PDA

View Full Version : Emulating 'sending' spell in E6

SillySymphonies
2013-06-07, 07:18 AM
For plot-related reasons, an allied NPC needs to transfer a message to the PCs who are currently residing in the Mournland (Eberron). A sending spell would be ideal for such an occasion (the more because the NPC in question doesn't know the exact location of the PCs), but sending isn't readily available in E6. What reliable ways do exist in an E6 campaign (location: Eberron; psionics allowed) to transfer a message to a person whose location isn't known (or at least not exactly)?

Matticussama
2013-06-07, 07:37 AM
Assuming that they are very familiar with the person they are sending the message to, the NPC could combo Locate Object and Animal Messenger; since both are 2nd level spells, it shouldn't be too hard to get in most E6 settings. Use Locate Object to get the location of a specific item held by the PCs (family crest, personal sigil, etc) and then send the Animal Messenger to the location revealed by the divination.

Crake
2013-06-07, 07:38 AM
For plot-related reasons, an allied NPC needs to transfer a message to the PCs who are currently residing in the Mournland (Eberron). A sending spell would be ideal for such an occasion (the more because the NPC in question doesn't know the exact location of the PCs), but sending isn't readily available in E6. What reliable ways do exist in an E6 campaign (location: Eberron; psionics allowed) to transfer a message to a person whose location isn't known (or at least not exactly)?

Best way is via some kind of magical ritual like the ones in unearthed arcana. Though my personal favourite way of dealing with high level spells in e6 is treating them like epic spells where the spellcraft DC can only be affected by having additional casters supply spells (essentially group spellcasting)

Assuming that they are very familiar with the person they are sending the message to, the NPC could combo Locate Object and Animal Messenger; since both are 2nd level spells, it shouldn't be too hard to get in most E6 settings. Use Locate Object to get the location of a specific item held by the PCs (family crest, personal sigil, etc) and then send the Animal Messenger to the location revealed by the divination.

Isn't locate object 400+40ft/level range? I feel like that probably wont cover a long enough range

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-07, 07:46 AM
A ritual spell seems to be in order.

Otherwise, someone with overchannel or some such could manifest Remote Viewing and then Missive through the connection. You would need to have gotten their hands on an expensive powerstone though, made by a naturally psionic creature with a 4th level power.

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-07, 07:51 AM
There's a second-level mystery that theoretically duplicates sending, called congress of shadows. Should be fairly easy to have items of that available in E6, since that's available to 3rd-level shadowcasters.

There are some major restrictions with congress of shadows, though. Unlike sending, it has a maximum range of 1 mile per level, and you must know where your target is (within 100') in order to use it. So, it can be a useful tool for a scout to report back to base and get a response, or something similar, but it loses a lot of the crazy utility ("anywhere in the world, if I know you, I can reach you") that makes sending such a good spell. You'd have to combine it with some sort of divination to find the location, like the above posters suggested.

Matticussama
2013-06-07, 07:53 AM
Isn't locate object 400+40ft/level range? I feel like that probably wont cover a long enough range

I completely overlooked its range limitation. =/

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-07, 08:04 AM
I think a artificer could make a scroll of sending as well. If you are willing to blow hundreds of GP to send a message, you would be able to get it done.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-07, 12:46 PM
A gnome with the Least Mark of Scribing could have whispering wind as a 1/day SLA.

Too bad that this isn't E8 - a gnome X 4/Dragonmark Heir 4 could use sending 1/day.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-06-07, 12:52 PM
In Eberron? The solution is easy, use a dragonmarked item. Items that can cast sending exist, they're simply built in such a way that they cannot function properly unless they are in the hands of a bearer of the Mark of Scribing. That's House Sivis, in case you didn't want to look it up. I imagine that such items would look like books which have their pages synchronized between cities. Magical telegraph to go along with your magical trains, yeah?

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-07, 01:07 PM
Whispering Sand, Sandstorm pg. 128. Druid/Sor/Wiz 3.

