PDA

View Full Version : Encounters that made you giggle!

gurgleflep
2013-06-06, 10:37 PM
I've seen threads on what you can't do, what you have done, and no context posts, but I haven't yet seen something about funniest encounters you've had, so I'm starting one up with a couple of my own stories!

Here's one I was the DM in --
Me - acting as an illithid: With my hand against my face, I wriggled my fingers in an awkward manner and made a slurping noise.
Fighter: Do you need a tissue?!

This one happened just today --
DM: Roll your hide checks!
Rogue: natural 20 - Hides in a corner behind a chair
Paladin: 18 - hides under the table (it has a cloth on it)
Barbarian (me): natural 1 - jumps into the small-sized bed, takes the small-sized blanket and puts it on his large-sized head.
Drow walks in: 16 on a spot check - "Everybody, there's an idiot under a blanket in here!"

Ignominia
2013-06-09, 01:02 PM
I was DMing a session where the PC's first arrived in a new major port city. They were unsure how safe the city was and were being very cautious...

As they were walking through the bazzar an NPC grabbed one of thier arms and whispered in thier ear, "Come with me you are in grave danger..."

The PC's shocked followed the NPC into a dark alley...
"What is this danger you spoke of!?" They demanded...

"As I said, you were in grave danger of falling prey... TO HIGH PRICES!"
*he gestures and an assistant opens a stall behind him.

The players all stared in shocked silence for a second before bursting into laughter.

I then proceded to sell them severly discounted (and totally cursed) goods.

Good times.:smallbiggrin:

gurgleflep
2013-06-09, 01:39 PM
I was DMing a session where the PC's first arrived in a new major port city. They were unsure how safe the city was and were being very cautious...

As they were walking through the bazzar an NPC grabbed one of thier arms and whispered in thier ear, "Come with me you are in grave danger..."

The players all stared in shocked silence for a second before bursting into laughter.

That's great :smallbiggrin: how long before they found out they were cursed?

Ignominia
2013-06-09, 01:46 PM
HA! Im glad you liked it...

It was a while before they realized. I sold them a cursed wand of fireball and a cursed wand of cure moderate wounds. I rolled (d10)before hand and determined that after 8 normal activations of either wand there would be one cursed activation, the fireball wand would cast a fireball centred on the caster and the wand of cure would cast enervation instead of cure!

The NPC merchant was a polymorphed reoccuring villan that they had been dealing with for quite sometime. He managed to hit them with cursed items and have them pay for the privilage!

The best part...

They considered it an acceptable risk and kept using the items!

Humble Master
2013-06-09, 01:56 PM
So the my PCs were infiltrating/smashing down a cultist hideaway. They manage to tie up a guard and proceeded to interrogate him. This was their plan:
Put an extendable pole in his mouth.
Slowly push the button to extend the pole.
We were all on the floor laughing. I have since banned extendable poles from my game.

gurgleflep
2013-06-09, 02:15 PM
HA! Im glad you liked it...

It was a while before they realized. I sold them a cursed wand of fireball and a cursed wand of cure moderate wounds. I rolled (d10)before hand and determined that after 8 normal activations of either wand there would be one cursed activation, the fireball wand would cast a fireball centred on the caster and the wand of cure would cast enervation instead of cure!

The NPC merchant was a polymorphed reoccuring villan that they had been dealing with for quite sometime. He managed to hit them with cursed items and have them pay for the privilage!

The best part...

They considered it an acceptable risk and kept using the items!

This is the most appropriate reply I could muster:
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/2/5/17/anigif_enhanced-buzz-18359-1360103873-3_preview.gif

So the my PCs were infiltrating/smashing down a cultist hideaway. They manage to tie up a guard and proceeded to interrogate him. This was their plan:
Put an extendable pole in his mouth.
Slowly push the button to extend the pole.
We were all on the floor laughing. I have since banned extendable poles from my game.

Was it because of this incident that you banned it, or something far worse?

