PDA

View Full Version : [System Agnostic] Magical Trials Ideas wanted. Non magical ones accepted too!

Zigg'rrauglurr
2013-06-06, 09:45 PM
Hello forumgoers. I come to you in my hour of need.
Not to bore you with details of my game and system (OpenD6 if you must know) but....

The local princess is having all candidates wanting to be hired, pass through a couple of tests/trials,
to see if they are worthy...

The trials are individual.

The muscle type character (A giant hulk of a character) will battle against a strong and resistant magical armor.

The tinkerer (the character ability is designing games (!) ) will have to solve a puzzle.
His first test will be: "Get the rock from the pedestal in the middle of a 30x30 carpet, without stepping on the carpet, without the rock falling".

As for the third character... he is something of a mage, with an academic tint, who is just starting to "adventure".
I would love to have the academic mage to pass a test of "Magical Creativity".

And this is were I'm stumped.
The magician (who is not a D&D wizard); has abilities that allow him to:

"Aquakinesis": the ability to move water-based fluids, the more water the easier is to move. Vapor (Gaseous water) can be controlled with effort, Ice cannot. (similar to WaterBending from Avatar)
Change state of water (We are still looking for a name).
By using his magical energy, he is able to raise the temperature of water to reach the boiling point in a localized area (small bodies of water). Also using his own energy he is able to siphon energy from water to freeze it. Water never reaches below 272ēK or higher than 374ēK in this manner.
Basic Telekinesis. It's a racial thing, he can lift small and medium sized things for normal periods of time or create normal bouts of force, nothing higher than he would create with his muscles.
Light. A small orb of light, also a racial thing, 1/3 of the population can do it.
(Bonus round: With effort he could try to affect fluids/water with a different ability, but it would always be limited to that area of influence)

So. Either based on his abilities, or not. I would like to see if anyone can come with one or two tests that would force the player to be "Creative" or find a creative way of using his magical abilities.

The test needs to be hard, doesn't matter if he fails. But it should be doable.

Double bonus track: If you have any ideas for the other two players, those are welcome too. I still need to create a second test for each of them...

PS: I tought of the "Magical Creativity" test, because of something I saw in FullMetal Alchemist, were they had the candidates show their abilities in a "battle of wits" and creativity... The main character built a dirigible (if I recall correctly) out of some water and a flag... I believe...

Sodalite
2013-06-06, 10:08 PM
I imagine "Light this piece of paper with only your magic and your wits" would be fairly difficult considering what's available. How much dexterity does he have with the water-control, and how much power does his orb of light output? If those parameters are good enough, this should be possible.

TheCountAlucard
2013-06-06, 11:46 PM
Here's one that seems straightforward, but has a bit of a twist: A bunch of bound fire elementals are turned loose in a mystical forest. It's up to the PC to prevent harm to the forest.

The trick is to let the elementals burn the dying or dead trees, and, if he has to, defend the healthy ones. If he kills the elementals or prevents their forest fire, he's actually the one hurting nature. :smallwink:

LokiRagnarok
2013-06-07, 03:56 AM
Hm. Based on his powers, maybe some mirror-light-puzzle? He has to make sheets of ice, then cast Light so that there is a reflection in a certain way which opens some light-sensitive mechanism or something?

How much control does he have of the light orb? Does it always stay with him? Can he move it? To what range?

Slipperychicken
2013-06-07, 09:36 AM
Here's one that seems straightforward, but has a bit of a twist: A bunch of bound fire elementals are turned loose in a mystical forest. It's up to the PC to prevent harm to the forest.

The trick is to let the elementals burn the dying or dead trees, and, if he has to, defend the healthy ones. If he kills the elementals or prevents their forest fire, he's actually the one hurting nature. :smallwink:

Sounds like unintuitive word-twisting which could screw the player either way.

SimonMoon6
2013-06-07, 02:19 PM
Roll up the carpet!

Oh, sorry, that's not what you're asking for...

Zigg'rrauglurr
2013-06-07, 05:38 PM
I imagine "Light this piece of paper with only your magic and your wits" would be fairly difficult considering what's available. How much dexterity does he have with the water-control, and how much power does his orb of light output? If those parameters are good enough, this should be possible.

Interesting, you mean light as in make fire? The light is cool and low powered for that use... also I wouldn't want to give him the ability to light fires with his basic abilities.... However your proposal brings a new idea. Let the room have a big window and enough natural light... Mythbuster almost created fire with ice lenses, the only problem was that the ice kept melting, however his abilities will keep the ice fresh... OK. This will be the test if I don't find anything better. Thanks!

Hm. Based on his powers, maybe some mirror-light-puzzle? He has to make sheets of ice, then cast Light so that there is a reflection in a certain way which opens some light-sensitive mechanism or something?
How much control does he have of the light orb? Does it always stay with him? Can he move it? To what range?

The puzzle would be nice, but I don't have any definitive idea that would be exciting in a roleplaying environment.... Perhaps you have any idea?

Roll up the carpet!

Oh, sorry, that's not what you're asking for...

Hehe, clever, that one was from my wife, another experienced gamemaster(mistress?)

Keep the ideas flowing please, or if you know some sort of wiki or resource I could take advantage please tell me so.

Scow2
2013-06-07, 05:44 PM
Try thinking of something to focus on aquadynamics, juggling the three states, while knowing his limitations. I'll try to think of something more concrete... Probably put the water in a contained system, so he can play around with the vapor directly isntead of having it disperse into the atmosphere.