PDA

View Full Version : [R'E6] Infinite Arena - Clan Clegan

stack
2013-06-07, 07:59 AM
(This is the in-character thread for Clan Clegan's matches in the Infinite Arena. Everyone is welcome to watch as we playtest Rizban's E6 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273643) material. OOC here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15374996#post15374996), recruitment here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286731).)

"Its a beeeuutilful day for mortal combat! Today our beloved Metrop Marauders take on the newcomers, Clan Clegan!"

"That's right, and it looks to be a great match. The Clegan's look to favor long range and defensive tactics combine with a whole zoo! Let's see how that works out for them against the more balance attack of the rookie members of the home team."

"Here they are now. Clan Clegan is coming in through the North gate." <Crowd boos>

"And here they are, the ones you've been waiting for, the Metrop MAAARRRAAUUDEEEERRRSSS!" <CROWD CHEERS>

Initiative:Clan Clegan [roll0]
MM [roll1]

stack
2013-06-07, 08:00 AM
Initiative (didn't work in OP):Clan Clegan [roll0]
MM [roll1]

"Those newcomers sure are quick!"

map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1pktpiVtFy5G1TNG2fyqb2QBXLI_g7znu1nOragSyYPI/edit?usp=sharing)

Clan Clegan may act first.

planswalker
2013-06-07, 09:21 AM
The Clan begins by signaling their eagles to attack.

The birds of prey cease their lazy winged spirals overhead and dive at their targets, the excitement of the hunt filling them with vigor.

each of them taking 10 on the dc 10 handle animal check to have them use a command they already have been trained.

note that the eagles have been trained for the purpose of hunting, and thus know the tricks associated with that. Besides the tricks trained, they are exactly as written in the monster manual. Their dive attacks are aerial charges that, in addition to the usual charging restrictions, require them to move at least 30 feet and descend at least 10 and may only make a claw or talon attack at the end. However, that attack's damage is doubled. Due to the charge, each eagle's ac is 12 until their next turn.

Eagle 1 and 3 to dive at the marauder at B14
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Eagle 2 will dive at the marauder at B15
[roll4]
[roll5]
Eagle 4 will dive at the marauder at A14
[roll6]
[roll7]

The Clegane Clan themselves hold fast and do not move from where they entered. Themountain and Themassif lock shields together, forming a wall of defense while Thehill readies his crossbow and Thevalley nocks an arrow. They follow their typical preparations for engaging in squad combat, each of the shield-bearers paring up with an archer to protect them, while the archers look out for their older brothers in return. The great indomitable defense of the Clegane Clan settles into place.

Each of the four uses their move action to declare another of them their ward.

Themassif declares Thehill his ward, and vice versa. Themountain and Thevalley declare each other their wards as well.

Each of them are receiving a +1 dodge bonus to ac for being within 5 feet of their ward as well as granting their ward cover, which is a +4 cover bonus to ac. Currently, Themountain and Themassif are at 25 ac, Thevalley and Thehill are at 23.

Themountain and Themassif spend their standard actions ready an attack should any Marauder come within melee. Thevalley readies a standard action to shoot at the first marauder to step within 100 feet who presents a clear line of sight. Thehill does similar.

stack
2013-06-07, 09:47 AM
(I never knew about dive attacks. huh.)

"Ironbeard takes two hits. Ouch!" (2/15 HP)
"Did he forget his armor today?"

"Quelas is too quick though. Try to hit that!"

"And no eagle is a match for Sally!. Good luck!"

"A brutal opening by the Clegan's. Let's see how the veteran's respond."

