View Full Version : thought on a magic class

blelliot
2013-06-07, 05:11 PM
In a low magic world, could the adept be used as a magic using classfor pcs? It was a thought I had on trying to keep magic under control. Please let me know what you think

Jormengand
2013-06-07, 05:16 PM
Yes, that would work. The Adept is tier four, and so roughly on par with a rogue, barbarian or well-made fighter of the same level.

blelliot
2013-06-07, 05:22 PM
Yes, that would work. The Adept is tier four, and so roughly on par with a rogue, barbarian or well-made fighter of the same level.

Well then I wanna run this by evrybody for some feedback. This new worlds class choices are: adept, barbarian, fighter, knight, marshal, rogue, scout, and swashbuckler. Any thoughts? Btw the whole tier system is greek to me, so I don't take it into account for this world. Nothing against it, just don't understand it.

blelliot
2013-06-07, 05:25 PM
Also, would expanding the adepts spell list be advisable? Ie since its taking over the role of all casters in this world, giving them a few more spells to choose from to make up for their lack of choice in spells

Jormengand
2013-06-07, 05:35 PM
Well then I wanna run this by evrybody for some feedback. This new worlds class choices are: adept, barbarian, fighter, knight, marshal, rogue, scout, and swashbuckler. Any thoughts? Btw the whole tier system is greek to me, so I don't take it into account for this world. Nothing against it, just don't understand it.

Those are all about tier four-five, so the short answer is "that works". A quick run-down of the tier system for you:

Tier 0: Beholder Mage, Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil: Powers are liable to include blocking the attacks of deities as an immediate action.
Tier 1: Wizard, Cleric: Can do pretty much anything at high levels.
Tier 2: Sorcerer, Oracle, Psion: Can do a lot of different, powerful things.
Tier 3: Magus, Inquisitor, Bard, Dragon Disciple: Has a small array of different things that they can do well.
Tier 4: Rogue, Paladin, Barbarian, well-made fighter: Can do one thing really well, or lots of things fairly well.
Tier 5: Fighter: Does one or two things, and not as well as they could do.
Tier 6: Commoner, most truenamers: Almost useless. Either the class doesn't function properly, or it's not designed to do anything useful.

Also, would expanding the adepts spell list be advisable? Ie since its taking over the role of all casters in this world, giving them a few more spells to choose from to make up for their lack of choice in spells

They can already cast some offensive spells (Burning hands, scorching ray, lightning bolt), some healing spells (cure assorted wounds, heal, raise dead) some buffs (protect from alignment, animal buffs, polymorph) and some battlefield control spells (Darkness, deeper darkness, wall of fire, wall of stone). They should be fine.

blelliot
2013-06-07, 05:51 PM
They can already cast some offensive spells (Burning hands, scorching ray, lightning bolt), some healing spells (cure assorted wounds, heal, raise dead) some buffs (protect from alignment, animal buffs, polymorph) and some battlefield control spells (Darkness, deeper darkness, wall of fire, wall of stone). They should be fine.
The reason I ask is I want to allow prestige bard, prestige paladin, and prestige ranger, and a couple of those wouldn't be possible without certain spells. I know it wouldn't be hard to change this, but I don't wish to ban these classes entirely. Any thoughts?

eggynack
2013-06-07, 06:15 PM
The reason I ask is I want to allow prestige bard, prestige paladin, and prestige ranger, and a couple of those wouldn't be possible without certain spells. I know it wouldn't be hard to change this, but I don't wish to ban these classes entirely. Any thoughts?
Can't you either just let folks take the regular version of those classes, or change the prerequisites to suit your needs? Neither of those are particularly imbalancing.

Urpriest
2013-06-07, 06:37 PM
Can't you either just let folks take the regular version of those classes, or change the prerequisites to suit your needs? Neither of those are particularly imbalancing.

That said, adding those particular spells shouldn't be unbalancing. None of the pre-req spells for those classes are game-breakers IIRC.

That said, as others have probably pointed out, you should seriously consider whether D&D is the best system for what you're trying to do.