PDA

View Full Version : How do you drink tea?

t209
2013-06-06, 04:59 AM
Currently, I am now in Burma and wanted to talk about tea. My favorite is Sweet tea, which is like chai but hold the spice and add more condensed milk for sweetness.
So how do you like to drink your tea? Iced, british style (hot water+ tea+ sugar and milk), or chinese style (hot water+ tea).

Castaras
2013-06-06, 05:12 AM
Milk no sugar, my dear chap. *sip* http://i.imgur.com/omz0H.gif

Elemental
2013-06-06, 05:16 AM
Milk, no tea, no sugar, no water.

The Succubus
2013-06-06, 05:23 AM
There is a tea for every occasion and every occasion for tea.

Late at night after a stressy day at work, I usually go for an oversized mug of tea. Two tea bags, for a very strong flavour, stirred, then left for 3 minutes. Water must be boiling hot, as lukewarm tea is gross. :smallyuk: A small amount of milk is then added, along with two level teaspoons of sugar.

If I'm feeling a little more refined, I will go for a normal size mug and use a single bag of Assam tea, no milk and a single teaspoon of sugar.

If I'm feeling unwell, tea is actually one of my remedies. I use green tea, add a small amount of lemon and about a tablespoon of honey. Stir vigorously and drink very hot. Does wonders for a cold.

Jordan Cat
2013-06-06, 05:25 AM
Sweet Tea :) Ice cold. Lot's of sugar. It brings out the flavor to me.

TSGames
2013-06-06, 05:26 AM

Spoken like a true British gent. ;)

I completely agree.

I take my tea with honey and I drink as hot as I can manage. I also drink it when sick as I believe it's curative properties are often underestimated.

Eldan
2013-06-06, 06:26 AM
Two versions: black, no sugar, no milk, no anything and as dark as coffee is the first. Second is spiced with lots of milk I add a bit more pepper than most to the spice mixture. Both are delicious, but for different reasons.

noparlpf
2013-06-06, 06:27 AM
I don't often, but when I do...
So I heat about a liter of water to boiling, add four bags of black tea, boil the crap out of them for around ten minutes, turn off the heat, and let it steep for another ten minutes or so. Then I squeeze the liquid out of the tea bags and drink the tea plain.

BWR
2013-06-06, 06:41 AM
Hot water + tea (or other plants).

The only exception I make is tea+honey for sore throat, or with vodka for a cough (seriously, alcohol is the best cough suppressant I've found).

Feytalist
2013-06-06, 06:51 AM
Only tea I drink is rooibos. No milk, dollop of honey. And a slice of lemon, if I'm feeling fancy.

My mother infuses her tea with chopped lemongrass leaves. Tastes surprisingly pleasant.

valadil
2013-06-06, 08:12 AM
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Cikomyr
2013-06-06, 08:14 AM
With a cup..

Teddy
2013-06-06, 08:16 AM
My usual cup of tea is 4.5 dl of hot water and an infuser filled to the brim with English Breakfast. Let steep for a quarter or so (half a decilitre of water should have steamed away or gotten trapped in the leaves by then), then fill the cup to the brim with a decilitre of milk on top.

Eldan
2013-06-06, 08:18 AM
Well, if we count fancy tees, I also have some white tea and bamboo leaves standing around somewhere.

factotum
2013-06-06, 08:51 AM

...unless you absolutely can't stand the stuff.

Mx.Silver
2013-06-06, 08:56 AM
Hot. Milk where appropriate (e.g. English Breakfast, Early Grey etc.), sans milk where not (e.g. Green Teas). Never sugar.

Only tea I drink is rooibos.

If it doesn't actually contain tea then it's not really tea.

You bring shame upon our nation, sir :smalltongue:

SiuiS
2013-06-06, 09:24 AM
With my mouth, predominantly. u.u

Milk, no tea, no sugar, no water.

This. With a spot of coffee if I'm feeling dangerous~

Two versions: black, no sugar, no milk, no anything and as dark as coffee is the first. Second is spiced with lots of milk I add a bit more pepper than most to the spice mixture. Both are delicious, but for different reasons.

... Pepper? Essplain!

In which case, the best tea for you, is the tea in someone else's cup :smallsmile:

Castaras
2013-06-06, 09:26 AM
Ah, we're wanting types of tea?

