View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 PrC] Shadesinger (Bardic Shadowcasting) [PEACH]

Xuldarinar
2013-06-07, 10:47 AM
SHADESINGER

Hit Die: d6

REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 3 ranks, Preform (any) 8 ranks
Special: Bardic music class feature
Special: Must have been exposed to shadow at some point prior to taking this class, either through travel on the Plane of Shadow, being subject to a mystery or spell with the darkness descriptor, or through physical contact with a shadow or dark creature.

CLASS SKILLS
The shadesinger's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Preform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), and Speak Language (n/a)
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head] Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Bardic Knowledge, Shadow Song (Fundamentals)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Shadow Magic Aptitude, Umbral Sight (darkvision 30 ft)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Shadow Song (1st)|-
4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Shadow Craft (basic)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Shadow Song (2nd)|-
6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Sustaining Shadows (eat 1 meal/week)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Shadow Song (3rd)|-
8th|+6|+2|+6|+2|Shadow Craft (Instrument), Shadow Song (4th)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
9th|+6|+3|+6|+3|Shadow Song (5th)|-
10th|+7|+3|+7|+3|Shadow Song (6th)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

CLASS FEATURES

Weapon Proficiencies: Shadesingers gain no proficiency with any weapons, armor, or shields.
Bardic Knowledge: A shadesinger continues to collect the odd bits of lore and knowledge that bards acquire. She can add her shadesinger class level to her bardic knowledge checks, so her bardic knowledge checks have a bonus equal to her bard level + her shadesinger level + her Int modifier.
Shadow Song (Su): The Shadesinger gains the ability to channel shadow through song. By expending a use of Bardic Music she may cast a single mystery of a level no higher than the that indicated on the table (see parenthesis).
She knows all mysteries of a level she can cast and her Shadesinger levels stack with her Bard levels for determining how many uses of Bardic Music she possesses. Her effective caster level, for casting mysteries this way, is equal to that for the spellcasting class chosen to progress with this PrC.
The saving throw for any mystery, cast with Shadowsong, has a DC of 10 + the mystery's level + her charisma modifier.
Even though a shadesinger does not require any special gestures to use shadow song, besides what ever they use to preform, her shadow still makes gestures corresponding with the mystery being cast. As such, when ever you cast a mystery using shadow song, observers can make a DC 12 Spot check to note that your shadow is making different gestures from you.
Spellcasting: Beginning at 1st level and every even numbered level thereafter, a shade singer gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which she belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a shadesinger, she must decide to which class to add each level for the purposes of determining spells per day and spells known.
Shadow Magic Aptitude: Starting at 2nd level, a shadesinger gains the ability to expend a use of bardic music to add the darkness descriptor to a single spell they cast. In addition, all spells of the darkness or cold descriptor they cast are cast at +1 caster level, but spells of the light or fire descriptor are cast at -1 caster level.
Umbral Sight (Su): Due to continuing usage and exposure to shadow magic, at 2nd-level, a shadesinger's vision extends slightly into the Plane of Shadow. She gains darkvision out to 30 feet. If you already have darkvision, or gain it from another source, the effective distance of that vision is increased by 30 feet.
Shadow Craft (Su): Upon reaching 4th level, you can create small items, such as tools or weapons, from shadow. You need merely place your hands into any shadow and draw forth the desired item. It cannot possess moving or flexible parts, so you could not create a crossbow, a rope, a flail, or a cabinet. You can create nearly any weapon, simple tool, or item, however.
You can create one item weighing a number of pounds up to twice your class level, or two items whose combined weight does not exceed that limit. using shadow craft is a standard action. If the item leaves your possession, it fades away in 1d4 rounds. Otherwise it lasts for 1 hour per class level. Shadow craft is usable a number of times per day equal to one-half your class level. Items created by shadow craft cannot be empaled as material components or foci in spellcasting. If you want to create an item that mimics a specific item you have seen, you must succeed a DC 20 Craft check of the appropriate sort.
At 8th level, you can use shadow craft to create any instrument you are capable of playing. Your check may be based upon the appropriate craft check or preform with the instrument may be substituted. Instruments created by means of this ability may have moving parts, and may be used to assist in casting spells as well as make use of bardic music. Instruments with moving parts created with this ability count as 2 objects for the purposes of this ability.
Sustaining Shadows (Ex): Starting at 6th level, you lose various biological needs, as you draw power from the Plane of Shadow. This functions as the shadow caster ability, except you only acquire the ability to only require a single meal once a week. If you have sustaining shadows from another class, you automatically gain the next sustaining shadow ability.

Alternative Entry (Dark Humor): A jester (Dragon Magazine Compendium) can enter this class, substituting the need for bardic music with jester's performance. If this entry is taken; Replace all mentions of bardic music with jester's performance, bardic knowledge with jester's audacity, and all mentions of the bard class with the jester class.

