PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Constrictor Constraints

JellyPooga
2013-06-07, 04:37 PM
Ok, so I'm starting in a new PF game in a week or so (starting level 4) and been contemplating playing a Little Drood with a BIG companion. I first thought of being a Halfling Dino-rider, with either a Pteranodon or Anklyosaurus as his mount, but then I was checking through the standard Animal Companion options and noticed that the Constrictor Snake is Large as it's 4th level upgrade. I could be wrong, but I've not seen another AC quite as big at that level! I just had to check it out and was pretty impressed. It's Bite attack might only do 1d4 damage, but it's massive STR of 24 gives it a respectable +10 damage.

So, how can I improve this formidable serpent? The Animal Companion Feat list is somewhat limiting, to say the least and I have to wait until level 8 (at the very least) before getting the 3 Int required to take whatever I want.

Little help please Playground!

Eldonauran
2013-06-07, 07:27 PM
First tip, get leather armor made for your animal companion (yeah, i know, armored snake?). It has no check penalty, so no actual penalty for wearing it without proficiency. Large and non-humanoid would be at a x4 cost, before making it masterwork (studded leather made masterwork is best without armor prof, since there is no check penalty after the -1 masterwork)

Second tip, did you know animal companions can have Archetypes? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions/animal-companion-archetypes). Yep, check them out. Bodyguard seems apt for you. And since it doesn't get multiple natural attacks, it has no need of multiattack. It effectively gets the Diehard feat too.

Pathfinder made toughness more inviting (pretty much +1 hp per level). Weapon focus never hurts and improved natural armor is good too. You will be buffing your snake with your spells, right?

Keneth
2013-06-07, 07:34 PM
Actually, companions without three or more attacks, receive an iterative attack with their primary weapon. It's most of the other ACs that don't need multiattack, because very few of them actually have any secondary attacks in Pathfinder.

JellyPooga
2013-06-09, 04:11 AM
Ooo, I'd forgotten about armour having no penalties for non-proficiency if the ACP is 0. Thanks for the reminder. Looks like Clarisse (yes, I'm calling my giant man-eating snake Clarisse) will be sporting the latest in protective leather fashion-wear!

As much as I kind of like the look of those Archetypes, I think I'm going to keep it simple with this one, but thanks for the heads up. I'd not known about them previously.

I'd figured on giving her Blind-Fight and Improved Initiative as her first two feats (seemed kinda 'snakey') and yes, I'll be buffing her with spells. Is it worth sacrificing the extra 2 points of Str to bother with the Int 3 to get feats of choice? By the time she can take any feat, she's not really going to qualify for anything worthwhile, as far as I can see. Am I wrong, in my assessment?