"Quelas is side-stepping, looks like he's making an opening for Durg. Elf and wolf both attack the eagle."Quelas attack vs E2[roll0]
damage [roll1]

wolf attack vs E2 [roll2]
damage [roll3]
free trip [roll4]"Quelas is a little off, but that eagle looks like wolf food!." (Eagle at 0 HP)

"Durg's not having any of this. Watch out for that axe!"prebuff shield spell duration 10-[roll5] rnds
5' step, attack vs E2 or E1 if E2 dead
[roll6]
damage [roll7] "Good old Durg, always ready to cut something in half." (E1 dead)

"Looks like Ironbeard isn't as bad off as we thought. He's a tough one."full round to heal 4 HP using fast healer. 6/15 HP

"And now it's Sally. Look at her go. Quite the backflip into that roll."tumble away, [roll8] vs dc 15
javelin attack [roll9]
damage [roll10]
skirmish [roll11] "And Sally just misses. Tough to make that throw after rolling around like that."

planswalker
2013-06-07, 01:46 PM
The Cleganes watch impassively as their birds' assault is met and answered. E2, too injured to effectively carry on the assault, withdraws high into the air and retreats from the battle.

withdraw action to double-move with no AoO to effectively take itself out of the fight.

E3 and E4 close on the injured Ironbeard, raking him with talons and beak.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

The Cleganes continue to wait and let their opponents come to them.

stack
2013-06-07, 02:36 PM
"Ooh, Ironbeard is in bad shape now. He looks to barely be on his feet!" (0 HP)

"The opening assault looks effective so far. Let's see if the Clegans can follow up their biog opening."

"Looks like the marauders have decided to finish with the eagles before moving on."
"Solid choice, never want enemies at your back."

"Quelas sends his wolf around back to set up a flank before attacking himself."both attacking E3
Quelas [roll0]
damage [roll1]

wolf [roll2] (includes flank)
[roll3] "They did not bring their 'A' game today."

"And Durg comes in again with that axe."attacking whichever is alive [roll4] (+2 flanking bonus if E3)
damage [roll5] "Whiff. Embarassing.'

"And Sally darts around for another toss."attacking whichever is alive [roll6]
damage[roll7]
skirmish [roll8] "Well, its good to see at least one of the hometown heroes remembers what they're here for. Still, a poor showing by the Marauders." (E3 down and bleeding. I removed from map for clarity, unless you have a way to heal it)

planswalker
2013-06-07, 04:52 PM
E4 will try to finish off the weakened one.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

The Cleganes continue to hold their position and ready their attacks for when the Marauders come to them.

planswalker
2013-06-07, 04:53 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

woot! a crit! (maybe)

stack
2013-06-08, 12:33 PM
"Oh, Ironbeard is down!"

"Yeah, you can tell they are an inexperienced bunch. Not one brought a healing potion to handle these situation."

full post when I get to it, might not be before Monday.

I presume the eagle moved to make it's attack as well, since it wasn't adjacent to Ironbeard.

stack
2013-06-08, 01:06 PM
"Quelas moves in to finish the pesky eagle off."both attacking E3
Quelas [roll0]
damage [roll1]

wolf [roll]1d20+5/[roll] (includes flank)
[roll2]

stack
2013-06-08, 01:07 PM
wolf [roll0]

sally [roll1]
damage [roll2]
[roll3]

"Looks like Sally and the wolf finished the job. Now we get to see how the Marauders deal with that defensive square when short a short man!"

"Looks like Durg is advancing. Will he stick with the axe?"[/COLOR]

"He's showing some brains here, keeping behind cover as he goes, though he did start out in the open."He has partial cover for the later half of his move, but not at the beginning, if that effects your held actions.

stack
2013-06-08, 02:48 PM
"Oh, Ironbeard was faking! He's still up!"forgot about his DR. He should be at 3 HP or so, healing to 7 HP this round.

Its a new system, I'll try to be lenient with other people's mistakes too. :smallredface:

planswalker
2013-06-08, 07:48 PM
Readied Actions
Before Durg can get to cover, Thehill fires at him, having been prepared for just this happening.

within 120 ft, so no range penalty for his heavy crossbow.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Thevalley marks his approach, though holds her fire for the moment. He had cover by the time he was in range to shoot accurately.

Their Turns

The hill winds the crank on his heavy crossbow, reloading it. The others hold their position for the moment and don't even blink as the first shot from the crossbow is fired.

stack
2013-06-10, 07:26 AM
"Oh, that was a good shot, but not good enough to beat that shield spell!"