Alternative Entry (Prestigious Bardic Music): If this class is entered by means of the prestige bard, or the virtuoso, for the purposes of abilities; spells from the spellcasing class used to enter and advanced by prestige bard or virtuoso count as bard spells.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Looking for more mysteries? Please refer to the following links:

Decent of Shadows (Homebrew) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74519)

Urban Magic (WotC Web Enhancement) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a)

eftexar
2013-06-07, 06:12 PM
To me this seems weaker than just theurging the two. Especially since shadow magic is generally weak to begin with and the bard is a half caster.
Sure this PrC has a few more mysteries per day, but I don't get metashadow feats for completing paths, my BaB suffers, I lose out on bardic music, bardic knowledge end up useless, and I never gain umbral vision. Strictly speaking I would be better off just taking straight levels in the two classes.

Shadowsong says you can cast mysteries with bardic uses, but doesn't say from where. Do I have access to the whole list or do I have to learn them through a shadowcasting class first?

Xuldarinar
2013-06-07, 06:37 PM
To me this seems weaker than just theurging the two. Especially since shadow magic is generally weak to begin with and the bard is a half caster.
Sure this PrC has a few more mysteries per day, but I don't get metashadow feats for completing paths, my BaB suffers, I lose out on bardic music, bardic knowledge end up useless, and I never gain umbral vision. Strictly speaking I would be better off just taking straight levels in the two classes.

Shadowsong says you can cast mysteries with bardic uses, but doesn't say from where. Do I have access to the whole list or do I have to learn them through a shadowcasting class first?

You are right, It would be weaker than theurging (Bard/Shadowcaster/Noctumancer/Mystic Theurge). I wanted to make creative use of bardic music. If you have advice though on making it more powerful, what levels to grant things and such, by all means say so.

As for which mysteries, my intent was the whole list (Which is relatively small without homebrew) but you are right in that I had not specified. I should make it clearer.

What immediately comes to mind is grant a few shadowcaster abilities (like umbral vision) with the class, specify mystery use, and throw in something for bardic knowledge. If its a huge problem I could increase the BaB to a full progression as well.

eftexar
2013-06-07, 06:52 PM
First off some better wording for shadowsong:

The Shadesinger gains the ability to channel shadow through song. By expending a use of Bardic Music she may cast a single mystery of a level no higher than the that indicated on the table (see parenthesis).
She knows all mysteries of a level she can cast and her Shadesinger levels stack with her Bard levels for determining how many uses of Bardic Music she possesses. Her effective caster level, for casting mysteries this way, is equal to that for the spellcasting class chosen to progress with this PrC.
The saving throw for any mystery, cast with Shadowsong, has a DC of 10 + the mystery's level + her charisma modifier.

Then just change the writing in parenthesis to a number. Listing specifically what the number is for, each time, is redundant.

As for abilities, besides progressing Bardic Knowledge, I would port over some form of Umbral Vision and Shadowcraft. You might even add the ability to expend Bardic Music to add enchantments (like cold, ghost touch, or shadowstriking) to your weapon or use 6th level mysteries.

Xuldarinar
2013-06-07, 08:06 PM
First off some better wording for shadowsong:

Then just change the writing in parenthesis to a number. Listing specifically what the number is for, each time, is redundant.

As for abilities, besides progressing Bardic Knowledge, I would port over some form of Umbral Vision and Shadowcraft. You might even add the ability to expend Bardic Music to add enchantments (like cold, ghost touch, or shadowstriking) to your weapon or use 6th level mysteries.

I've made a few changes.

-Added Shadowcraft (basic), which later progresses to allow the creation of instruments.

- Added bardic knowledge

-Increased the maximum level of mysteries allowed, and took your text for Shadow Song.

-Added Umbral Sight, along with Sustaining shadows. One rank in each being granted.

Edit:
- Added mystery-use spot check related fluff to shadow song, at DC 12.

eftexar
2013-06-07, 10:57 PM
Definitely looks more in line with other PrCs now. I think it's a little weird trying to figure out balance since spellcasting PrCs aren't really usually built around casters with class features or half casters.

Xuldarinar
2013-06-07, 11:18 PM
Definitely looks more in line with other PrCs now. I think it's a little weird trying to figure out balance since spellcasting PrCs aren't really usually built around casters with class features or half casters.

It certainly is. I mean the examples I have to work with are; Dirgesinger, Lyric Thaumaturge, Sublime cord, Seeker of the Song, War Chanter, Virtuoso, Fochlucan Lyrist, and Stormsinger.

As you can see, this class doesn't truly stand in line with any of these.