Yerksheere tay, aye, witha splash o milk.

The Succubus
2013-06-06, 09:43 AM
I'm something of a snob - I generally go for Twinnings English Breakfast for my standard tea.

Ebon_Drake
2013-06-06, 09:44 AM
Earl Grey or Darjeeling are my preference, with milk and one sugar. I'm also partial to having it black with sugar and lemon.

I picked up a fondness for mint tea with vast amounts of sugar when I was in Morocco. Once you get past the fact it tastes like chewing gum, it's actually really refreshing!

Morph Bark
2013-06-06, 09:47 AM
With a biscuit. Except we don't call it a biscuit.

Eldan
2013-06-06, 10:07 AM
... Pepper? Essplain!

My sort of homemade Explanation of Masala Chai, with whatever I have in my kitchen. Black tea, milk, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, pepper. If I can get it, star Anise and/or ground cloves. I sometimes put a bit of red pepper in for a bit of fire, though that's atypical.

Ebon_Drake
2013-06-06, 10:08 AM
Biscuits! That's a crucial aspect I hadn't even considered.

Chocolate hobnobs FTW. The only drawback is the gunk they leave at the bottom of the cup, but that's a small price for tea-soaked biscuity goodness.

Eldan
2013-06-06, 10:09 AM
Hot candied ginger. Since I was in Asia, I can't live without it.

Volthawk
2013-06-06, 10:12 AM
Teabag, hot water, milk and a little sugar.

Mx.Silver
2013-06-06, 11:27 AM
Biscuits! That's a crucial aspect I hadn't even considered.

Chocolate hobnobs FTW. The only drawback is the gunk they leave at the bottom of the cup, but that's a small price for tea-soaked biscuity goodness.

I'm not really a fan of the chocolate varieties of biscuit for accompaniment. Of course finding non-chocolate varieties strong enough to not disintegrate upon being dunked can be a challenge (Rich Tea biscuits are so named due to making your tea rich with their liquidised remains).
Shortbreads are also less than ideal, on account of the film of buttery residue they tend to leave behind.

Drakeburn
2013-06-06, 11:37 AM
For me, I drink my tea Chinese style. Or, until it is warm enough for me to drink.

I only drink tea whenever I'm sick (down with a cold, or indigestion issues)

Kneenibble
2013-06-06, 11:58 AM
I'll tell you how I like to drink my tea:
Before I even make the water hot,
I fling my clothes into some soggy spot
And let the air caress my nudity
(It's not perverse: I just like to be free).
Darjeeling or Assam go in the pot --
I find these friends are best for naked thought --
And steep a few short minutes: maybe three.
I bring a book, my slippers, and a tasse
(But mind you, not a single other stitch!)
And settle on a Louis Quinze chaise longue.
The hours, sip by sip, so gently pass;
The silken velvet cushions never itch.
It feels so right: how could it, then, be wrong?

razark
2013-06-06, 12:11 PM
I make my tea by first filtering the hot water through coffee grounds, then pouring it into a mug with a carefully measured amount of no leaves, and add an equal amount of milk and sugar as leaves.

Occasionally I'll make a cup of lapsang souchong, but the weather is getting too hot for that. For a sore throat, hot tea (generic tea bag) with lemon juice and as much honey as I can get away with.

Pie Guy
2013-06-06, 01:27 PM
Tea bag plebeians :smalltongue:

Anyway, I usually have looseleaf (most frequently made with this little leaf strainer put right into the mug and a Japanese perpetual water heater) with splenda. I would use sugar, but I can't taste the difference and I'd rather eat my calories. No milk.

RabbitHoleLost
2013-06-06, 01:38 PM
I'm fairly undignified
Like a typical southern girl, I like iced sweet tea.
But I also lived the first half of my life in MA, so I like hot, strong Irish Breakfast blend tea with lots of sugar.
But I let that my tea infuser sit in that water and brew far longer than most people do. I LIKE IT STRONG I CAN'T LIE.

memnarch
2013-06-06, 01:39 PM
Loose-leaf or teabags, warm/hot, nothing ever added except sugar/honey for very bitter tea. Never understood why milk would be added to tea. :smallconfused:

dehro
2013-06-06, 01:48 PM
either tea+ water or tea + cookies..which is actually more like a cup of really wet and hot cookies that go to mush in your mouth.

noparlpf
2013-06-06, 01:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that's not even my worst offense against tea. I do have some loose tea leaves, but I don't currently have one of those net-ball-thingies.

