PDA

View Full Version : Flesh to Stone Vs. the Undead

Deaxsa
2013-06-06, 06:52 PM
or Flesh to Ice, or Flesh to Salt. so the big question: does it affect undead? it's not technically paralysis, because while a paralyzed creature may drown, a stone creature cannot (although an ice creature can melt and a salt creature can dissolve.. ew).

additionally, can a a creature that has been turned to stone use spell-like abilities? or does "Mindless, inert statue" mean it may not take actions? (if the answer is no, then that would be more vidence that being turned to stone is NOT paralysis, as:)

He may take purely mental actions, such as casting a spell with no components.

edit: is it a polymorphing effect? wold a lich be immune to the flesh-to-X line of spells?

finally, if you had to pick only one of those three spells (stone vs salt vs ice) which would you pick and why? (this is not really relevant to any real discussion, but rather just a bit of fun)

for reference:
Flesh to Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fleshToStone.htm)
Undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType)
Paralysis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#paralysis)

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-06, 06:56 PM
It allows a Fort save and doesn't affect objects, so by RAW, no. I'd probably allow it to work on fleshy undead as a DM though.

Deaxsa
2013-06-06, 06:59 PM
It allows a Fort save and doesn't affect objects, so by RAW, no. I'd probably allow it to work on fleshy undead as a DM though.

ah, i missed that. although, arguably, (merchant of venice style.. or just porkchop style), flesh can be an object, and thus, it can affect objects.
..yes? no? am i trying too hard here?

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-06, 07:05 PM
ah, i missed that. although, arguably, (merchant of venice style.. or just porkchop style), flesh can be an object, and thus, it can affect objects.
..yes? no? am i trying too hard here?

Sadly, the target is one creature, which is the determining factor...

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-06-06, 07:07 PM
Glass Strike and Disintegrate, for all your Undead-slaying needs.

Deaxsa
2013-06-06, 07:19 PM
Sadly, the target is one creature, which is the determining factor...
ah, thank you

Glass Strike and Disintegrate, for all your Undead-slaying needs.

and when you are only level 9? :smalleek: also, what book is glass strike in? and wouldn't a lich be immune to it? additionally, because the duration is 1 hour/level, and not instantaneous, could i cast glass strike on, say, a vampire, and then stone to flesh?

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-06, 07:51 PM
Interesting. Stone to flesh and flesh to stone used to be perfect inverses of each other, I think. My recollection of 2e was that fleshy undead could be petrified. I wonder why they got rid of that, especially with the weird utility that stone to flesh now has for necromancers.

Oh, Game Developers. They always be failing them Will saves v. Tasha's hideous uncontrollable RAW.

Flickerdart
2013-06-06, 07:54 PM
additionally, can a a creature that has been turned to stone use spell-like abilities? or does "Mindless, inert statue" mean it may not take actions?
While a mindless creature can use SLAs (such as a spellstitched zombie), "inert" pretty much seals the deal - any creature affected by Flesh to Stone can take no actions.