PDA

View Full Version : Odd Idea: Mage Slayer Warlock

Telonius
2013-06-07, 11:47 AM
So, the thought occurred to me while I was pondering a recent thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286982). Warlock. It has some nifty arcane effects, and the ability (after level 12) to create any magic item (if you have the creation feat). But then, I considered the Mage Slayer line of feats, and realized - there really isn't much cause for a Warlock to have a particularly high caster level, except if he's targeting something that has spell resistance. And if his target has SR, that's what a Wand of Assay Resistance is for.

So, my question is ... would this be useful at all to a Clawlock? Would the hit you'd take to your caster level (for purposes of your Invocations overcoming spell resistance) be worth it? Or would this be too feat intensive to pull off (requiring probably Combat Reflexes at minimum)?

I'm imagining a build using a Changeling, something like Warlock13/Binder1/Hellfire Warlock3/Warshaper3, with Mage Slayer, Eldritch Claws, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, and Scribe Scroll as the basic feats. (EDIT: And Combat Expertise as a prereq for Improved Trip...) Warshaper would get 5 extra feet of reach (and avoid rules questions about whether or not Eldritch Glaive is eligible for Trip).

Blightedmarsh
2013-06-07, 11:51 AM
Vitriolic blast ignores SR.

Snowbluff
2013-06-07, 11:54 AM
Indeed it does. Using your Eldritch Claws avoids SR as well. Consider combining it with Beast Strike.

Eldritch Claws precludes using my favorite Essences, however. A lot of my favorite Invocations use SR as well. I guess you could lead with Chilling Tentacles.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-07, 12:37 PM
Just take practical spellcaster to get all the lost CL back if you feel the need. Still, it could make for a cool warlock.

Now I want to make a mageslayer VOP warforged warlock. Just to be silly though.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-07, 12:41 PM
Pick up Blend Into Shadows from DotU for HiPS. Dip a level of Mindbender for Mindsight.

Snowbluff
2013-06-07, 12:42 PM
Just take practical spellcaster to get all the lost CL back if you feel the need. Still, it could make for a cool warlock.

Now I want to make a mageslayer VOP warforged warlock. Just to be silly though.

Practiced Spellcaster, and that's a lot of feats.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-07, 12:43 PM
Yes, lots of feats, but you don't need that many feats as a warlock to be acceptable. Feats help, and I wouldn't use this in high op, but still, fun to play.

Snowbluff
2013-06-07, 12:47 PM
Warlocks can be pretty dependent on feats. They use them for extra options.

Pick up Blend Into Shadows from DotU for HiPS. Dip a level of Mindbender for Mindsight.

Playing something innately Telepathic would help, since the Invocation for Mindbender has SR. Greensnake Naga might. IIRC, they can see every creature ever with their Mindsight.

Blend Into the Shadows, so you could use some ranks in Hide as well.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-07, 01:09 PM
Playing something innately Telepathic would help, since the Invocation for Mindbender has SR. Greensnake Naga might. IIRC, they can see every creature ever with their Mindsight.
SR is irrelevant to Mindsight. You don't actually have to be able to talk with a creature telepathically to find their mind.

Blend Into the Shadows, so you could use some ranks in Hide as well.
Well yes.

Snowbluff
2013-06-07, 01:18 PM
SR is irrelevant to Mindsight. You don't actually have to be able to talk with a creature telepathically to find their mind.

No, as in you have to waste an Invocation on Charm, which has SR.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-07, 01:19 PM
No, as in you have to waste an Invocation on Charm, which has SR.

Yeah, but Mindsight is worth it.

Telonius
2013-06-07, 01:19 PM
Hm, looking at the options so far ... tripping seems like it would be just too many feats to spend on it (Combat Expertise, Improved Trip), given the other possibilities.

So, Changeling Warlock12/Mindbender1/Binder1/Hellfire Warlock3/Warshaper3. I don't think there ought to be any other non-Warlock levels there; or if there are, they have to do something that outweighs Imbue Item. Feats: Mage Slayer, Eldritch Claws, Combat Reflexes, Scribe Scroll, Mindsight, Blend Into Shadows, plus one spare feat (if no Flaws) to spend on an Extra Invocation or Practiced Spellcaster.

You'd get a +14 BAB at 20, have invocations as a Warlock16 (1 or 2 Dark, depending on whether you take Extra Invocation; put that way, I'd probably go for Extra Invocation), 7d6 Eldritch Blast (not counting Hellfire). You threaten everything within 10 feet of you (more if you're Enlarged through any means), and nothing within 10 feet of you can cast without generating an AoO. You're immune to stunning and critical hits. You get +4 to Strength and Constitution. You can get up to three Natural Attacks, two of which deal Eldritch Blast damage. You can hide in plain sight. You can pinpoint any intelligent creature, and communicate telepathically with them. And if you have enough time, gold, XP, and skill ranks in UMD, you can make a scroll of anything.

Yeah, this is looking pretty nice. :smallamused:

Alienist
2013-06-07, 01:49 PM
You have at-will dispel magic, but can it actually be used for counter spelling?

Snowbluff
2013-06-07, 02:43 PM
Extra invocation can't be used to gain a Dark. It works on a one-grade-lower basis.

Yeah, but Mindsight is worth it.
Depends. Finding a mindsight with a better range would be much better, considering the range at which mages can engage.

You have at-will dispel magic, but can it actually be used for counter spelling?

IIRC, the Dispels are based on 'as Dispel Magic', and are capped at +10.

Voracious does let you counterspell.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-07, 03:09 PM
Depends. Finding a mindsight with a better range would be much better, considering the range at which mages can engage.
Skin of Proteus+Assume Supernatural Ability on a Spell Weaver; thousand mile telepathy (and thus thousand mile Mindsight).

Saves you a level, costs you an additional feat and an item slot; also effectively gives you suped up Wildshape.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-07, 03:23 PM
Another option would be Warlock13/Chameleon2/Mindbender1/HFW3/Binder1

Here's the thing... Warlock12 lets you make items... assuming you have the item creation feat. Chameleon2 allows you to have a shifting feat that you can use to make said items with, then while you are out in the field, it's an extra invocation (unless there's another feat more relevant to you). HFW and Binder gives you some extra damage output, and you're still using Invocations as a 17th level Warlock.

This lets you pick up Mindsight (shift Mindbender down to level 6 so you can pick up Mindsight at level 9) and being your own Magic-Mart.

If you are going to Mage Slayer, you might as well go the whole nine yards and get Pierce Magical Concealment/Protection.