But I let that my tea infuser sit in that water and brew far longer than most people do. I LIKE IT STRONG I CAN'T LIE.

One time I left plain black tea steeping overnight. In the morning I just drank it anyway.

Anarion
2013-06-06, 02:00 PM
I'm a variety is the spice of life sort of person. I was quite the fan of bottled milk tea as a casual drink of choice all across most of Asia. Cheap, full of sugar and milk (sometimes tea, too), delicious.

On the other hand, I like fine green tea brewed using actual leaves with a proper pot and tea strainer.

For black tea, either English breakfast with a bit of milk and sugar or earl grey only sugar. Once in a while, mix in flavored teas, particularly vanilla or orange.

thubby
2013-06-06, 02:09 PM
im not much of a fan of true teas. green is my choice on the rare occasion i drink it.

i do like herbal teas, though. and as a rule you dont put stuff in herbal tea.

Taet
2013-06-06, 02:17 PM
My everyday tea is a bag of breakfast tea, in a small mug with one sugar cube. If I use loose sugar it is too hard to control the amount of sugar even with a tea spoon. For fancy tea bags like the Chinese restaurant tea, I use a travel mug twice the size of the small mug. Chinese restaurant tea takes a pinch of sugar. Flavored black tea takes one heaped tea spoon of sugar. But I have to stir with a full size spoon because the tea spoon is too short for the travel mug. I only drink tea with milk if I am feeling sick and need to drink hot liquids but cannot drink any more cocoa.

Traab
2013-06-06, 02:19 PM
Lipton/tazo awake/irish breakfast tea. All with milk and sugar and plenty of each. When I make lipton, I make it 5 cups at a time, plop it all in a thermos so it stays hot for hours and drink that all day.

TaiLiu
2013-06-06, 04:02 PM
Just tea leaves plus water, usually. No sugar, or milk, or explosives.

I have consumed Hong Kong-style milk tea, though.

Remmirath
2013-06-06, 04:56 PM
Black, without milk or sugar or anything else. Same way as I prefer my coffee, and I drink it about as often.

I do enjoy iced tea frequently, particularly in the summer, but definitely unsweetened. I've a strong dislike of it when sweetened.

The only exception I make to this rule of not adding anything to my tea is chai, and I will occasionally have chai lattes, mostly if I know that all other hot beverages would be far too hot -- it seems to be less hot on the average than plain tea or coffee, and either my mouth burns more easily than most people or most people enjoy burning their mouths when they drink tea and coffee.

Dice_for_Death_
2013-06-06, 08:47 PM
Generally, I have Earl Grey without sugar or milk. Hot, and typically alongside a light meal - a sandwich or a small, hot morsel. I find it a relaxing tea to drink. :smallcool:

Pie Guy
2013-06-07, 01:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not even my worst offense against tea. I do have some loose tea leaves, but I don't currently have one of those net-ball-thingies.

http://www.amazon.com/Finum-63-421-50-00-Brewing-Basket/dp/B000I68NCS/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1370587843&sr=8-12&keywords=tea+strainer

Sits right in the mug, easy, I highly endorse it.

Coidzor
2013-06-07, 02:03 AM
Obligatory song link is obligatory. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA)

With my mouth, predominantly. u.u

What's sad about that? :smallconfused:

Yerksheere tay, aye, witha splash o milk.

Yeerks must be hard to come by, since the series concluded so many years ago. :smallamused:

I don't know how to applaud this so I'm just going to crown you with braided tea flowers.

TaiLiu
2013-06-07, 02:06 AM
What's sad about that? :smallconfused:
Those are just closed eyes, I think.

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-07, 02:07 AM
Green tea, no milk, hot water, no sugar, but maybe a teaspoon of honey.

Akrim.elf
2013-06-07, 02:10 AM
i love herbal tea, fruit tea, sometime green...
anything in paper sack :)

i give little honey in fruit tea, herbal tea without any sweet, maybe with some spice

and big half liter cup with lots of hot water
i dont understand, why someone drink hot water with milk...

