PDA

View Full Version : Improving Sorcerer Flexibility

Vaz
2013-06-06, 09:58 AM
I asked this in the Q+A but was advised to take it here. I'm looking for innate ways to improve a Sorcerer's flexibility casting wise.

The main one I know is Greater Any Spell; other than that, I'm afraid I'm down to items and UMD'ing.

This isn't particular to Sorcerers, but any character with a limited "Spells Known" with ways to get extra access to them; be it Duskblade, or Bard etc, but I was mainly asking for Sorcerers, in particular, Feats, or Spells, or ACF's. Not so much items.

cerin616
2013-06-06, 10:12 AM
bloodline feats can give you some extra spells

Mother Cyst feat as well

http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Cerebrosis

knowstones, although they can start to get pricey

Sandshaper

Mage of the Arcane Order, RP restrictive with certain DMs

Rainbow Servant, ****ty option IMO

Fiendblooded

EDIT: Or, just be a wizard.

Arbane
2013-06-06, 12:36 PM
Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation are popular Swiss Army Spells, IIRC.

Also, the higher-level Summon Monster spells can get you a lot of useful abilities.

Barsoom
2013-06-06, 06:06 PM
Mage of the Arcane Order. You want it.

TaiLiu
2013-06-06, 06:10 PM
Rainbow Servant, ****ty option IMO
This depends on whether or not one's DM decides to follow the table or the text. By RAW, it's full spellcasting.

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-06, 06:17 PM
Runestaves from MIC.

Using psychic reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) to rewrite spells known (assuming that falls under "decisions of these sorts" - it lets you rewrite powers, so I would assume spells are of the same "sort").

Recaster (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=3).

Polymorph into a Greater Doppelganger (Monsters of Faerun), use Metamorphic Transfer or Assume Supernatural Ability to pick up Consume Identity, eat another spellcaster's brain.

Vizzerdrix
2013-06-06, 06:44 PM
Mage of the Arcane Order. You want it.

This is a damn good option. You'll have to burn up a few feats but it is well worth it.

Later on invest in a Drake Helm. It'll give you up to 4 spells from any list.

TaiLiu
2013-06-06, 06:50 PM
Unseen Seer has Advanced Learning for Divination spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-06, 07:07 PM
Take Ancestral Relic (BoED) at 3rd level, and make it a custom Runestaff (MIC p224). You get to decide every spell that's on it and how often each can be used. Every time you upgrade/modify it you can completely replace its current properties with new ones if equal value. The value of its magical properties has a level-based limit, but there is no limit to the value you can sacrifice into it for later use.

When your party would sell junk loot for half price, buy it from the party pool for that price. You'll still get a fair share of that back when the cash is split, so for example in a party of four characters, 1,000 gp worth of junk loot will cost you 500 gp, and you'll get 125 gp of that back, for a net cost of 375 gp. You can sacrifice the full value of all that junk loot into your Ancestral Relic to upgrade it, so it's upgraded for considerably less than half price.