PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help building Hexblade-esque fear warrior

cloudjsh7
2013-06-07, 01:42 PM
So my 3.5 group finally switched to PF. Yay!
I'm a Level 10 Hexblade and looking for something similar in PF. I'm aware of Master Arminas' Witchblade (Hexblade conversion), and as awesome as it is, I'm trying to stay away from Homebrew as much as possible.

Any ideas on how to build a cursing, fear-based, full BAB badass? I like Witch but the BAB is lacking. Also, Summoner would be cool (I took the Dark Companion ACF and its too awesome to give up in terms if character flavor)

Help a bro out! =P

NightbringerGGZ
2013-06-07, 02:04 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with the Hexblade, but it sounds a bit like the Magus class. In particular, a Magus with the Hexcrafter archetype.

You're a 3/4 BAB class with a D8 hit die and cast spells using Int. You get free enhancement bonuses to your weapon (usually a sword) and can use Spell Combat, which lets you get full attacks and cast offensive spells.

The Hexcrafter archetype lets you cast the spells Bestow Curse and Major Curse when you use your Spell Strike ability (the spell is delivered with a melee attack). It also lets you pick witch Hexes as you level up. Hexes can be used as often as you want but only affect a target once every 24 hours. You can use Hexes to debuff, forcing an enemy to roll twice on D20s and take the worst roll, suffer -2 penalties to various stats (AC, Attack Rolls, Saves or Skill Checks). Plus there's a bunch of other cool options.

If that sounds like what you want there's a guide to the Hexcrafter on the paizo forums. Look for the Guide to the Class Guides thread.

cloudjsh7
2013-06-07, 02:50 PM
Yeah, the Hexcrafter Magus was definitely a good concept that seemed to fit quite well.

My key points for this character are:

Melee-focused
Main role: debuffer
(Preferable) fear-based

I know that the Magus can up their enchancement bonus to their weapons with their Arcane Pool... but I'm also hoping for something a bit more full BAB. Anyone?

Barbarian might be cool too. My character does have sort of a temper.
I was also trying to aim for something Cha-based as well if possible.

stack
2013-06-07, 03:11 PM
Well, magus was my first thought as well. Could go anti-paladin with a focus on intimidation. There's a feat, dazzling display?, that let's you intimidate over an area of effect. It would be CHA focused and have some debuffing on a full BAB chassis.

Eldonauran
2013-06-07, 03:12 PM
I know that the Magus can up their enchancement bonus to their weapons with their Arcane Pool... but I'm also hoping for something a bit more full BAB. Anyone?

The Hex Magus is probably your best bet, as Nightbringer suggested. You won't even miss the full BAB if you choose the right hexes and the right weapons. Get proficiency with a whip and crack touch spells on people with a touch attack from 15 feet away (Trait: Heirloom weapon is a good way to get it).

Evil Eye is a great hex and will seriously debuff your enemies (no 24 hour limit there). Cackle every round as a move action to keep it going and snap them with the whip to get another spell on them. If they get too close, smack them with a spiked guantlet (you have one of those right? Good) and reposition yourself as needed.

If you take Eldritch Heritage chain of feats, getting the Abyssal bloodline 9th level power (character level 11) will need you a +6 to str over your career. You get claws as well. Almost completely makes up for the medium attack progression you get, and with the Arcane Pool to enchant your weapon, you can just layer on weapon abilities so that when you hit with the whip, things get hurt.

I used to play Duskblades and Hexblades in 3.5e. I was extremely hesitant to use the Magus when I converted to Pathfinder. The BAB and Int based prepared casting was my biggest hurdle. From the other side, I have not once regretted my decision. For a spell slinger, combat oriented arcane fighter from the start, Magus is my preferred class.

Corlindale
2013-06-07, 03:14 PM
The Dread class from Dreamscarred Press might be suitable for this. That's pretty much a melee class based entirely on fear-debuffing

Daftendirekt
2013-06-07, 05:34 PM
Well, magus was my first thought as well. Could go anti-paladin with a focus on intimidation. There's a feat, dazzling display?, that let's you intimidate over an area of effect. It would be CHA focused and have some debuffing on a full BAB chassis.

Also take Intimidating Prowess to add STR to Intimidate as well, and pick up Cornugon Smash to get a free Intimidate attempt whenever you hit something with a Power Attack.

I really think a Hexcrafter Magus would be a good fit though. Be a Bladebound (stacks with any other Magus archetype) to get a free magical (and intelligent!) sword that has its own scaling enhancement bonus and powers. That plus the Arcane Accuracy arcana plus being able to Spell Combat True Strike means you'll barely miss full BAB.

cloudjsh7
2013-06-07, 05:49 PM
I'm running a PF game with a Bladebound Hexcrafter Magus actually. :smallsmile: He's ridiculously cool.

The Dread class from Dreamscarred Press is AWESOME though. My gaming group is definitely wary of psionics though (a paranoia I, as the DM, instilled in them years ago due to my totally biased view of them. Now I think they're pretty neat and not as broken as people think.)

I'm all about pumping Intimidate, so any feats/magic items would be great. In 3.5, I had a 36+ to Intimidate at Level 10.

Daftendirekt
2013-06-07, 06:03 PM
My gaming group is definitely wary of psionics though (a paranoia I, as the DM, instilled in them years ago due to my totally biased view of them. Now I think they're pretty neat and not as broken as people think.)

Yeah, when I first joined my D&D group they were all like "**** no, psionics is so broken". Then we did an all-psionic party once and completely rid ourselves of that silly idea. It's no more broken than core magic; less so, I'd say.