PDA

View Full Version : boss fight difficulty check.

chainer1216
2013-06-06, 03:28 AM
the party(all 6th level):
warforged warblade, he uses that big minotaur hammer, so far he's easily the most deadly person on the team.

changling cleric of the traveler/crusader/RKV. he's pretty much got anything and everything covered ability-wise, but tends to have bad luck.

silverbrow psychic warrior5/warblade1, he ends up being the second best fighter in the team, damage-wise, but the player is brand new to gaming and often simply likes to run in and hit things with his sword, without buffing or anything.

kalashtar shaper psion, she's never played with psionics before this and is very hesitant to make full use of her abilities, but she's made smart power choices.

human shugenja/(highly moded)geomancer, this guy has made some truly awful choices with this character, the worst of which is that he has nothing but buff spells on his list, and often, not very good ones.

and finally a strongheart halfing gunslinger/alchemist(with a homebrew ACF that basically lets deeds, discoveries, and bomb damage count both classes, so at 6th level, his bombs deal 3d6 damage at the cost of his mutagen and poison use).

if i have my way, they'll be lvl7 before this happens.

the boss!
azurin psychic warrior 11/warblade1

azurin: shape soulmeld mantle of flame
1st: shape soul meld lightning gauntlets
3rd: cobalt power
6th: bonus essentia
9th: open least chakra hands
12th: cobalt charge

PW1: power attack
PW2: martial study: saphire nightmare blade
PW5: martial stance: punishing stance
PW8: martial study: emeral razor
PW11: martial study: iron heart surge

maneuvers from warblade
stone vice
bone crusher
mountain hammer

stance:absolute steel stance

psychic powers
1st: force screen
1st: prevemon weapon
1st: expansion
2nd: body adjustment
2nd: psionic lions charge
2nd: strength of my enemy
3rd: empathic feedback
3rd: vampiric blade
3rd: concealing amorphea, greater
4th: truevenom weapon
4th: freedom of movement, psionic

equipment:
mostly undetermined at this point, most likely a magic breastplate, physical stat boosters and a vampiric mindfeeder greatsword made of that super adamantite stuff.

as you can see he's got a lot of buffs, i doubt he'll have time to use most of them, but G. concealing amorphia will be the first, and if he has time, empathic feedback. he'll most likely have two others with him, a warblade5/warmind5 and a seer psion10 who doesn't have the best power selection, she's mostly set up to track.

so, my party mainly has melee-types, even the psion manifests an astral construct as her main offence, and he's set up to hurt you if you hit him in melee.

so how do you fine people think this will turn out? am i just overestimating this guy? should i find some justification of separating him and his two lackeys? have them be like a miniboss before the main?

Invader
2013-06-06, 06:04 AM
You're sending a 7th level party (mostly unoptimized and inexperienced against 2 tenth level and 1 twelfth level npc?

Seems like they might be a bit over matched if you play the npcs halfway intelligently.

Chained Birds
2013-06-06, 09:32 AM
I can see this battle going poorly if the Warblade and Psion are taken out.

This would be considered around the "Run Away!" level, as you did say that two of them are inexperienced. The gunslinger may not be able to do too much against these guys, so everything is going off how well the Warblade does in the first round and if the Cleric is lucky for a change.

If they are able to take out one of the guys (Mostly the Psion, as she may have some annoying powers that can hamper the party), then they might live. Though I am not sure how well your party dynamic is.

Runestar
2013-06-07, 10:19 PM
Your npcs are quite overdesigned within the context of a single battle, in that they seem to have too many abilities, none of which complement each other particularly well.

First off, the cr. It is doable, with caveats. I am of the opinion that classed npcs are generally over-cr'ed anyways. They can be a fair fight if you give them a cr = 2/3 of their class lvs (for melee types) and equip them as appropriate for an npc of that new cr.

So for your psychic warrior/warblade, it would likely translate to a cr8-9 encounter at most, with gear appropriate for a cr8 npc. You have charge, but only 2 attacks/round (and you can't charge with maneuvers).

Likewise, warmind doesn't really add much to a warblade, save for sweeping strike, and you lose out on the higher tier maneuvers.

Simplify your npcs' strategies. For your psywarrior, prebuff with vigor, maybe one other buff (possibly expansion?), then charge into battle, relying on maneuvers like wall of blades or moment of precise mind for defense?

I would say go for it. They don't seem nearly as threatening as their cr would let on. :smalltongue:

nyjastul69
2013-06-07, 10:27 PM
Are you assuming the party will go into the battle with preparation and full resources or will some of their resources have been exhausted when they fight this battle?