PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific animal...

Devronq
2013-06-05, 05:29 PM
I was wondering if there is an animal that flies, that can be used as an animal companion and that had venom so i could cast venomfire on it. If there is multiple id prefer the one with the least amount of HD. Thank you

Captainspork
2013-06-05, 07:12 PM
Not sure about the mechanics of how it would work, but a pseudodragon comes to mind.

Urpriest
2013-06-05, 07:17 PM
Not sure about the mechanics of how it would work, but a pseudodragon comes to mind.

I feel like the OP doesn't want to go through the effort to get a Dragon companion.

Ace Nex
2013-06-06, 03:10 AM
A viper that has fly cast on it? What animals naturally have venom and are in nature irl?

Duskranger
2013-06-06, 05:10 AM
A viper that has fly cast on it? What animals naturally have venom and are in nature irl?

Insects like wasps, but vermin is not a possible AC at low levels

Darrin
2013-06-06, 05:26 AM
Sailsnake? MMIV.

Urpriest
2013-06-06, 09:06 AM
Insects like wasps, but vermin is not a possible AC at low levels

Neither is Venomfire though.

This web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a) lets you get a Giant Bee at level 1. It fits all the requirements, but dies when it stings once, so not very practical. At higher levels the Giant Wasp is more viable, and the Vermin Companion feat from Eberron Campaign Setting lets you get it at fourth level.

Sailsnake is kind of weird since it sprays venom rather than delivering it with a natural attack. I thought there was another flying snake in Serpent Kingdoms but I can't seem to find it.

Darrin
2013-06-06, 09:36 AM
Sailsnake is kind of weird since it sprays venom rather than delivering it with a natural attack. I thought there was another flying snake in Serpent Kingdoms but I can't seem to find it.

Flying Snake. Races of Faerun p. 177. Unfortunately, it's a magical beast, and small-sized, so not exactly an ideal mount. Undead version is called a Deathfang.

Starsnake. Shining South p. 69. Also a magical beast, but medium-sized. Might work as a cohort.

Hmm. If you could talk a poisonous animal into going through the Ritual of Rebirth and become a Dragonborn of Bahumat... would it retain it's Poison ability?

Duskranger
2013-06-06, 01:11 PM
Flying Snake. Races of Faerun p. 177. Unfortunately, it's a magical beast, and small-sized, so not exactly an ideal mount. Undead version is called a Deathfang.

Starsnake. Shining South p. 69. Also a magical beast, but medium-sized. Might work as a cohort.

Hmm. If you could talk a poisonous animal into going through the Ritual of Rebirth and become a Dragonborn of Bahumat... would it retain it's Poison ability?

Nope racial ability, and that's what you lose in that ritual

Ruethgar
2013-06-06, 02:15 PM
Put a wing graft on your viper. Seems a little messed up to perform surgery on your animal companion and pervert nature like that, but the only other thing I can think of that's similar requires a familiar.

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-06, 02:18 PM
This web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a) lets you get a Giant Bee at level 1. It fits all the requirements, but dies when it stings once, so not very practical.

!!

Oh my goodness I want to stat up a mounted halfling that rides a giant bee so bad.