PDA

View Full Version : Wizard or Sorcerer?

drakoonity
2013-06-07, 03:44 PM
So in this other campaign I'm going to try and get leadership and as we don't have any spell casters i figured I would pick one up, my only problem is I don't know which one I should choose. With either one I'm going to try and convince the DM to let me have a ring of wizardry but if he doesn't oh well. So which one do you all think I should choose, I'm looking for more of an offensive destroy kind of thing and support as a back up when needed, any help would be greatly appreciated.

MrNobody
2013-06-07, 03:49 PM
Since you say you have no spellcaster at all I suggest a generalist wizard.
In that way you can cover almost every role and you can constantly improve the amount of spell known, adapting his role to your needs.
Expecially in 3.5, sorcerer is a very limited class...

Renegade Paladin
2013-06-07, 03:51 PM
That depends. How much paperwork do you want to do?

drakoonity
2013-06-07, 03:53 PM
I have time so paperwork isn't going to bother me much. In my spare time I'm writing down every info about every spell, feat, and character into a journal lol.

Marnath
2013-06-07, 04:34 PM
I have time so paperwork isn't going to bother me much. In my spare time I'm writing down every info about every spell, feat, and character into a journal lol.

Have you seen this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0) guide to the wizard yet? Or this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868534/The_Mailman:_A_Direct_Damage_Sorcerer) one for sorcerer? They're pretty cool.

Renegade Paladin
2013-06-07, 04:43 PM
Then probably wizard. Sorcerer is good for slinging around phenomenal cosmic power without needing to manage a spellbook, but wizards can have the whole toolbox if they want.

ericgrau
2013-06-07, 08:54 PM
For high level utility, wizard, but for your goals either really. Either with a nice battlefield control list will be helpful. Both can also do low level utility via a pile of scrolls. Both should also spam low level hour/level party buffs & other hour/levels to burn their extra spell slots, and for that a sorcerer is better.

I wouldn't recommend blasting on either class. Reduced level + blasting don't go well together. But low level battlefield control & status buffs (like haste or greater invis) stay useful forever. And does well in combat. So he can still be offensive in a supportive sort of way.