PDA

View Full Version : 0 CHA Can i hear ??

TorroRosso77
2013-06-06, 07:08 AM
Hey guys . I have a 10 lvl human druid and i want to ask something . I got mummy rot .So my charisma dropped to 0 . I want to know if I can listen what my comrades say , in the subconscious .

Τhank you

mattie_p
2013-06-06, 07:26 AM
Technically not, but I don't think it matters much.

Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma-like stupor, helpless.

stu·por, noun
1: a condition of greatly dulled or completely suspended sense or sensibility

If all senses are completely suspended, you aren't hearing anything. But its not like you need to leave the table or something.

Regitnui
2013-06-06, 08:24 AM
You've basically been reduced to a spectator. You're basically completely caught in your own world. If you were a psionic character and your DM was feeling nasty, you could randomly manifest powers as you try and influence your dreamworld, but that's about it.

cerin616
2013-06-06, 09:36 AM
I mean, your ears still pick up vibrations and sends electrical signals to your brain, but your brain can't do anything with them.

Medic!
2013-06-06, 09:40 AM
In a situation like this, if you wanted to try to keep playing a comatose character there could be an allowance made for wisdom-based perception of sensations or sounds in the immediate area and maybe some concentration checks to try to manifest signs of understanding. There's no reason for mechanics to squash a player's desire to RP, even if he's RPing a coma.

Calemyr
2013-06-06, 09:48 AM
The way I've always understood it, the basic foundation of Charisma is "sense of self". Having a charisma score means recognizing that you are... well... you. The higher that score, the more defined that recognition is. With that recognition comes a certain degree of force of personality, and with that force of personality comes a sort of attractiveness that transcends physical appearance.

At 0 charisma, you don't recognize any difference between yourself and your surroundings. You are not aware you even exist, or ever did. You are still able to use your senses and think, but your thoughts in a state of mind truly devoid of self would not remotely resemble your normal thoughts.

Medic!
2013-06-06, 09:51 AM
The way I've always understood it, the basic foundation of Charisma is "sense of self". Having a charisma score means recognizing that you are... well... you. The higher that score, the more defined that recognition is.

At 0 charisma, you don't recognize any difference between yourself and your surroundings. You are not aware you even exist, or ever did. You are still able to use your senses and think, but your thoughts in a state of mind truly devoid of self would not remotely resemble your normal thoughts.

I like that...congratulations Druid, you have achieved enlightenment and one-ness with nature. :smallbiggrin: Now I don't feel so bad about the druid who got mummy rot in a campaign we played here at home. We wouldn't let the poor guy inside, found a pile of dust and sand on the porch in the morning...RIP

cerin616
2013-06-06, 09:58 AM
The way I've always understood it, the basic foundation of Charisma is "sense of self". Having a charisma score means recognizing that you are... well... you. The higher that score, the more defined that recognition is. With that recognition comes a certain degree of force of personality, and with that force of personality comes a sort of attractiveness that transcends physical appearance.

While technically not how the rules work, if the player in question said this to me and i was the dm, damn straight he could listen to stuff.

JusticeZero
2013-06-06, 10:26 AM
Sure you can listen to stuff, but you can't know who was talking, everything is things you were saying to yourself at best, and you are going to have so much noise that it would be useless.

Xervous
2013-06-06, 10:32 AM
The best example of this that I can come up with is Pointland from Edwin Abbott's Flatland. The sole resident of Pointland is not aware of anything other than himself, he cannot comprehend anything other than himself, so he cannot be adversely influenced by external stimuli simply because he automatically assumes that he produced such an event.

Ashtagon
2013-06-06, 10:43 AM
The best example of this that I can come up with is Pointland from Edwin Abbott's Flatland. The sole resident of Pointland is not aware of anything other than himself, he cannot comprehend anything other than himself, so he cannot be adversely influenced by external stimuli simply because he automatically assumes that he produced such an event.

I'd say the King of Pointland was an example of a zero Wisdom character. He can't perceive anything other than himself. That's different from zero Charisma, which is more about can't express anything.

I'd be happy for a zero Charisma character to carry on being perceptive, except wrt vision, since he would still be curled up on a ball with his eyes unfocused if open at all.

JusticeZero
2013-06-06, 10:49 AM
I'd say the King of Pointland was an example of a zero Wisdom character. He can't perceive anything other than himself. That's different from zero Charisma, which is more about can't express anything.We're just picking out characters who meet the description listed in the rules for the symptoms of a 0 Charisma, which is that the character can no longer distinguish between themselves and the world around them and is effectively unconscious. Zero Wisdom is different.

Ashtagon
2013-06-06, 10:57 AM
We're just picking out characters who meet the description listed in the rules for the symptoms of a 0 Charisma, which is that the character can no longer distinguish between themselves and the world around them and is effectively unconscious. Zero Wisdom is different.

Intelligence 0 means that the character cannot think and is unconscious in a coma*like stupor, helpless.
Wisdom 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a deep sleep filled with nightmares, helpless.
Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma*like stupor, helpless.

I would have thought that that is exactly what zero Wisdom is :smallconfused:

In strict SRD terms, either way the character is unconscious and that's that. If you as GM take the view that this means you are as perceptive as a sleeping character, you can't see, and Listen checks are at -10 (and don't wake you up in this specific case, but you do perceive them).

Calemyr
2013-06-06, 11:18 AM
We're just picking out characters who meet the description listed in the rules for the symptoms of a 0 Charisma, which is that the character can no longer distinguish between themselves and the world around them and is effectively unconscious. Zero Wisdom is different.

Exactly. All three mental scores reflect different aspects of the mind.

Wisdom: Connection to the world around you. This includes senses, situational awareness ("common sense"), and sanity. Zero wisdom means you are cut off from the world around you, trapped in your own skull with no way out.

Intelligence: Your ability to reason. This includes your ability to derive new knowledge from established facts, link related concepts, and your capacity for invention. Zero intelligence means you are completely devoid of active thought - if you act at all, it is purely based on outside instruction, and all thoughts in your mind are placed there by outside influence.

Charisma: As I said, this is your sense of self. This is the foundation of personality, and everything that derives from that personality. Zero Charisma is a completely lack of sense of self, even of the concept. You can be fully in charge of wisdom and intelligence in this state, but charisma is the lens that brings those things into focus. Your senses are fine (though directed senses such as vision are near worthless without a self to direct them), and your reasoning is unhampered, but the lack of self removes any sense of meaning to the thoughts and senses.

Comparing the mental stats to a computer, Intelligence would be the CPU (doing the actual math and computation), Wisdom would be input devices and operating system, and Charisma would be the user. The computer needs all three parts to function, but if one is missing it fails to function in different ways.

hymer
2013-06-06, 11:36 AM
PHB 3.5 p. 304: "A character with Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma 0 is unconscious." Under 'ability damage'.