Humble Master
2013-06-09, 02:26 PM
Something far worse. I left out all of the, eh, anatomically oriented jokes... We tended to giggle every time the character brought out his extendable pole.

gurgleflep
2013-06-09, 02:41 PM
Something far worse. I left out all of the, eh, anatomically oriented jokes... We tended to giggle every time the character brought out his extendable pole.

Just reading this, I think I know what kind of jokes were cracked with the pole was brought out...

Oh, another one I just remembered!
I was a player in this campaign.
DM: (after we've already entered the room) The room you are now standing in is waist deep in poo.
Me: Uh... waist deep to who?
DM: The half-orc, why do you ask?
Me: I'm a halfling, I'm like... half a foot under the poo.
Half-orc: I'm gonna roll a search check!
DM: Why?
Half-orc: Well SOMEBODY has to find the halfling!

Callin
2013-06-09, 02:41 PM
Friend of mine clacked his false teeth and used a multicolored flashing light on a lighter whenever he talked as a Diopsid.

Funniest villian was Kill Bosby. Used a wand that he stuck in his mouth and slurped it and then spit out black puddings. Yes the wand looked like one of those crappy wooden ice cream spoons.

thebladeofchaos
2013-06-09, 02:48 PM
I think the most entertaining one we had was when A member of our group was trying to find ways to make gunpowder and flying ships. the DM set some ridiculous bar like DC 45. the guy got so determined to do it that he spent like.....25 gold bars (each being like 2000 gold) on enough to make it.

and then, once he finally made it, the DM had an adventure in said gunpowder stores....

let's just say Cerillia heard a loud explosion after a fireball from the enemy.

Another one involved my character with a fate tag on it (basically the DM made it so characters had some fate to perform) and whenever my character was on the vere of death, the land split open and lave flowed below.

It turned into my character (a warlock) becoming a frontline fighter because if the enemy tried to kill him they'd be swallowed by lava.

Same game had a mimic coming into a toilet. First thing the party said as it tried to barge the door down:
OCCUPIED

Grommen
2013-06-09, 06:28 PM
The DM accidentally told us the title of the room we just entered. It was titled "Sitting Room".
The barbarian in the party very seriously sat down, and yelled at everyone in the party "This is a sitting room SIT!"

Best encounter ever..

Same DM placed a wooden box in a room. It had only one entrance, and the ceiling was only 3 feet tall. Inside the box were animated wooden dolls (essentially low powered wood golems), they of coarse leaped out of the box and began killing the party that consisted humans and tall elves. We were barely able to fight them because of all the penalties involved in fighting on our knees. The cleric in our party got the bright idea to smash oil on one of them, and then set them on fire. Ya know cause they were made of wood. Coarse they were resistant to fire, so now we were fighting "Flameing Wooden golems". When the fight ended the cleric wisly decided to put out all the fire, so he cast create water :smallbiggrin: ya....

And the treasure in the box...Scrolls (they were burnt to a cinder)

This was called "The box by Pandora".

Second best encounter ever.

Party enters a room that is knee deep in undead reanimated eyeballs. Inside the room is a gibbering mouther. Every eyeball turns and looks at us accusing. Gibbering mouther then casts stone to mud on the floor and they slowly sink into the pile of eyeballs wile trying to find the mouther and kill it.

To this day an entire party of 11th level adventures have to roll horror checks every time they fight something with more than two eyes, and are thankful they are on Golaren because if this was the Forgotten Realms :smalleek: and they found a Beholder...

Honorable Mention:

Only Vampire game I have GM'ed.... This crazed Malkhavin rolled so well on his Obfuscation roll that he was able to hide out on the open...As a box. The player spent the entire rest of the encounter with his arms around his face in a square saying "I'm a box".

So I loaded him onto a ship as cargo. :smallbiggrin:

He was a box.

