PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a Time Warp

Ruethgar
2013-06-05, 05:28 PM
I have a character who, through crazy shenanigans, can cast time stop once per round of real time as a SLA and I was wondering what he should do for the rest of his 17 levels apart from the three fighter required for the aforementioned shenanigans? And does anyone have a suggestion for what his story could be?

Jack_Simth
2013-06-05, 05:48 PM
Full caster of some kind, specializing in Combat Control. You can't hurt opponents directly during a Time Stop... but you can warp the terrain to your advantage. The extra rounds will let you do a rather lot of that.

TheStranger
2013-06-05, 05:53 PM
I don't think this is RAW, but you might also be able to restrain an opponent using mundane rope or manacles during a time stop. Other than that, though, you're definitely looking at a caster.

As for story, that depends - what are the shenanigans? And are you implying that you can do this starting at level 3?

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-05, 06:01 PM
1. Take a lot of ranks in craft (trapmaking).
2. Take the dragonmark feats for the Mark of Making, so that you learn fabricate as a spell-like ability.
3. Use fabricate to fill the surrounding area with high-end traps each round. Use all your available time. Traps on traps on traps.
4. Teleport away, possibly casting clairvoyance or similar first so you can watch the fun.

You'll need a lot of raw materials, so some sort of caster, preferably one who can cast things like wall of stone and wall of iron, would be best.

Chronos
2013-06-05, 06:02 PM
Well, you could do a step to your left, a jump to the right, and a pelvic thrust.

TheStranger
2013-06-05, 06:07 PM
Well, you could do a step to your left, a jump to the right, and a pelvic thrust.

That drives you insane!

Ruethgar
2013-06-05, 06:46 PM
Item of choas shuffle, three items of continual magic tattoo for +3 CL. Chain re-write (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286637&page=3) of extra slot with magical training base. Lightly armored fighter homebrew variant already DM approved. Gets rid of heavy and medium armor and shield proficiency for three specialized combat feats depending on what way you want to go. Elf to re-write racials. Innate Spell with a 17th level slot open for at will 1/round SLA of time stop(technically could do persisted, but adding 2 days to one is good enough, adding 39 years in a day is a tad much). The lightly armored fighter requires you stay three levels in fighter for it to function, but I pull off the combo of feats at level one.

Let's do the time warp again! This time with haste, old haste. The 3.5 version can pretty much be mimicked by a 1st level druid spell.

Maybe I should just go commoner the rest of the way...

Arcanist
2013-06-05, 07:10 PM
That drives you insane!

LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!

elonin
2013-06-05, 07:35 PM
Tying people up during a time stop is not allowed directly per the effect. I thought that teleport didn't work during time stop the srd version is different than I remembered.

Are buff spells viable during time stop or do they fail due to not having line of effect?

Jack_Simth
2013-06-05, 07:41 PM
Are buff spells viable during time stop or do they fail due to not having line of effect?
Self-buffs are viable. Party buffs are not. You can't affect other creatures, party members included.

For the caster route, you want combat control effects - Solid Fog, Wall Spells, et cetera. With a noncaster... well, there's not much you can do in a couple rounds when you can't affect people directly.

Of course, if you are going a caster, you may consider a couple of other high-level spells as at-wills. Shades and Greater Shadow Evocation are very handy for such a build, as they replicate lots of other things (Shades: Incidiary Cloud, Summon Monster VIII, Trap the Soul, Magnificient Mansion, Acid Fog, Wall of Iron, Wall of Stone, Cloudkill, Major Creation, Black Tentacles, Solid Fog, and Phantom Steed are probably your go-to effects; Greater Shadow Evocation: Delayed Blast Fireball, Forcecage, Grasping Hand, Contingency, Chain Lightning, Freezing Sphere, and Wall of Force are probably your go-to's... Core, anyway).