Coidzor
2013-06-07, 02:17 AM
I have to admit, I'm feeling a little bit self conscious that I like chai tea, sweet tea, earl grey, lady grey, red tea, ginger-X tea, white tea, black tea, green tea...

Tea straight, tea with milk, tea with milk and sugar...

Heck, I've even had black tea with fruit preserves/jam instead of cream or sugar, which I was led to believe was the Russian manner of taking tea. Wasn't half bad, though I don't think I quite got the right ratio down.

Mostly depends on the mood I'm in and how much work I need to do. If I'm in a rush, I brew it for middling strength rather than strong and drink it straight with no cream or sugar or lemon. Oh, and if I'm sick, that changes up things too.

If I'm sick I take it as hot as my body can handle with a shot of hard, dark liquor, preferably bourbon of some sort or spiced rum, about half a shot of lemon juice, and occasionally a dash of vanilla. Brewed strong, of course, and then the equivalent of 3 normal-sized mugs are chugged, or at least, as close to chugged as possible given the temperature. Though that reminds me, I should ask my parents about the spices in their version.

If nothing else it helps put me to sleep. :smallamused:

Those are just closed eyes, I think.

Hruh...

lady_arrogance
2013-06-07, 07:03 AM
I drink lots of tea, so I have some preferences.

Loose-leaf is must (herbal tea from teabags are fine), and no sugar or milk. Except on Chai Latte, there both sugar and milk are required. And I like strong tea, so there is such as "too long infusion time".

SaintRidley
2013-06-07, 07:32 AM
Does coffee count? It's like tea, but with beans instead of leaves. If not, I don't do tea. If it does, then I drink my coff(t)ee black.

And Valadil is Captain Picard.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-06-07, 07:50 AM

This one could be titled - "Nudi-tea"

Eloquent. :smallsmile: I love it.

dehro
2013-06-07, 08:20 AM
Obligatory song link is obligatory. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA)

I had to stop myself from posting it, because I wanted to see how long it would take for somebody to bring it up

well done, sir.

Mikhailangelo
2013-06-07, 08:30 AM

Anyway, I usually have looseleaf (most frequently made with this little leaf strainer put right into the mug and a Japanese perpetual water heater) with splenda. I would use sugar, but I can't taste the difference and I'd rather eat my calories. No milk.

Artificial sweetener plebian.

comicshorse
2013-06-07, 02:42 PM
A cup of Yorkshire Gold, Milk, two sugars if you're putting the kettle on

t209
2013-06-07, 09:14 PM
No Love for Indian Milk tea?:smallfrown:

Turgon9357
2013-06-07, 09:20 PM
I got to sample some Kenyan black tea once. Quite potent and earthy.

Anarion
2013-06-08, 01:23 AM
No Love for Indian Milk tea?:smallfrown:

I got to sample some Kenyan black tea once. Quite potent and earthy.

Both excellent for mixing things up. Though the Indian one requires a great deal of sugar. No, whatever you're thinking, more than that.

Salbazier
2013-06-08, 04:38 AM
Earl Grey or Jasmine is my favorite.

I like it both hot and cooled with ice. Always use lots of sugar. No milk, ever. :smallyuk:

Form
2013-06-08, 06:05 AM
Anything but rosehip and mint. I have no problem with cold and old tea and find that certain tea flavours lend them themselves better to sweetening by sugar than others (like caramel, cinnamon, chai). Sometimes I add milk, sometimes I don't. My preferences tend to vary over time.

I also like to sniff the tea bags before using them because I often enjoy their scent.

SiuiS
2013-06-08, 06:24 AM

One time I left plain black tea steeping overnight. In the morning I just drank it anyway.

There's a maximum amount of the stuff that will actually come out into the water. So long as you aren't munching tea leaves straight, you're below maximum tea capacity.

Oh! I actually like this one tea that comes in a mason jar. It was lemon and honey and the most delicious, sumptuous nectar. I toss at night in sorrow to know i have misplaced the brand. Before their simple nymphs poured this ambrosia into me, I had no taste for the weak, fetid stuff passed off as a Coffee Substitute by those silly English. :smallwink:

Bulldog Psion
2013-06-08, 03:44 PM
Black with sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice straight out of a freshly cut lemon.

enderlord99
2013-06-08, 04:52 PM
With my mouth, predominantly.

Same here.