Averis Vol
2013-06-09, 08:19 PM
In one game I played in our party got drugged up on hallucinogens by our sorcerer host who was entertaining us before we went to bed (we payed him for a few rooms for the night as we were out in a thunderstorm previously). so, when we woke up with throbbing headaches in the middle of the night and walked out to find his healer, we were surprised to say the least when we found ourselves in a mansion run by miniature oozes.

So naturally we freaked out and started bolting down the hallway as fast as we could, strapping on sword belts and, in the case of one player, putting pants on when we burst into the courtyard to find a squadron of the things holding halberds with frilly hats and spaulders. they moved towards us with a "squick" noises each step, and when they tried to talk the DM described it as "Jiggling menacingly at us". Of course these were normal guards, but we were drugged so we had an epic escape fight versus a bunch of gelatinous cubes riding jello horses and trying to lance us down.

man, we had good times when I was still a PC :P

gurgleflep
2013-06-09, 08:45 PM
In one game I played in our party got drugged up on hallucinogens by our sorcerer host who was entertaining us before we went to bed (we payed him for a few rooms for the night as we were out in a thunderstorm previously). so, when we woke up with throbbing headaches in the middle of the night and walked out to find his healer, we were surprised to say the least when we found ourselves in a mansion run by miniature oozes.

So naturally we freaked out and started bolting down the hallway as fast as we could, strapping on sword belts and, in the case of one player, putting pants on when we burst into the courtyard to find a squadron of the things holding halberds with frilly hats and spaulders. they moved towards us with a "squick" noises each step, and when they tried to talk the DM described it as "Jiggling menacingly at us". Of course these were normal guards, but we were drugged so we had an epic escape fight versus a bunch of gelatinous cubes riding jello horses and trying to lance us down.

man, we had good times when I was still a PC :P

I couldn't help but giggle at the jiggle comment :smallbiggrin: My face hurts from smiling because of it!

Averis Vol
2013-06-09, 10:04 PM
Yea, I lost consciousness from that one. Slipped out of my chair while laughing and hit my head on the fridge.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-09, 10:06 PM

I am totally stealing that. That's brilliant!

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-09, 10:25 PM
As for me... Funniest encounters:

1) As a DM I was running a Magic: The Gathering themed game of 3.5. My players were in the designated "Red" area, so lots of tall mountains, volcanoes, and of course... goblins.

What my players DIDN'T count on was that the goblins in question were friendly mercenaries offering their services. They also happened to be led by a bard - so singing this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O-vJbwvUlY) is how they advertised their services. At the "High Voltage" bit the goblin wizard cast Shocking Grasp and grabbed the goblin in front of him.

Hilarity ensued. < ._.>

2) Also as a DM - One of my players was a paladin with a magical warhorse. Unbeknownst to me* he'd given his warhorse Stunning Fist (I think) among other things. I forget exactly what that horse had, I kinda think he'd even given it a Monk's Belt too, or something like that... anyway... at one point while being chased by a pair of Winter Wolves, the Paladin dives off his horse onto one of the winter wolves, and grapples it to the ground.

He then orders his horse to fight the other one. Horse proceeded to beat the ever-loving snot out of the winterwolf in question, then took on the bandits that had unleashed said winter wolves, single hoofed-ly.

The horse was thereafter named Bruce (after Bruce Lee), the kickboxing horse. The horse proved to be far more powerful than the paladin.

Needless to say there were MANY Kung Pow jokes after that.

The encounter in question was never intended to be much more than a random encounter, but it became quite memorable because of that player's shenanigans.

3) Also as DM - My players ran into the shop of a gnome and his assistants. The gnomes were shopkeeps by day, but circus acrobats by night. Every time the PCs asked for something off a high shelf, they were treated to high-wire acts, trapeze acts and gnomish-pyramids.

*I was a lazy DM and didn't check over his mount. Best mistake ever.

drew2u
2013-06-10, 12:07 AM
Not really an encounter, but definitely a WTF moment:

I was co-DMing a game and my partner and I decided to add in weather effects to the games since our group tended to ignore things like that when we played.
As the PCs were traveling through a forest, we had the scout make a perception check (I believe), and we told him that he felt drops falling on him.

He then said he runs away and climbs the nearest tree. My co-DM and I looked at each other and replied with, "Uh, okay?"

The Player then said he was going to warn the party by mimicking a bird - to which he flaps his arms at the table and says, "Ka-kaw!"

At this point we just ask what the heck he was doing because we all were confused.

"You said I felt drops! I thought it was a monster of some kind drooling on me from above, so I wanted to get out of there and warn the party."

Yeah, the drops he felt were raindrops.

Bubzors
2013-06-10, 11:15 AM
This one was not meant to be particularly funny, but it happened to be anyway. I was DM and had a player whose character was a gnome sorceror. He played the gnome as an illusionist with ADD, always doing random things with prestidigitation, or anouncing the arrival of the party into town with loud horns and color spray.

Anyway, in one dungeon I had a room with a few large curtains that were actually monsters that were meant to grapple the party as they went by. However, in his usual randomness, the gnome says, "Screw this dungeon and their fancy curtains!" and casts burning hands on them. The entire party thought it was hilarious when they realized the gnome's random antics saved them from getting into a surprise fight.

From that point on, the gnome always tried to light furnishings on fire, "Just in case."

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-10, 03:10 PM
One I'm DMing in, with all new players.

Party is in a tavern (hey it's an easy place to have a lot of mechanics occur simply enough so that new players can learn them all! Sue me!) and basically a fight breaks out where a bunch of assassins are trying to kill a diplomat who was at the bar. The party is at a table near the diplomat.

Party Paladin - I jump on the table!
Me- Good idea! Roll a jump (he succeeds). You now have a bonus on your to hit because of your position. Ok Rouge, you're next.
Rouge - I flip the table!
Me - But... the paladin is on the table...
Rouge - I need cover, I'm ranged...
me - Ok roll strenght check.

He succeeded the strenght check, paladin fails balance and tumble and falls prone to the floor.

gurgleflep
2013-06-10, 03:14 PM
One I'm DMing in, with all new players.

Party is in a tavern (hey it's an easy place to have a lot of mechanics occur simply enough so that new players can learn them all! Sue me!) and basically a fight breaks out where a bunch of assassins are trying to kill a diplomat who was at the bar. The party is at a table near the diplomat.

Party Paladin - I jump on the table!
Me- Good idea! Roll a jump (he succeeds). You now have a bonus on your to hit because of your position. Ok Rouge, you're next.
Rouge - I flip the table!
Me - But... the paladin is on the table...
Rouge - I need cover, I'm ranged...
me - Ok roll strenght check.

He succeeded the strenght check, paladin fails balance and tumble and falls prone to the floor.

Visualizing this was probably the best part :smalltongue: did the paladin hit anybody on the way down, flailing his arms like "Oh poo! Oh poo!!" trying to grab onto something?

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-10, 03:38 PM
Visualizing this was probably the best part :smalltongue: did the paladin hit anybody on the way down, flailing his arms like "Oh poo! Oh poo!!" trying to grab onto something?

He just awkwardly fell and took 1dmg. The player took it in good spirits, but did an effective job RP'ing his Paladin as upset (can't remember what he said exactly, something to the extent of "what the hell you idiot!").

Many laughs were had

Arc_knight25
2013-06-11, 07:41 AM
In a 4e campaign I was playing a Dragonborn Warlord. Hos name was Kravish. Very boisterous, took the parties success and turned them into his own since he was thier "leader". Anyways we were going up against Dueregar. They had set themselves up behind tables for cover and started firing away. Rather then let one of these dwarfs have his cover Kravish runs up to the table drops his sword and picks the table up and crushes the dwarf with it. The party of course rallied from his display of heroics easily vanquished the evil dwarfs. He was alot of fun to play. Reckless and always looking for glory.