PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Captain Gish?

Phippster
2013-06-06, 06:48 PM
A friend of mine is looking into running an aquatic-based 3.5 campaign soon, and the DM decided who was going to become captain of the ship by choosing from amongst our back stories, without knowing who wrote which. Whichever he felt fit the theme of the campaign the best, and that he liked the most, got to be the captain, or choose who was if they didn't want to be.

I won the lot, and one of the other characters is my first mate aboard my current "ship",a half-destroyed lifeboat we're riding into port, Jack Sparrow style. However, I've done research into managing to get a decent ship, and as part of my backstory the party can acquire an already modified Elven Wingship to allow for more crew members and weaponry. To be a pirate hunter, which is my goal, I've looked into Legendary Captain to provide a Leadership boost as well as other naval combat capabilities.

---

However, I've been looking into trying a gish character for my Legendary Captain, a half-elf with strong ties to magic, particularly magic involving the sea such as water, storms, and wind. I'm not trying to build an uber-caster here, something useful but not amazing is more what I'm looking for.

I'm currently thinking about some combination of Duskblade 7/Abjurant Chamption 5/Warblade 2/Legendary Captain 6, not necessarily in that order. While this only ends up netting me 3rd level spells, that's the maximum level I really NEED for my concept to work. Some things to note is the DM found obscure (at least to our group) Elven Duskblade substitution levels that, among other things, allow me to learn spells like Shield, Mage Armor, Displacement, Mirror Image, and Haste. I've gained access to Lightning Bolt on my spell list as well (subpar choice, I know, but it's for flavor reasons). I'm also looking into getting Wind Wall as a spell somehow, possibly through Dragonmarked feats, but that's largely open to whether the DM will allow a change in how they work another group member proposed.

My question to you, Playground, is if my build is decent, and if there's a better way to achieve what I want out of the character. I'm aiming for something Tier 3-ish in power, with a decent BAB. My main combat strategy is to nab the Diamond Mind maneuvers that multiply damage based on Concentration checks, and using things like Arcane Channeling and Arcane Strike to ramp up damage. Any ideas?

Fuzzy McCoy
2013-06-07, 12:50 AM
Hmmm, this screams bard to me. With a decently large crew plus some inspire courage inspiration, you can have your crew deliver devastating volleys. Plus, while they don't get a whole lot of good spells wrt storm, wind, and waves, they do have a variety of sonic spells, which are work quite nicely to emulate the roar of the waves/thunder/storms.

I'd go Bard 8/ Legendary Captain 7/X 5

Grab Song of the Heart (Eberron campaign setting) and possibly Dragonfire Inspiration (dragon magic) and go to town.

Damage wise, you personally won't be throwing huge numbers around, but you'll be such a huge force multiplier that you don't really have to :smallamused:

X can be more bard, windwright captain here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050803a&page=3), sublime chord (complete arcane), or something else entirely

On an unrelated note, the diamond mind ruby/diamond nightmare blades are fairly useless to a duskblade. Extra damage dice is not multiplied (so no arcane strike), and it takes a standard action to channel a spell, so you can't combine the two without help.