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-08, 06:53 PM
Very rarely, and saturated with sugar.

Bulldog Psion
2013-06-08, 11:31 PM
Same here.

I prefer to put my roots into it and soak it up gradually.

...what?

ForzaFiori
2013-06-08, 11:49 PM
I drink sweet iced tea, like any proper southerner :P

Pie Guy
2013-06-09, 12:26 AM
Artificial sweetener plebian.

Ah, but fewer people use artificial sweetener instead of sugar, therefore you are truly the plebeian. (Wait, does that make me a hipster...?

Crap.)

Ravens_cry
2013-06-09, 01:10 AM
Well, before I say how I drink it, I must tell you how I make it.
First, boil the water, and keep it boiling. Pour some of the water into a tea pot, preferably of glazed ceramic, and swirl it around for about thirty seconds.
Set it aside while you get the tea. I generally use bags, because, eh, it's more convenient. Pour out the water in the pot, add the bags, and then add the still boiling water. Afterwords, top with a cosy and let it steep for, eh, however strong you want it. I like it strong, so I steep it for ten minutes, or even longer.
Now for how I drink it. Generally in a big soup mug with about 1/4 to 3/4 of centimetre of milk in the bottom, and hot enough to make you sweat, which is excellent in the summer time.

Serpentine
2013-06-09, 01:12 AM
I don't :I Tastes like coloured off-flavoured water to me. Though I like the smell. Don't like coffee, either.
I do drink chai lattes, but I'm not sure that counts as tea - I mean, let's be honest, I'm drinking it for the spices, not the tea leaves, which I don't think I can even taste.

Hot chocolate and Milo is where it's at.

SiuiS
2013-06-09, 01:18 AM
Same here.

Ooh, neat~!
I have to ask; what's your alternate method for when mouth shan't suffice?

I prefer to put my roots into it and soak it up gradually.

...what?

"I dated a lady once, one of the Faire Maides – dryads who freed themselves for some reason by ritually cutting down their own tree. She had the most delicious scars from her navel, all the way around her back... Anyway, we were at an inn one time, between stops, which advertised Sweet River Water, drawn from a nearby stream. I liked it well enough, but she was given a glass and fell into a sulk. I asked what was wrong, and all she said was "I don't suppose I could just take off these boots and dip my toes in it?"

"Pretty odd at the time, I thought. I was a callous, insensitive youth..."

I don't :I Tastes like coloured off-flavoured water to me. Though I like the smell. Don't like coffee, either.
I do drink chai lattes, but I'm not sure that counts as tea - I mean, let's be honest, I'm drinking it for the spices, not the tea leaves, which I don't think I can even taste.

Yeah. Tea can be good, but I don't find it so by default. And coffee is just a method of flavoring my sugary milk.

Ravens_cry
2013-06-09, 01:19 AM

Hot leaf juice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPnZhKRtZ_U), eh?:smalltongue:

Serpentine
2013-06-09, 01:34 AM
Pretty much, yep. Though I love Cup Of Brown Joy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA), go figure.

Now, I would like to like tea and coffee. I love the culture that surrounds it, and all the varieties and all of that. But I just don't.
Sometimes I feel like I must be one of the least caffeinated people in the world...

Starwulf
2013-06-09, 02:39 AM
Just hot water + tea bag is my personal favorite, though sometimes I do like to add a drop of honey. I prefer regular Green tea, or Green tea sweetened with lemon(the actual pack, not actually adding lemon flavor). I don't like very much Iced tea, as a matter of fact, the only Iced tea that I've ever enjoyed is the kind my best friends parents make. Don't know what the heck they do that is so different, but it actually tastes pretty good. Hmmm......maybe I should go ask them ^^

I picked up my love for hot tea from my mom when I was younger. She would always drink a cup every day, and I'd always steal a sip, until I started getting older and then I'd ask her to make me a cup as well.

dehro
2013-06-09, 06:48 AM
On a sidenote, I don't drink coffee and inviting a girl out for tea always make me feel like a bit of a berk.
of course I could invite them for coffee and then order tea..but..that'd be ..wrong :smalleek:

Elemental
2013-06-09, 07:57 AM
Hot chocolate and Milo is where it's at.

