PDA

View Full Version : Quick Mutants and Masterminds 3e Question

Glarx
2013-06-05, 08:25 PM
Hello there, Playgrounders,

Quick question for y'all today.

What does the Skill Mastery advantage do? Someone pointed out that the text says "Choose a skill. You can make routine checks with that skill even when under pressure (see Routine Checks in The Basics). This advantage does not allow you to make routine checks with skills that do not normally allow you to do so. You can take this advantage multiple times for different skills." Emphasis added. That line then goes into the rules on routine checks, which are:

Routine Checks;
"Under routine circumstances—when you are not under any pressure—instead of rolling the die for the check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10."

The crux here being that the Skill Mastery advantage indicates that you can't make a routine check with a skill that doesn't normally allow you to do so, and the rules on routine checks indicate that no skill can be used under pressure. So... what does Skill Mastery do? :smallconfused:

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-05, 08:34 PM
If you have played 2nd Edition or D&D 3rd Edition, routine checks are the equivalent of taking 10. You can't take 10 if stressful conditions prevent you from concentrating enough. Skill Mastery removes that requirement. However, some skills cannot be used with taking 10, even without stressful conditions. That line means you can't take Skill Mastery for those skills.

((Of course, I don't think any skills actually include any lines about not allowing routine checks in 3rd Edition, but I might be missing something.))

Glarx
2013-06-05, 09:29 PM
I couldn't find anything that indicated that there were skills which can't be used as routine checks, so I figured perhaps Skill Mastery was required for any skill to be used as a routine check, maybe? :smallconfused: