PDA

View Full Version : magic item control

blelliot
2013-06-07, 12:00 AM
In my new world, magic is severely limited. Is it a good idea to cross out magic items entirely? Or is it too restricting? I've also been thinking of planting a few weapons of legacy around to represent a forgotten era in the history of the world. Any thoughts and opinions?

Keld Denar
2013-06-07, 12:10 AM
You CAN do it, but you really have to look at the CR system. Granted, the CR system isn't perfect, but it does take into account WBL of the PCs. If they are WAY behind on WBL (as in, no magic items at all), then encounters that would normally be easy for them could potentially be VERY hard.

At the bare minimum, I would not have ANY encounters with any supernatural creatures. Nothing with DR X/Magic, Good, or any of the other SU DR abilties. Cold Iron and Silver as still fine, as they are Ex abilities. Incorporeals should likewise be completely deleted as it is physically impossible to harm them without magic items or spells.

So, basically, if all of your enemies are going to be classed humanoids with a similar lack of WBL, it should be fine.

EDIT: Thats assuming that you are completely removing spellcasters from the game, possibly using spell-less variants of classes like Paladin or Ranger, and out right banning Wizard, Sorc, Cleric, and Druid?

Rhynn
2013-06-07, 12:16 AM
You might check out Conan d20. It's a pretty great d20 game, involves no assumption of magic items (magic items exist, but are generally unique and exceedingly rare), and can more or less use D&D monsters (slight conversion required). Characters get more feats (at 1st and every 5th level in your favored class), more ability score increases (similar to 4E, actually; +1 to all scores every so many levels), and a lot more class abilities.

I'm not saying it's precisely balanced to use 3.X monsters in, but it'd give you some ideas. (Plus it's a cool game.)

blelliot
2013-06-07, 12:39 AM
You CAN do it, but you really have to look at the CR system. Granted, the CR system isn't perfect, but it does take into account WBL of the PCs. If they are WAY behind on WBL (as in, no magic items at all), then encounters that would normally be easy for them could potentially be VERY hard.

At the bare minimum, I would not have ANY encounters with any supernatural creatures. Nothing with DR X/Magic, Good, or any of the other SU DR abilties. Cold Iron and Silver as still fine, as they are Ex abilities. Incorporeals should likewise be completely deleted as it is physically impossible to harm them without magic items or spells.

So, basically, if all of your enemies are going to be classed humanoids with a similar lack of WBL, it should be fine.

EDIT: Thats assuming that you are completely removing spellcasters from the game, possibly using spell-less variants of classes like Paladin or Ranger, and out right banning Wizard, Sorc, Cleric, and Druid?
Actually I'm not, I'm just severely limiting the amount of magic they can learn and for ranger, bard, and pally I'm using them as prc. Basically the idea is that magic is viewed as useful, but highly untrusted. As for the supernateral creatures, they will be as rare as a magic item. I'm thinking limiting magic items is better. Any ideas on limiting magic items? Besides having to go questing for them all the time that is.

Keld Denar
2013-06-07, 09:58 AM
You aren't banning spellcasters? That's gonna be a problem. There is a dramatic gap in power between those with spells and those without spells. Magic gear helps close this gap a little bit. Without it, spellcasters, even with limited spell access, will still be much much much stronger than their mundane compatriots. I strongly encourage you, if you WANT to do a low magic game, that you just completely eliminate Wiz/Sorc/Clr/Drd and use spell-less variants for the other classes.

Take the suggestion above and look into the Conan RPG. It really covers better what you are interested in by making the bonuses usually granted by magic items into inherent bonuses.

Kudaku
2013-06-07, 10:24 AM
Playing a primary spellcaster in a campaign that's low magic is usually very, very, very powerful. Non-casters rely on magic items to emulate the effects spellcasters get via their spellslots, and many of the common defenses against magic won't be readily available if magic is uncommon or unknown.

For instance Levitate + Protection From Arrows are available to a 3rd level wizard, and makes him incredibly hard to kill.

Your typical high nobleman in a fantasy setting is probably aware of the downfalls of enchantment spells like Charm Person and has taken steps to protect himself - but if it's a low magic campaign those steps will most likely be hard or impossible to recreate, if he's even aware of the potential risk in the first place.

I'd be very careful about allowing wizards, clerics etc in a campaign that's low magic.

Yora
2013-06-07, 10:30 AM
If you play low-level or E6, there really is no immediate need to have magic items at all.

The only downside is, that it makes having a cleric or other devine spellcaster in the party pretty much mandatory, or you introduce alchemical healing items. Relying entirely on natural healing and the Heal skill will slow down things very significantly.