"Can't forget the defensive magic. Strong defenses on both sides of this one."

Durg shoots lance of black energy toward Themassive.eldritch blast range 60' [roll0] vs touch
damage [roll1]
(sheet shows 13 touch AC, so that's a hit) "Themassize takes a light hit, the first his team has suffered today."

Everyone else moves toward position.

planswalker
2013-06-10, 10:47 AM
ac on the sheet doesn't account for the +1 dodge and the +4 cover bonus to ac, all of which adds to touch ac. I typically don't put transient ac bonuses on the sheet, though if you want me to include them to reduce the math required, I can do so in the future. Current touch ac is actually 18, so that'd be a miss.

Though it looked like Themassif had been hit, a closer look revealed that Thevalley had his back and had pulled him away just in time.

Themountain and Thevalley return fire on Durg while Themountain and Themassif continue to hold their positions. Thehill takes the time to aim his shot carefully, sniping for greater damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
requiring a full-round action from him.
[roll3]
[roll4]

stack
2013-06-10, 12:15 PM
duh. I really need to slow down when making these battle posts. Okay, no one can hit anyone!

The bolt once again deflects off Durg's ward, the arrow following it only finding sand. Durg advancing slowly, launching another black bolt while allowing Ironbeard to catch up, missing convincingly.

Sally and Quelas take position, ready to attack.

On to Round 6!

planswalker
2013-06-10, 02:07 PM
just double-checking that you're aware that the sentinel gets +1 dodge and it's their ward who get the cover bonus. I know it's a little muddied on my team because everyone's receiving their own dodge and their partner's cover.

also, how are Sally and Quelas going to attack through the 10' platforms in their way?

Thehill spends his turn reloading, while Thevalley fires another arrow at Durg.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The melee Cleganes hold fast, ready to strike the first Marauder to close into melee.

stack
2013-06-10, 02:16 PM
Plus 1 dodge, +4 cover each. Got it.

Those are the metal grates that may/may not be pit traps. The platforms are the four wooden things with little ladders.

Durg moves and send a blast of flame at Thehill, Ironbeard staying next to him to cover him with his shield.[roll0]
damage [roll1]
recharge [roll2]

Sally darts forward to loose a javelin at Themountain.[roll3]
damage [roll4]
skirmish [roll5]
Both miss against the formidable defensive formation.

Quelas thinks twice about the chance of traps and makes a big circle, pet at his heels.

planswalker
2013-06-10, 02:28 PM
Thehill and Thevalley change targets to Quelas and fire at him point-blank. Thehill once again takes the time to aim for a critical organ.

note that you cannot make attacks of opportunity against things that have cover to you.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

stack
2013-06-10, 03:01 PM
Both attacks miss cleanly.

Durg steps up and takes a shot at Thehill.[roll0]
damage [roll1]
2 more rounds recharge on orb

Then Ironbeard charges the same target.
[roll2]
damage [roll3]
-2 ac from charge

Sally slides sideways, tossing another javelin, this time at Themassive.[roll4]
damage [roll5]
skirmish [roll6]

Quelas attacks, alongside his pet, hoping the wolf can drag his target to the ground.wolf vs the valley[roll7]
damage [roll8]
trip [roll9]

Quelas vs Thevalley [roll10] (+4 if wolf trips)
damage [roll11]
crit if needed [roll12] (+4 if wolf trips)
damage [roll13]

(Thevalley is 18+1 dodge+4 cover=23 AC, correct? If so, we have a hit for 10 damage! Crit failed to confirm.)

planswalker
2013-06-10, 04:06 PM
Thevalley takes the lucky blow in the chest, injuring her.

DR reduces that to 9

Readied Actions

Durg, when he enters within reach of Themountain, triggers the man's readied action and Themountain takes a swing at him.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Similarly, when the wolf gets within reach, Themassif strikes out with his axe he had readied.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Turns

Thehill reloads his crossbow. Thevalley fires at Quelas. Themountain takes a swing at Durg, and Themassif swings at the wolf once more if it's still conscious. If not, he'll take a 5' step to Q2 and aim for Quelas instead.

