PDA

View Full Version : Prismatic Spray Clarification?

Matticussama
2013-06-06, 09:35 AM
This might be a silly question, but I noticed something odd that I hadn't considered with while using Prismatic Spray before. Here is the spell text:

This spell causes seven shimmering, intertwined, multicolored beams of light to spray from your hand. Each beam has a different power. Creatures in the area of the spell with 8 HD or less are automatically blinded for 2d4 rounds. Every creature in the area is randomly struck by one or more beams, which have additional effects. (emphasis mine)

In your standard adventuring party, that is fine; you're seldom going to have more than 7 people in the spell area. However, what if there are more than 7 people in the area? The spell says that only 7 beams are created, but that everyone in the area is struck by one or more beams of light. If you have more than 7 people, which part takes precedence: that there are only 7 beams created, or that every creature in the area is hit?

Medic!
2013-06-06, 09:37 AM
Everyone in the cone is subject to the spell, don't read too much into the fluff of beams. Or if you prefer, who says the beams disappear or stop just because they hit something?

Cone of lasers....devastating effect.

Urpriest
2013-06-06, 09:59 AM
The beams are thicker than you are imagining them. It's like a rainbow, not like a bunch of streamers. Two people can easily be hit with the same beam.

Matticussama
2013-06-06, 11:06 AM
Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I was imagining them as single-target rays, rather than beams which could impact multiple people. Thanks for the quick responses!

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-06, 06:27 PM
The beams are thicker than you are imagining them. It's like a rainbow, not like a bunch of streamers. Two people can easily be hit with the same beam.

I always imagined a swirling, strobing effect, but the end result is the same.