat, and due to shortage of skill points I kinda need that feat...

Is it possible to study my clan via books and get the feat that way..?

Any better ideas?

Deaxsa
2013-06-05, 02:51 PM
i see the feat as being more of an otherworldy epiphany(like ghosts speaking into your ear) than actual learning.

also, RAW there is nothing stopping you, the only prereqs are that you are a dwarf with 15 wisdom. it doesn't even require you to take it at first level.

Jallis370
2013-06-05, 02:55 PM
My DM, my brother, is kinda strict when it comes to the esthetics... I gotta come up with a good explanation at least. I want to take it on my next level if possible.

mcbobbo
2013-06-05, 03:01 PM
My DM, my brother, is kinda strict when it comes to the esthetics... I gotta come up with a good explanation at least. I want to take it on my next level if possible.

I would probably just allow it, but if I was looking to negotiate with my players I might suggest a temporary disadvantage. For example, what if your character is starting to experience visions about his heritage, vivid dreams, etc? If you're willing to roleplay being simultaneously moved and disturbed by this, maybe your brother will then allow the feat when you level up?

TheStranger
2013-06-05, 03:03 PM
Two options:
1) It's literally in your blood. You can intuit things you shouldn't necessarily know, because your clan has known them for centuries. To me, this is the intended flavor of the feat.
2) You know the ancestral lore of the other dwarves you lived with.

cerin616
2013-06-05, 03:10 PM
Two options:
1) It's literally in your blood. You can intuit things you shouldn't necessarily know, because your clan has known them for centuries. To me, this is the intended flavor of the feat.
2) You know the ancestral lore of the other dwarves you lived with.

Similar to the fact that salmon always know how to get to and from their spawn lands, and migrating animals always know where to migrate to.

I feel that the flavor is less "I paid attention to things when i was a kid" and more

The spirits of my ancestors aid my knowledge / I have a more present lineage to my ancestors granting me their knowledge.

In addition, there is the option of the "jack of all trades" feat. you having left home so young, you had to practice a ton of things to survive. Rather than use untrained skills, just become trained in all skills.

EDIT: althoguh you dont get the wisdom bonus.