PDA

View Full Version : Problem watching movies.

Traab
2013-06-05, 08:52 PM
Ok, something odd has started happening. I go on cracked.com all the time and they constantly produce short films. Lately though, the films have refused to load for me and I cant figure out how to get them going again. I have the current adobe flash player downloaded and installed, so that isnt the problem, and I can watch the older films in their archives just fine. I use firefox if that makes a difference. Can anyone help me figure out whats going on?

*EDIT* Another odd bit, the commercials load just fine, but when the actual film is supposed to start I get that loading dot circle thing and thats it. Also, just now I watched a yahoo news film clip a weekly recap or whatever its called covering entertainment news. The video didnt play, but the sound did.

Emmerask
2013-06-05, 09:27 PM
Hm idea
1) have you some adblocker installed? I think it is possible to not let the user load if an ad was not displayed beforehand!

/edit scratch that your edit covers this part ^^

2) maybe they have changed from flash to some other video format?
Though normally you should get some notice that the video canīt be played.

3) have you tried using another browser (just to find out if its something related to the browser or a general problem)

Traab
2013-06-05, 09:37 PM
I dont think I have any adblockers installed, I still see the premovie ads for example, and currently the entire site is plastered with axe body spray ads, as for the movie viewer, thats possible, but why wouldnt I be given the chance to download the new one? When I left click on the movie window, it shows it requires the viewer I currently have. And of course, i go back to double check, find its talking about a new player, instal that and problem solved. /cry This couldnt have happened say, a week ago when all this started?

Emmerask
2013-06-05, 09:41 PM
I had a similar problem with the daily show site a few months ago, the video just would not play in Opera, I switched to Chrome for that site and everything worked fine.
A week later it worked again with opera, I think they (Opera guys) just messed up with one of their updates or somesuch.

Aedilred
2013-06-06, 07:22 AM
I have a similar, though not identical, problem - I have the Flashblock add-on, which means I have to activate Flash objects before they'll play. Normally this is a godsend and is never a problem, except with Cracked, where when I activate the object it just disappears. I've no idea why, so I've just stopped watching the videos altogether (I never watched them much). That's not all that helpful for you I know, but it seems to be a related issue.

Eldan
2013-06-06, 08:08 AM
Have you tried the Basics, i.e. cleaning your Cookies and Cache?

Traab
2013-06-06, 09:01 AM
I tried that, didnt do me any good. Ugh. I LIKE the cracked movies dammit! Its odd, last night I saw a couple, then the problem just seemed to start right back up. Totally unfair, especially since it seems like every other day a new video comes out as one of the daily updates. :(

SiuiS
2013-06-06, 09:18 AM
I expected the OP to be "I keep seeing these threads withdrew movie links but i can't get them to work" XD

Wish I could be of some service hon, but I've become one of those old people what cannot computer, in recent years.

Mx.Silver
2013-06-06, 11:32 AM
What browser are you using, out of interest? Opera has had difficulty with Cracked's videos in the past.

Erloas
2013-06-06, 12:20 PM
You hare firefox completely updated, correct?
Also Firefox has a tendency to disable ad-ins quite a bit. My mom's work computers use a java applet which they load through Firefox and it seems like every couple weeks Firefox disables Java and I have to re-enable it.

That said, I also have a lot of issues with videos playing on my home computer (I need to wipe it and reinstall everything but don't feel like it). They used to play just fine and now they won't load most of the time in Opera, Firefox, or IE, they do consistently work in Chrome though.

It is also possible that some of the videos have transitioned over to HTML5 instead of Flash, seeing as how I rarely visit Cracked, I can't say if they have or not.

Traab
2013-06-06, 02:26 PM
I use firefox as my browser, and I cant believe I never checked out the other browsers. So far the movies I couldnt see on firefox I can see through IE.