I cannot agree more whole-heartedly. Which is an unusual statement for a person to make, but we won't bog the thread down with that. I mean... Just earlier today as I was eating my buttered scones I had large cup of warm, not hot, Milo and it was excellent. Except for the over abundance of pumpkin seeds in my scones. I knew I should have purchased a different variety.

On a sidenote, I don't drink coffee and inviting a girl out for tea always make me feel like a bit of a berk.
of course I could invite them for coffee and then order tea..but..that'd be ..wrong :smalleek:

It seems to me that your difficulties could be removed by inviting them out to sit in a comfortable café for a while and watch the world go by. That is what one does when they go out for "coffee", right?

SiuiS
2013-06-09, 08:12 AM
Pretty much, yep. Though I love Cup Of Brown Joy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA), go figure.

Now, I would like to like tea and coffee. I love the culture that surrounds it, and all the varieties and all of that. But I just don't.
Sometimes I feel like I must be one of the least caffeinated people in the world...

Coffee is delicious when you consider it the other way to make chocolate milk.

Invite her to a Starbucks! If you go somewhere that isn't Starbucks ecauae you don't like them, you're directly spiting them by diluting their brand identity. Win win!

Shadow of the Sun
2013-06-09, 08:24 AM
I don't drink tea or coffee that much. Like, maybe twice a year. Probably because I'm hypersensitive to caffeine. Gives me panic attacks.

However, when I do decide to drink tea I'm pretty simple. Hot water, leaves of any colour, nothing else.

neoseph7
2013-06-09, 09:01 AM
Black or Red teas infused with sweet flavors, like blueberry, vanilla, coconut, etc. With a large squirt of honey (or Stevia extract while I'm dieting). Never been able to appreciate milk or lemon.

My iced tea needs to be super sweet. My favorite is Thai iced tea with coconut milk ftw.

Serpentine
2013-06-09, 09:02 AM
Coffee is delicious when you consider it the other way to make chocolate milk.Except for the bit where it tastes exactly nothing like chocolate milk, you mean? :smallconfused:

Coidzor
2013-06-09, 11:25 AM
My iced tea needs to be super sweet. My favorite is Thai iced tea with coconut milk ftw.

If the iced tea isn't sweet and it's not been made for someone who is either diabetic or in the middle of last ditch efforts to avoid diabetes, something is definitely wrong.

That reminds me though, I really need to learn how to make Thai Iced Tea....

Coffee is delicious when you consider it the other way to make chocolate milk.

Except for the bit where it tastes exactly nothing like chocolate milk, you mean? :smallconfused:

I too must express some level of bewilderment.

I mean, I guess I could see a theobromine angle, since both coffee and chocolate contain something along those lines...

Tiki Snakes
2013-06-09, 11:42 AM
Except for the bit where it tastes exactly nothing like chocolate milk, you mean? :smallconfused:

Actually, some of the nicer coffees really aren't a million miles away in taste from hot chocolate, sometimes. The concept of Mocha blurs that further, of course.

Julie Andrews

This.
Preferably a vaguely strong brand. Yorkshire perhaps. Also have a soft spot for Marks and Spencer's Gold type, because it's what my grandparents always used to swear by.

I will confess that I can't help but scowl in vague disapproval at people who have their British style milky tea with a sugar in it, and complete bafflement at the crazies who insist on two or more.

And the idea of drinking it without milk? I mean, you could, but it always seems strongly like slumming it. Use soya milk if you have to.

Green/White/similar teas are nice on occasion, no sugar or milk or anything else infact, by preference. I'm sure it's nice with Lemon and stuff, but that soon becomes a hot lemon drink with a tea-like after taste.

Starwulf
2013-06-09, 05:41 PM
Actually, some of the nicer coffees really aren't a million miles away in taste from hot chocolate, sometimes. The concept of Mocha blurs that further, of course.

This.
Preferably a vaguely strong brand. Yorkshire perhaps. Also have a soft spot for Marks and Spencer's Gold type, because it's what my grandparents always used to swear by.

I will confess that I can't help but scowl in vague disapproval at people who have their British style milky tea with a sugar in it, and complete bafflement at the crazies who insist on two or more.

And the idea of drinking it without milk? I mean, you could, but it always seems strongly like slumming it. Use soya milk if you have to.

Green/White/similar teas are nice on occasion, no sugar or milk or anything else infact, by preference. I'm sure it's nice with Lemon and stuff, but that soon becomes a hot lemon drink with a tea-like after taste.

