PDA

View Full Version : Ac's Monk Fix

Acanous
2013-06-05, 06:40 PM
So, I've been trying to make Monks not suck. I've read a number of different Monk fixes, like giving them full BAB or keying all abilities to Wisdom (Making them a little less MAD).

Personally, I've found some use in just changing one line of text in Flurry of Blows.

From "As part of a full attack action" to "Whenever the Monk could make an attack, but only once during a full-attack action."

So you can flurry on a charge. You can flurry as an attack of opportunity. Flurry after you move, which lets you take advantage of the monk's increased move speed.

Combine with "Monks get full BAB" and they can keep up with almost any Fighter build, and most Barbarians.

LordErebus12
2013-06-05, 06:45 PM
Worse yet is a monk's belt. Not only does it give characters the AC bonus of a fifth level monk (+1 AC), but it also grants the Wis bonus to AC as well. You might as well not even play a monk. Go for swordsage and pick up a monk's belt.

Acanous
2013-06-05, 09:38 PM
Indeed. We all know monk sucks/needs love. The Flurry change would at least give people a reason to play one. Swordsages don't get to full attack on a charge.

Humble Master
2013-06-05, 09:51 PM
Indeed. We all know monk sucks/needs love. The Flurry change would at least give people a reason to play one. Swordsages don't get to full attack on a charge.
No but they can:
Light people on fire
Replace their saves with Concentration checks
Turn invisible and teleport between shadows
Get the Tarresque to bite itself
Get damage reduction
and a whole other slew of tricks.

My general response to the monk is 'play unarmed swordsage'.

This single change doesn't completely fix monk but it is a step in the right direction but it isn't an ace in the hole. After all you could just take a level of Lion Totem Barbarian. We really should compile a big collection of potential monk fixes.

Yitzi
2013-06-05, 10:20 PM
Worse yet is a monk's belt. Not only does it give characters the AC bonus of a fifth level monk (+1 AC), but it also grants the Wis bonus to AC as well. You might as well not even play a monk. Go for swordsage and pick up a monk's belt.

Monk's belt is fairly expensive, though.

Humble Master
2013-06-05, 10:24 PM
Monk's belt is fairly expensive, though.

Generally speaking money is not a problem for characters unless the item is a consumable.

Temotei
2013-06-05, 10:25 PM

Weeeelllll, most of the time they can't. Pouncing Charge allows it. :smalltongue:

LordErebus12
2013-06-05, 10:26 PM
Generally speaking money is not a problem for characters unless the item is a consumable.

exactly my point.

Yitzi
2013-06-06, 09:46 AM

Why not? WBL is finite, after all, and money spent on a monk's belt is money not spent on boosting your abilities/saves/attacks/AC.