PDA

View Full Version : Factotum and Crossbows what?

Sgtpepper
2013-06-05, 04:37 PM
Alright the group I am DMing needs a skill monkey. The group consist of a Human paladin, a Human sorcerer, and a Dwarf. I was thinking of making a factotum crossbow user npc that would find and disable traps for them. My question is would a factotum using crossbows work?

Amnestic
2013-06-05, 04:40 PM
If he's just there to deal with traps or other skillmonkey stuff (searching, knowledge-ing) then his combat potential doesn't need to be anything special and a crossbow will work fine.

If you want him to be more effective, go Elf and have him pick up a real bow :smalltongue:

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-05, 04:45 PM
Alright the group I am DMing needs a skill monkey. The group consist of a Human paladin, a Human sorcerer, and a Dwarf. I was thinking of making a factotum crossbow user npc that would find and disable traps for them. My question is would a factotum using crossbows work?

Yes, easily.

Factotums make just about the best archers in the game if they spec for it and are still able to contribute in multiple other roles.

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=19176

That is a fairly crappy crossbow wielding Factotum I made for a thread on these forums a few years back. It should be good enough to get you pointed in the right direction.

Sgtpepper
2013-06-05, 04:50 PM
Thank you for the build Tippy

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-05, 04:52 PM
Thank you for the build Tippy

Welcome, I did just have it laying around and it is very bare bones.

cerin616
2013-06-05, 04:53 PM
use hunters eye, an inspiration point and some other finaglings to get yourself a bit of sneak attack dice. use maiming stike to turn those into cha damage, crit on things and watch them fall asleep.

Gildedragon
2013-06-05, 04:54 PM
At the risk of violating the essence of factotums (they are always useful) you don't need a factotum here. Giving the group a ring of trapfinding might be a bit over WBL but it really oughtn't be a problem for a rogue less party. At most make it an intelligent item with "factotum" levels. It can help find and disable traps, as well as point out bits of lore, but needs the PCs to interact with the world (yeah I -could- cast knock, but I can't see the door. I'm a ring Pelor-damnit!) allowing the PCs to feel useful about traps et al. It uses the player's physical scores and the rings ranks.

Also a Dwarf...

cerin616
2013-06-05, 05:25 PM
well, if you need a full skill monkey and want to fight ranged, then factotum is the way to go.

if you just need trapfinding, then there are a ton of options, including ranger with the trapfinding ACF

Sgtpepper
2013-06-05, 05:33 PM
I was going to build the character as if by a separate player and let them control his/her actions. Since this is how it is going to happen I wanted to make a ranged full skill monkey. Would this be a good way of going about it?

cerin616
2013-06-05, 05:43 PM
I was going to build the character as if by a separate player and let them control his/her actions. Since this is how it is going to happen I wanted to make a ranged full skill monkey. Would this be a good way of going about it?

Factotum it is. Or dabble in rogue and stuff.

also this
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88715

Bard is another good option. with bardic knack.

My favorite though, is factotum. maybe with chameleon or rogue in there.