I've never had any hot tea with milk in it in my entire life. My mom always just dropped a tea bag in, let it steep for however long, pull it out, stir it around and drink it, which is pretty much how I do it. As far as lemon goes, I guess it depends on if you're talking about actually adding lemon flavor in it, or if it's green tea with a slight lemon flavor already added in the bags. I buy it with lemon flavor already added, and believe me, it's all tea, with just a slight lemony taste to it.

Anarion
2013-06-09, 06:21 PM
Invite her to a Starbucks! If you go somewhere that isn't Starbucks ecauae you don't like them, you're directly spiting them by diluting their brand identity. Win win!

There's a chance, a small one mind you, that you're overthinking this.

I think the implication is that you take a large glass of milk, add sugar, and then use a tiny bit of coffee to make it that dark brown chocolate milk color.

noparlpf
2013-06-09, 06:24 PM
I think the implication is that you take a large glass of milk, add sugar, and then use a tiny bit of coffee to make it that dark brown chocolate milk color.

Mud is kind of the same color as chocolate. Milk with mud in it still isn't chocolate milk.
(In my opinion coffee is slightly less palatable than many varieties of mud anyway, but that's not the point.)

Castaras
2013-06-09, 07:30 PM
RE: Milk in tea.

It entirely depends on the type of tea. For instance: Earl Grey is a tea that you take without milk, Yorkshire is a tea that you take with milk. Both made for different levels of milk.

Ulysses WkAmil
2013-06-10, 12:07 AM
Earl Grey straight. I can't stand milk or sugar. My southern roots suggest otherwise.

Coidzor
2013-06-10, 02:20 AM
RE: Milk in tea.

It entirely depends on the type of tea. For instance: Earl Grey is a tea that you take without milk, Yorkshire is a tea that you take with milk. Both made for different levels of milk.

That explains why it always tasted nasty no matter how little milk I added when I was a child, I suppose.

t209
2013-06-11, 04:01 AM
Anybody eat Fermented Tea leaves, people in Burma eat it but I don't like it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahpet

The Succubus
2013-06-11, 05:02 AM
Ooh, neat~!
I have to ask; what's your alternate method for when mouth shan't suffice?

Hook it directly to my veins. Sure, I might not get to savor the taste but my bloodstream will appreciate the caffeine and it'll freak out any vampires that bite me.

atomicpenguin
2013-06-12, 09:12 AM
I drink a lot of tea. But my favorites are Sencha (plain) and Earl Gray (just a spot of honey)

noparlpf
2013-06-12, 09:27 AM
One time I tried to "drink" tea by just sucking on tea leaves for a while.

Mnemophage
2013-06-14, 12:37 AM
Black, supremely concentrated, and also it's espresso. In a coffee mug.

*twitch*

Ravens_cry
2013-06-14, 01:08 AM
Black, supremely concentrated, and also it's espresso. In a coffee mug.

*twitch*
Bah, coffee is nothing more than burnt bean juice!
:smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2013-06-14, 05:52 AM
Hot, with some sugar and drops of lemon juice in it.

MonkeyBusiness
2013-06-14, 06:53 AM

It is not wrong, unless you spill your tea upon your lap.
Then you will quickly find what's wrong, dear chap. :small wink:

I'm fairly undignified
Like a typical southern girl, I like iced sweet tea.
But I also lived the first half of my life in MA, so I like hot, strong Irish Breakfast blend tea with lots of sugar.

I think sweet iced tea can be delicious, and even dignified when served in a lovely glass with a sprig of mint, then sipped while strolling at twilight under oak trees glimmering with fireflies, leaning on the arm of your current favorite beau. (That's my recipe, at any rate.)

And I too have noticed that some Bostonians brew their tea until it has more tannins in it than a peat swamp. I suspect our Puritan heritage as a hand in this. My friends from Moscow also brew the helloutta their tea, but then dilute it and stir in jam.

As for myself ... This morning I am drinking "Golden Monkey", brewed in a Brown Betty teapot. No sugar, no milk, but a small slice of walnut cake on the side and a nectarine.

- Monkey

Recaiden
2013-06-14, 11:29 AM
Hot, with mint and maybe honey, in a cup with no handle.