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

stack
2013-06-10, 07:49 PM
I think you have Durg and Ironbeard confused in your post. Ironbeard is the one adjacent. Ironically you hit him but would have missed Durg.)

Ironbeard drops for real this time.
Quelas takes a hit. (4/10 HP)

Quelas flanks with his wolf, both attacking the weakened Thevalley.wolf [roll0] (includes flank)
damage [roll1]
trip [roll2]

Quelas [roll3] (includes flank, +4 if tripped)
damage [roll4]
crit [roll5]
damage [roll6]

Durg attack Thehill with his axe. [roll7]
damage [roll8]

Sally tosses her last javelin at Themountain, seamlessly drawing her knife. [roll9]
damage [roll10]
skirmish [roll11]

planswalker
2013-06-10, 11:19 PM
sorry, I'm not good with names and I don't know which icon is which on the map for the new team.

also, after these two matches and that pvp grudge match against the one who talked about beating my team, I think I'll retire the Cleganes in favor of someone else. Unless, of course, you think there's something at lvl 2+ that they'd be able to test well.

Thehill takes aim at Sally, hoping to drop her before she manages to enter the fight.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Thevalley fires at Quelas, hoping to finish him off.
[roll3]
[roll4]

Themassif swings at the wolf while Themountain uses his turn to aid Thevalley and protect his baby sister from getting picked on.

Thevalley gets +2 ac from the aid another action for the turn, bringing it up to 25.

[roll5]
[roll6]

stack
2013-06-11, 07:41 AM
(All misses. Definitely a defensive struggle.)

stack
2013-06-11, 07:44 AM
(submitted previous post accidentally, meant to have rolls.)

The Marauders hammer away at the defensive square.

wolf vs Thevalley [roll0]
damage [roll1]
trip [roll2]

Quelas vs Thevalley [roll3] (+4 if prone)
damage [roll4]

Durg vs Thehill [roll5]
damage [roll6]

Sally moves to flank.

planswalker
2013-06-13, 10:39 AM
Themassif once more tries to take down that darned wolf.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Thehill reloads his crossbow. Thevalley fires at Quelas.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Themountain once more aids in his sister's defense.

stack
2013-06-17, 07:38 PM
Quelas takes the hit, lunging one last time before falling unconscious. The wolf helps.

wolf [roll0]
damage [roll1]
trip [roll2] (Quelas -1)

Quelas [roll3] +4 if prone
damage [roll4]
crit [roll5]
damage [roll6]

Durg takes his swing.
wolf [roll7]
damage [roll8]

Sally charges with her dagger
[roll9]
damage [roll10]
skirmish [roll11]

planswalker
2013-06-18, 12:33 AM
Their opponents once again failing to connect a hit on them, the Cleganes gain a renewed vigor as their opponents flag.

Thehill fires at Sally, taking careful aim as usual. Speed-fire he is not.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Thevalley fires at Durg.
[roll3]
[roll4]

Themassif swings at that stupid darned evasive wolf once more.\
[roll5]
[roll6]

Themountain aids in protecting Thevalley once more.

stack
2013-06-18, 07:31 PM
Durg's ward having expired, he recoils from the wound. (7/10 HP)

Sally dodges deftly.

The wolf doesn't even flinch.

(You want to just call this one? Unless I start rolling nothing but 20's it just isn't going to go my way.)

planswalker
2013-06-18, 07:51 PM
how about we instead go with a dozen rounds at once and speed things up. I agree things are dragging out, but it would feel like cheating to me if we don't let the dice decide. I'll show you what I'm talking about with this post. If you don't want to bother you could just have the remaining marauders forfeit I guess.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

stack
2013-06-19, 08:44 AM
Durg add 4[roll0]
damage add 6 [roll1]

Sally add 3[roll2]