PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy Melee Strength Damage

alsterb
2013-06-06, 07:56 AM
I can't seem to find anything about this in the books, so I thought I'd see how the rest of you handle this. Do you handle the strength bonus (to damage) differently if the weapon is one-handed verses two-handed? Full strength bonus to damage for a two handed weapon, half strength bonus to damage for a one hander??

If this is in the rules somewhere, would someone be kind enough to post the source book and page?

Thanks!!!

TimeWizard
2013-06-06, 08:01 AM
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

king.com
2013-06-06, 08:09 AM
Melee weapon damage is simply adding your strength bonus as damage unless the weapon specifically says otherwise.

alsterb
2013-06-06, 08:30 AM
Melee weapon damage is simply adding your strength bonus as damage unless the weapon specifically says otherwise.

Yes, I agree. But, do you (as a GM) make any house rules concerning full damage verses half damage when weilding a chain axe (with two hands) verses a dagger (with one hand). Full strength damage bonus with a one-handed weapon seems over powered if you dual weild in melee, but maybe that's the benefit.

shadow_archmagi
2013-06-06, 09:08 AM
Nope. It's fine as it is. Dual wielding is a good gig! That's why so many 40k characters do it. It's a universe where dual wielding is a good idea instead of a terrible one. The primary downside to dual wielding is that you miss out on two-handed weapons like Thunder Hammers and soforth (many of which double STR bonus as an inherent quality).

It is worth noting though that Dual Wielding isn't totally awesome; it only grants one extra attack, so at higher levels when you've got something like Lightning Turbo Whooshfast, you're making 3 attacks anyway, so it's only a 33% bonus instead of 100% one like it is at first rank (And at first rank you might not actually profit from it if your accuracy is low enough that the penalty to hit with two one-handed weapons brings their expected DPS below the value of a more accurate two-handed weapon.)

alsterb
2013-06-06, 09:19 AM
Nope. It's fine as it is. Dual wielding is a good gig! That's why so many 40k characters do it. It's a universe where dual wielding is a good idea instead of a terrible one. The primary downside to dual wielding is that you miss out on two-handed weapons like Thunder Hammers and soforth (many of which double STR bonus as an inherent quality).

It is worth noting though that Dual Wielding isn't totally awesome; it only grants one extra attack, so at higher levels when you've got something like Lightning Turbo Whooshfast, you're making 3 attacks anyway, so it's only a 33% bonus instead of 100% one like it is at first rank (And at first rank you might not actually profit from it if your accuracy is low enough that the penalty to hit with two one-handed weapons brings their expected DPS below the value of a more accurate two-handed weapon.)

Thank you Shadow, that is exactly what I needed!!!