Anywhere on the same plane if the target is located in an area of sand, dust, or ash. The Mournlands should most assuredly count.

Or I can get you able to cast Polymorph, your choice. :smalltongue:

Gildedragon
2013-06-07, 01:46 PM
Note that for eberron access to certain spells past 3rd level is assumed, such as planar binding, as they are extensively used for setting fluff and crunch purposes (lightning rail, item enchanting) If you're willing to handwave those, by making them work via co-op casting or rituals/incantations or dragonmark magic you can do so for sending.

SillySymphonies
2013-06-07, 04:53 PM
Wow. That's quite some more responses than I expected. Go Playground! :smallsmile:

I'll address your suggestions in order:

- Locate object plus animal messenger: nice combo, but as stated before, doesn't work because of animal messenger's limited range.
- Remote viewing plus missive: nice and creative combo, but unfortunately remote viewing is a 4th-lvl power, so not really available in E6 (unless one assumes the availability of psionic artificers).
- Congress of shadows and whispering sand sound promising, I'll check them out. :smallsmile:
- An artificer can indeed access 4th-lvl spells: 'For purposes of meeting item prerequisites, an artificer’s effective caster level equals his artificer level +2.' [ECS]
- Whispering wind unfortunately won't cut it: the NPC is not aware of the PCs' exact location.
- The 'magical telegraph' (called a 'speaking stone') is based of the whispering wind spell, so that won't work. :smallfrown:

Note that for eberron access to certain spells past 3rd level is assumed, such as planar binding, as they are extensively used for setting fluff and crunch purposes (lightning rail, item enchanting) If you're willing to handwave those, by making them work via co-op casting or rituals/incantations or dragonmark magic you can do so for sending.
In my E6 Eberron that's what eldritch machines are for: 'Fortunately for low-level PCs, creating an eldritch machine is not the exclusive province of high-level spellcasters. The task has no specific spell requirements or even a minimum caster level. Instead, creating a specific eldritch machine has a large number of specific, highly restrictive requirements governing its construction and even its location.' [ECS]
But I prefer to reserve that explanation for airships and the like - not just one person trying to send a message. But that's just my personal preference as a DM: co-op casting etc. could easily explain these in another's E6 Eberron.

Anyway: thank you all for your insightful contributions. :smallsmile:

Gildedragon
2013-06-07, 05:21 PM
Eldritch machines could set up the equivalent of a radio or wireless telegraph system; places from which one can send but not necessarily receive. Establishing two way contact would require finding an abandoned Sending Tower at some ruined Sivis outpost in the mournlands.

To the PCs a communications network may be trivial but in an industrial society as khorvaire's it is an extremely valuable thing, on par with the value of fast logistical movement afforded by the rail. Because of cost and location restrictions they aren't that useful to pc's but allow them to receive NPC messages with ease. They don't obviate letters and post, except in emergency situations.

Cruiser1
2013-06-07, 05:58 PM
For plot-related reasons, an allied NPC needs to transfer a message to the PCs who are currently residing in the Mournland (Eberron). What reliable ways do exist in an E6 campaign (location: Eberron; psionics allowed) to transfer a message to a person whose location isn't known (or at least not exactly)?
Interplanar Message (MotP) is a Cleric 3 spell, that should do exactly what you want. It's like Sending, except it's one way only (the recipient can't reply with 25 words in turn), and you have to touch the person when casting the spell after which you can send them a message at any time (which works with an allied NPC).

Mirror Sending (BoVD) is a Mortal Hunter 3 spell, from a PrC that grants casting. It's also like Sending, except the recipient has to be looking into a mirror. You can't be that PrC yourself in E6, however as a level 3 spell, item crafters that aren't limited to a particular class should be able to make items of it without exceeding CL limits.

Gildedragon
2013-06-07, 06:02 PM
Fancy that. I am surprised at the number of proto sendings there are

Compact mirrors are cellphones